Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Exhaust leak has nothing to do with how it runs.
If gas is leaking out this may be your problem.
David
Surely if one side is essentially open and the other being run through an exhaust system it would effect how it runs?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Surely if one side is essentially open and the other being run through an exhaust system it would effect how it runs?
NOPE. It will still fire, it will still make power. Exhaust is AFTER combustion occurs. Its the used up gasses being removed from the cylinder. Basically waste. The air fuel mixture had done its job. Now that is all done, its time to get rid of it. Out the exhaust port it goes.

You could remove one header and the bike would still run on all cylinders. Maybe not perfect, but real close.

Its not causing your two cylinders to not fire at all. Look at the gas fouled plugs for your problem. If the plug is fouled, it will not fire the air fuel mixture in the cylinder. Have you put in new spark plugs?

If one side is hot and one side is cold, it must run like **** and have no power. Its a miracle it idles.

Back to the compression test. Do you have a blown head gasket? If its right between the cylinders, it would not fire on either cylinder. This is not common, but it could happen.
A compression test is the only way to know.

Is one side out of valve timing? It would have to be off by quite a bit.

Do you have a large vacuum leak?

Plugs are fouled. You say you have spark. How can you tell if the plugs are covered in gas?
We can fix this......
David

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
Oil should not be coming from the exhaust regardless of a leak or not. There shouldn't be any oil available at that point. Are you sure it is oil and not soot mixed with water?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
NOPE. It will still fire, it will still make power. Exhaust is AFTER combustion occurs. Its the used up gasses being removed from the cylinder. Basically waste. The air fuel mixture had done its job. Now that is all done, its time to get rid of it. Out the exhaust port it goes.

You could remove one header and the bike would still run on all cylinders. Maybe not perfect, but real close.

Its not causing your two cylinders to not fire at all. Look at the gas fouled plugs for your problem. If the plug is fouled, it will not fire the air fuel mixture in the cylinder. Have you put in new spark plugs?

If one side is hot and one side is cold, it must run like **** and have no power. Its a miracle it idles.

Back to the compression test. Do you have a blown head gasket? If its right between the cylinders, it would not fire on either cylinder. This is not common, but it could happen.
A compression test is the only way to know.

Is one side out of valve timing? It would have to be off by quite a bit.

Do you have a large vacuum leak?

Plugs are fouled. You say you have spark. How can you tell if the plugs are covered in gas?
We can fix this......
David
Sorry David if I wasn't clear. That side of the bike is running, the cylinders are firing, it just runs like **** and backfires a lot! By the time anything comes out the back end of the exhaust its basically cold air. So in an exaggerated sense it does feel like its running without headers.

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
Sorry David if I wasn't clear. That side of the bike is running, the cylinders are firing, it just runs like **** and backfires a lot! By the time anything comes out the back end of the exhaust its basically cold air. So in an exaggerated sense it does feel like its running without headers.
Maybe the exhaust on that side is blocked or restricted. Had a Norton that ran bad because the exhaust had a large mouse house in the exhaust.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Maybe the exhaust on that side is blocked or restricted. Had a Norton that ran bad because the exhaust had a large mouse house in the exhaust.
I took the exhaust off and there was no exhaust gasket... It was just laid in there with absolutely no seal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Your problem is the oil and gas running out NOT the exhaust leak
Perhaps its just water mixed with soot not oil. The gas leak is not excessive, just seems like an overly rich condition of that side of the engine. What do you think it could be?

·
Registered
174 Posts
The gasoline comes from the Carbs. IF its too rich, they could be flooding, could be too much fuel pressure, could be sunk or stuck float. My only thought on this is it has 4 carbs correct? It would be odd that two next to each other would have the same flooding condition.

This sort of rules out too much fuel pressure because the other two are not doing it.

HOWEVER if its not firing on those cylinders for another reason, the plugs will be wet and everything I said about carbs goes out the window.

It could be from lack of compression, lack of spark, or out of time cam.

It can't be fixed until we know exactly what is wrong.

Still need a compression test.

David

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The gasoline comes from the Carbs. IF its too rich, they could be flooding, could be too much fuel pressure, could be sunk or stuck float. My only thought on this is it has 4 carbs correct? It would be odd that two next to each other would have the same flooding condition.

This sort of rules out too much fuel pressure because the other two are not doing it.

HOWEVER if its not firing on those cylinders for another reason, the plugs will be wet and everything I said about carbs goes out the window.

It could be from lack of compression, lack of spark, or out of time cam.

It can't be fixed until we know exactly what is wrong.

Still need a compression test.

David
Not sure if you saw my previous post clarifying that they are firing on that side, just running badly. I will update with a compression test and when I get an exhaust gasket on. I'm hoping that the weirdness from that side is a result of it having essentially 0 back pressure/open header because there was no exhaust header gasket.

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
I'm hoping that the weirdness from that side is a result of it having essentially 0 back pressure/open header because there was no exhaust header gasket.
As you have been told, it's not the problem, it would still fire without the exhaust even being there. The carbs on that side are flooding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
As you have been told, it's not the problem, it would still fire without the exhaust even being there. The carbs on that side are flooding.
To take your example, if the exhaust wasn't present on one side, what would the effects be on the idle/performance?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sorry but are not listening to experienced good advice, fitting a gsket to the exhaust WILL NOT cure youre problem, you need to sort out why you are getting gas or watery soot out of the port its either flooding or blown the gasket.
Please stop going on about an exhaust gasket that wont fix it

·
Registered
500 Posts
Please post a picture of the gasket in question. Unlikely, but perhaps we are talking about two different things.

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
To take your example, if the exhaust wasn't present on one side, what would the effects be on the idle/performance?
It would be really loud.

·
Registered
422 Posts
In my post i missed out a word, sorry.

Should have read "blown the head gasket"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sorry but are not listening to experienced good advice, fitting a gsket to the exhaust WILL NOT cure youre problem, you need to sort out why you are getting gas or watery soot out of the port its either flooding or blown the gasket.
Please stop going on about an exhaust gasket that wont fix it
I hear you. My course of action is as follows, compression test, pull carbs, investigate blown gasket.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts