Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've been having an issue with a 1978 GL1000. After about 30 minutes of riding, the idle will get choppy and the bike will die. It will fire back up again after it has cooled down. I originally thought it was an ignition issue, but now I am inclined to think it is a carb problem. I recently noticed one side of of the exhaust is cold, and the plugs on that side are wet and fouled, however, there is spark. The other side gets hot and the spark plugs are in good condition. Here are the things I have checked or replaced.

Stator
Battery
Regulator
Rectifier
Condenser
Ballast
Ignition Coils
Plugs
Plug Caps

So why does my bike die once it is warmed up? Is it related to the fact that it seems only one side of the engine is firing? It seems like there is unburnt gas on the side that doesn't get hot. Is it a timing issue? Something caught in the carbs?

Thanks for your time.

·
Administrator
26,186 Posts
Timing would affect both sides. Probably a carb problem.

Reactions: bobo416

·
Administrator
26,186 Posts
Guys, the coils fire the front cylinders together & the rear cylinders together, not side to side.

Reactions: bobo416

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you check or replace the coils? If you just checked the coils with an ohm meter that is inconclusive. It will not show an internal secondary high voltage short or a coil that is "leaking" spark. If you flip flop the coils do you flip flop the issue?

To be clear your bike has 2 cylinders one side hot and 2 cold other side???
I checked the coils with an ohm meter. I did not change them out or change them around because if it was a coil issue, it wouldn't effect just one side of the engine. It would effect sparks/cylinders 1&2 or 3&4 which are each on opposite sides of the engine.

·
Premium Member
6,645 Posts
I checked the coils with an ohm meter. I did not change them out or change them around because if it was a coil issue, it wouldn't effect just one side of the engine. It would effect sparks/cylinders 1&2 or 3&4 which are each on opposite sides of the engine.
Bob,
You (and Dave) are absolutely right. My mistake.
Here is another possible avenue to investigate. Many see gas fouled plugs and assume the fuel mixture is too rich. That is not always true. If the cylinder/s are getting fuel but not quite enough to fire the mixture that unburned fuel can foul the plug giving the false conclusion the mixture is too rich even though it is in fact too lean.
If you haven't already tried, you might want to turn the slow speed mixture screws out a turn or two and start over. Turn one of the screws in until you get about the best idle quality you can. Go to the next and do the same. then the next etc. Once you have done all 4 return to the first one you did and repeat. This time remember, it is possible you might turn the screw in or out slightly to get the best idle. Do the other 3 and then to be sure do a third time in or out just to be sure.
It would be nice if just a simple adjustment would get you going. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bob,
You (and Dave) are absolutely right. My mistake.
Here is another possible avenue to investigate. Many see gas fouled plugs and assume the fuel mixture is too rich. That is not always true. If the cylinder/s are getting fuel but not quite enough to fire the mixture that unburned fuel can foul the plug giving the false conclusion the mixture is too rich even though it is in fact too lean.
If you haven't already tried, you might want to turn the slow speed mixture screws out a turn or two and start over. Turn one of the screws in until you get about the best idle quality you can. Go to the next and do the same. then the next etc. Once you have done all 4 return to the first one you did and repeat. This time remember, it is possible you might turn the screw in or out slightly to get the best idle. Do the other 3 and then to be sure do a third time in or out just to be sure.
It would be nice if just a simple adjustment would get you going. :)
Thanks for the tips. I think I may have discovered something related to this problem. On the side that is not firing well, there is a pretty bad exhaust leak. This leak may be causing poor compression on that side of the engine an therefore poor performance and unburnt gas. What do you think?

·
Registered
179 Posts
An exhaust leak will not cause poor compression.

Start with the basics.

Spark? At the right time?
gas?
Compression?

If the plugs are gas fouled, then you need to be looking at spark and compression.

David

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
An exhaust leak will not cause poor compression.

Start with the basics.

Spark? At the right time?
gas?
Compression?

If the plugs are gas fouled, then you need to be looking at spark and compression.

David
Yes gas,
Yes spark
I just took the exhaust off because the leak was very excessive where it connects to the engine block. Once I add copper gaskets and put them back on I'll do a compression test. The previous owner didn't put gaskets on this side of the bike, so I'm somewhat hoping that once it's sealed all the problems will go away. I'm not ruling out the possibility that it did some damage to the valves though.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Most 4 strokes will not have a problem, except noise, with a bad exhaust, may run rough but for all its inovations the Gl 1000 is not a highly tuned monster

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Most 4 strokes will not have a problem, except noise, with a bad exhaust, may run rough but for all its inovations the Gl 1000 is not a highly tuned monster
Sorry not sure if I described the leak very well. The side that runs rough and weak has a very large a pronounced exhaust leak. Most of the exhaust fumes are leaving through the headers rather than running through the whole exhaust. This is different from the side that runs well, absolutely no leaks or anything wrong with the exhaust.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also to add, oil and gas are leaking out of the headers thats how bad the leak is.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts