Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

Looks like a nice road to ride, but I wouldn't be riding as crazy as the guy in the video! I'd be at a much more leisurely pace.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Redeye1620 ...Sorry about that.

CBH.....I was thinking the same thing. I went to the store this morning and on the way home and sitting at a red light I watched a guy with no helmet on hot rodding his GW thru a red light and around the parking lot of Burger King. I figure it is just a matter of time before he grows up the hard way.

Harold

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Need to consider that the camera lens can change the perception of speed to the viewer. The normal sport cameras are often somewhat "wide-angle" lenses.

I did a leisurely run through the Ortega Highway on a GL-1200 once, but in looking at the video, an easy 50mph run looked like a MotoGP trial.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Why just 'Wish'!

If you never put forth the effort to go, that's all you'll ever do..... 'Wish'!

Although as previously stated that's in the Swiss Alps, there are plenty of beautiful roads/passes to see, just 4 -5 days riding west of you!

This is what you'll see at Lake Tahoe ...

There are those who dream .... and those who DO! As the old saying goes, Nothing Ventured .... Nothing Gained.

The clock of time is running down .... make it a point to get out and do that 'Bucket List' now! :cooler: There ain't no 'Tomorrow' when you are always making excuses. :baffling:

Dusty.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Need to consider that the camera lens can change the perception of speed to the viewer. The normal sport cameras are often somewhat "wide-angle" lenses.
I agree, but I don't think that would effect the view of the way he is passing other vehicles! :shock:

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well i'll tell you why Dusty...I have a gut full of Lymphoma and my wife has Alzimers. All my rides are close to home. Wishing is all i have left.

Harold

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

I have Rode Furka Pass several times and it's Amazing :cheesygrin:

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

A U.S. astronaut worked for years to be choosen to go to the moon. He made the selection and went to the moon. When he returned to earth he soon became despondent and suicidal. He had achieved his big goal in life and without any new goals had nothing to look forward to.

Moral: No matter what our goal is we should always have more goals awaiting the completion of our present goal.

So Harold, maybe Dusty is dead on. No matter how bad the cards that are dealt to us we should always keep hoping the next hand will have Aces in it and we can reap the reward and move on to the next dream. Do not give up. Maybe just set smaller goals but definitely set still have some bigger goals.

I personally have one big final goal. I want to come sliding in sideways spraying St. Peter at the Pearly Gates with gravel hollaring "Did you see that!"

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

I see a lot of that riding style with the BMW guys over here he spends to much time on the wrong side of the road for my likeing

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Agreed, Peter! .... it's just a matter of time before he's a 'statistic'. :?

Yes .... we all have to have goals, trying to achieve them and then setting new ones when we have. :thumbsup:

... otherwise, you are a defeatist. There is always a way around an obstacle. :grinner:

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

monkeytrucker wrote:
A U.S. astronaut worked for years to be choosen to go to the moon. He made the selection and went to the moon. When he returned to earth he soon became despondent and suicidal. He had achieved his big goal in life and without any new goals had nothing to look forward to.

Moral: No matter what our goal is we should always have more goals awaiting the completion of our present goal.

So Harold, maybe Dusty is dead on. No matter how bad the cards that are dealt to us we should always keep hoping the next hand will have Aces in it and we can reap the reward and move on to the next dream. Do not give up. Maybe just set smaller goals but definitely set still have some bigger goals.

The best post I have seen on here. Add this to Dusty's signature "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go" and I think you will live one happy life.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

As I presented to groups in my better days before numerous cerebral vascular accidents (minor to moderate strokes)robbed me of needed memory recall, the Astronaut thing was a true story but the name of the astronaut escapes me.

The model for that story is called;

The two great tragedies of life.

#1 Failure to reach all of your goals

#2 Reaching all of your goals

If one fails to reach their goals then they probably set their goals too high.

If one reaches all ot their goals then they have failed to set new goals.

Another model of life is;

Roles and Goals

We all have roles in life. Riding our bikes is a role, doing our jobs is a role, being a good parent is a role and so on.

In each of our roles we need to have goals. Places to ride to, to be a safer rider or a better rider, to do our jobs better, to be a better parent and so on.

I hope no one is upset if I throw some of those models of life in here every so often. Sometimes they seem to fit.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

If you can't cride like that and stay in your lane you are asking for trouble. I saw a lot of mistakes in his riding besides crossing the center line. He needs to improve his skills.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

Jaymom,

The fact that you are still even riding with all that you have on your plate, is more than less than .oo1 percent of any population would do. You are still dreaming big, maybe just not as you would if you had different circumstances.

I saw what my Dad went through with my Mom when she had Alzheimers, and he was busy 28 hours a day. Anyone who can take care of someone with that disease, plus what you have going on with lymphoma, is a hero 4 times over in my book....

ME

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Yes ... looking after a loved one with Alzheimer's is no picnic, that's for sure.

I moved back here to Ontario to be the sole Caregiver for bothmy Mom and Dad. My Dad suffered from it, along with other complications and my Mom was starting to fail as well. I was very busy looking after the both of them, but not too busy to take Dad for a ride on Fathers day at the age of 88, a month before he died. Perhaps some of you will remember this.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Dusty that picture is priceless. I'm sure you both had a great time.

I rode my GW up to my moms in MI this past summer and she was a little upset because I didnt bring a spare helmet.

Here is mom with her new helmet on our 250 mile ride. I wouldn't trade that ride for any other ride I've been on. She was nothing but bubbly smiles all day.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

I'll bet your dad enjoyed that ride Dusty !!:thumbsup: And Parman's mom sure has the Goldwing grin!!:action:

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

Awesome video, but I have to agree riding like that you are an accident waiting to happen! I drove a car up the Furka Pass about 45 years ago and remember it vividly - the ride scared the hell out of me. There was very little traffic on the road and I don't think I saw a single m/cycle. At that time, there were almost no barriers on the sides of the road - just an open drop down the mountainside! About 90% of the way to the top, the car spluttered to a halt. It was a big powerful Rover that my aunt had loaned me for the trip. We coasted back a little to a lookout point, turned around and went back the way we had come. Turned out to be wrong fuel/air mixture at that high altitude - that was before the days of fuel injection, and I had no idea how to adjust the carbs even if I had tools to do it, which I didn't!
Would be a fantastic ride for a Goldwing now! Another one for the bucket list?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.