Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Let's take the exhaust off both sides and see how it runs, then we can be sure. ;)

Reactions: bobo416

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
After going back over all these posts several times, I am wondering if the float height setting in the carbs is off one way or another. Have you, or a P O.. had them off for cleaning?
gumbyred

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
After going back over all these posts several times, I am wondering if the float height setting in the carbs is off one way or another. Have you, or a P O.. had them off for cleaning?
gumbyred
I've just taken the carbs off the bike so I'll have a look at float levels tomorrow, thanks for the heads up

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
I've just taken the carbs off the bike so I'll have a look at float levels tomorrow, thanks for the heads up
Why would 2 carburetor side by side stop working after 30 minutes of run time? Is there more history to the bike like it has been overheated? It would not be unusual for an engine to crack both combustion chambers if it was overheated or froze for that matter. Does the exhaust steam at start up or ever?
If there was a restriction in the exhaust even with the exhaust gasket missing the exhaust still could be too restricted to run properly. The small amount of exhaust that would get through that small crack would not be near enough to lower exhaust pressures to where they need to be.
Just throwing out a couple of thoughts that might help. :unsure:

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just a thought but what is the fuel inlet route? Partial blockage to one side?

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
CDI maybe? Can that affect only 2 cylinders on this model? On a personal note, I bought a Suzuki V-twin cheap because previous owner could not figure out why it was missing on one cylinder. It was because the carbs were so far out of sync to one another, that one cylinder was doing most of the work. In other words, one cylinder was stealing all the thunder from the other cylinder.

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
CDI maybe? Can that affect only 2 cylinders on this model? On a personal note, I bought a Suzuki V-twin cheap because previous owner could not figure out why it was missing on one cylinder. It was because the carbs were so far out of sync to one another, that one cylinder was doing most of the work. In other words, one cylinder was stealing all the thunder from the other cylinder.
CDI? It's not a chain saw. And 1000s have points ignition unless they have been converted to electronic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me guess, the left side is cold. Was it idling on the side stand? You probably have a float sticking open and fuel is collecting on the low side. My guess anyway.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts