Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my floats are sticking on my 77 gl1000, so the carbs have to come off, I've been reading about the carb conversion so you only have to mess around with one carb instead of four. I've heard good and bad about them,

I can make the manifold no problem, my question is what to use for a carb, Lots of people say theirs work great but nothing of information on what they used.

So should I just go through the carbs I have or should I try to convert it.

Thanks

Gearhead76

Appleton WI

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I'd stick with the 4 carbs. Cleaned up, set up properly and balanced, they will probably work better.

I've heard nothing but problems with the single conversions, but I have not tried it myself.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

it's a neat idea though if you could only get it to work, But I don't know what carb to use,

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

It does sound like a neat idea, but from what I've heard the carbs are more prone to icing in wet or humid weather.Also heard that they can't seem to get them to run very well because an intake manifold has yet to be designed that will evenly supply the fuel-air mix to all four cylinders. A balanced set of four carbs, in my opinion, is far superior.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

My idea for a manifold was using four peices of equal length exhaust pipe, going right from the head making an s-curve and and having all four come up in the middle, then welding the four togeather in the middle, then cuttingout the inside of all four pipesso it's one big hole, then mounting a plate on top for the carbs, That should be even flow to all four cylinders,

At least when I'm drinking it makes sense, Haven't tried it yet, just kind of working out all the details in my head.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

I was talking with my brother (Mechanical Engineer) about hearing of the 4 barrel carb swap and he said if a old style rochester carb could be found maybe. The old hot rod ones had eaquel sized throats that could be plumbed seperatly to each cylender and if jetted for the cc size should work.

If anyone has done so I would be interested also.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

You would be better off buying GL1100 carbs and putting them on!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
You would be better off buying GL1100 carbs and putting them on!
There's nothing wrong with the GL1000 carbs as long as they're jetted right and balanced.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

unsteadyrider wrote:
I was talking with my brother (Mechanical Engineer) about hearing of the 4 barrel carb swap and he said if a old style rochester carb could be found maybe. The old hot rod ones had eaquel sized throats that could be plumbed seperatly to each cylender and if jetted for the cc size should work.

If anyone has done so I would be interested also.
I have a problem with the Rochester design on this, the accellerator pumps only fed the back two barrels. Holley 750 Universal might be a better idea. But as a veteran of individual sidedrafts on cages, I am a multi carb advocate.

Remember, the only reason the manufacturers went to a single carb was to control manufacturing costs, certainly not for fuel delivery efficacy. No automotive engineer will ever claim cylinder fuel balance with a single carb. We have the distinct advantage of starting from a multi carb base, why lose it?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Any time you deviate from the original design, you're asking for trouble.. If you search thru this site you will find quite a few threads on this subject. If I remember correctly, one of our members used a Holley 600cfm two barrell carb mounted on a machined block of billeted aluminum. He bent and mounted 4 pipes to the cylinders using neoprene sleeves with a standard aftermarket air filter & housing on top..

To me, it looked out of place, but it seemed to work. If you have the equipment (machine lathes & grinders), the time and money to manufacture a modification like this, go ahead..

I have always felt that the original equipment was the purest design for the machine and was made to be repaired and should be replaced with LKQ if damaged.

In your case, may I suggest you remove and thoughroly clean the OEM carbs. The kit parts are still available and a lot cheaper than putting an auto carb set up on the bike..

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

If you want to keep it original then of course rebuild what you have or change out with the 1100 set up both are great.
I and my friends have completed two 78's with an eldabrock four barrel,six hundred cfm. At this time both are running great and it is hard to tell the diffrence at first glance.
they both run great,how ever mileage was lost. We was getting
around forty miles a gallon and now thirty seems about the norm,perhaps on a trip it would scare thirty five. They do run great,plenty of power,set easily,and of course would not cost as much to repair. There is not much changing, same throttle cable,(have to make a small bracket to hold it to hook up) the air cleaner is covered and you still have the small tote tray over it. The whole thing look nice when done.
I had this picture on befor but here is what ours look like when done befor mounting on engine. I am sure it can be improved on but it seems to work well and has for six months now. good luck and keep the wind in your face.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

jiggs.... SWEEEEEET!!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Wow, losing 10 miles per gallon and if you ride 10,000 miles per year at $220 (?) a gallon that would be a very expensive Carb, I couldn't afford it !

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

WOW! Both conversions look really neet! BUT.

I agree that the best performance comes from one carb per cyl. The biggest problem with that is keeping them tuned. Not many can and fewer even have the equipment. The worst blow I found after buying my 82 Wing is that nobody will work on older than 1995. The only one I found that would messed up the carb ballance and/or timing. Runs ok but there's just that unsteady something.

Somthing that seems to slip everyones comments is the boots between the carbs and manafolds. I was told that they are no longer available. I have done some looking (not serious because mine are still OK) and couldn't find any.

A side thought; The 4barrel would send lots of gas on acceleration. Thus the lower mileage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.