Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

http://media.putfile.com/Recoil65You may have to watch Recoil twice. Try to follow the gun. This video is basically a "show and tell" custom built on a Thompson Encore (fancy version of the Thompson Contender). The Caliber... 600 Nitro Express. That's right...an elephant gun round in a handgun. The story goes that the guy that built it is some kind of custom gun maker, and built this as an exhibition piece. He takes it to the range with him just to show it off, and the big guy that shot it (in the video) had been bugging the builder to let him shoot it. Now think about this...only until fairly recently (early-mid '80's IIRC) the 600 Nitro Express was hands down the biggest, nastiest, hardest hitting, and heaviest recoiling weapon you could buy. It was designed for one simple purpose...to knock an elephant flat on his a$$. IMO, it was really built as an exhibition piece for guys "compensating"...this cartridge is known for breaking collarbones, arms, shoulders...of the shooter! Think about this, in the gun world they use what is termed as a "recoil index" to kind of give prospective buyers an idea of what a gun kicks like.

A .30-06 gets a rating of a 1.0, which for many people is about the limit of what they can shoot multiple rounds thru comfortably. A 243 is rated at like a .4, a .270 was like a .8, etc. The ..600 Nitro Express is rated at a 9.4...9.4 times more punishing power than a 30-06. Now watch the video...

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

puttitin wrote:
He said the F word!!!:shock:
I think I would say a whole bunch of them if I had a gun come up and slap me in the face like that!!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

OK , so it shoots an elephant round. It looks to me that you could shoot the one in front of you, and that one sneaking up behind you gets clonked on the head!

:cheeky1:2 for 1!

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

That big guy knew it was gonna kick like a mule so he had both hands on it and it STILL flew out of his grip and back about 20 feet. No thanks, I am happy getting slapped from my 30:06.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's kinda reminiscent of the early Ruger small frame .44 magnum. I bought one of those nasty things in 1963 or 64. The thing was absolutely impossible to hold. After each shot it was pointing straight up in your hand and usually took a hunk out of the web of one's thumb to boot. I kept it about a month and the replaced it with a S&W .44. What a difference, that was a fine shootin' iron.

BTW that guy was lucky it didn't take a chunk out of his forhead on the way by.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Can you imagine if he hadn't changed his stance and decided to fire that beast one handed????? He would have it sticking out of his head.:shock:I did hear one guy call him a big sissy just after he changed his stance. It also appears that there is a compensator on the end of the barrel. I wonder if the name caller volunteered to fire the gun after that.

We've got a very good gunsmith around here and he loves to build "wildcat" guns. He built a .50 cal(not BMG)magnum for a guy. Fellow goes out to the range, fires the gun, stitches necessary for the BIG gash that the scope bit out of him. Did I mention the guy's a deputy?:DNo ribbing from fellow LEOs no doubt.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

This past November I took a stupid shot and ended up with the scope from my 50 cal BP taking a chunk out of my nose. Blackened both my eyes and has left a permanent gouge in the bridge of my nose. Been shooting all my life. It was an almost straight down shot from a tree stand and apparently I could not get my head far enough back so I slipped the butt into my armpit. Well when I touched off I took the full force of the recoil on the bridge of my nose and on the ridge of my eyebrow. We all can do something stupid once in a while. :gunhead::doh::doh::doh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.