Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Pulled the engine out. Took off back cover. Rotor for stator has scored some of the back cover. Bolt to hold on rotor came off to easy. Supposed to be 69ft. lbs. Found remains of what looks like some type of fiber washer(or similar material)between the metal washer on boltthat screws into the shaft holding the rotor on,thus giving the rotor enough slop to score the cover and probably fry the stator??? This is my theory. The stator shows continuity to ground. No problem replacing the stator, but neither Clymers repair manual or Honda Goldwing repair manual mention this second washer. The Honda manual however has blow-up of all parts of rotor to shaft and do show a second washer but no verbal description, or comments. Will check fish blow-up at Honda parts dealer this a.m., to see if washer is shown and order it. Really curious if anyone else has had similar situation. Thanks in advance for comments.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

That particular bolt should be held with Loctite or similar thread locking material.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Al is right. The genny bolt usually has to be removed with an air gun as the thread lock holds it very tightly.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

:)I showed the rotor bolt and washer to a Honda mechanic. First thing he said, "that's not a Honda/Japanese bolt". To make a short story long it appears the stator bolt has been replaced at some time. The proper Honda bolt has washer attached, and an additional washer is supposed to be applied to hold rotor, cranked down to 69ft. lbs. The original bolt (THE WRONG ONE) came off to easy, giving slop to the rotor. scoring the back cover and shorting out the stator. I am in the process of putting everything back together and have learned a lot. New stator $130.00 plus new gaskets. You never know. If you are going to do a job........DO IT RIGHT !! Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.