·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Too much fuel.

Reactions: bobo416

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
You might try turning off the petcock while the engine is running. As the fuel level in the carbs drop and the engine starts to go leaner do those cylinders start to fire foe a few seconds?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Too much fuel.
I actually found a big vacuum leak in the air cut off valve. It was missing an o-ring. I replaced it and it can now idle much better and it seems all cylinders are firing somewhat evenly. One of them is a bit sluggish still, however, when I open up the throttle they all kick in. I am hoping a carb sync will fix that!

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I actually found a big vacuum leak in the air cut off valve. It was missing an o-ring. I replaced it and it can now idle much better and it seems all cylinders are firing somewhat evenly. One of them is a bit sluggish still, however, when I open up the throttle they all kick in. I am hoping a carb sync will fix that!
That is exactly what sync does.

Good catch on the O-ring.:cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
The carbs were way out of sync, its running much better now, however, now the starter motor won't kick over. Any idea where the ground for the starter is located? It's definitely not the solenoid, its brand new and I'm getting 12.4 volts at the + terminal of the starter motor.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
The starter grounds to the engine which in turn is grounded to the battery by the cable connected behind the left rear upper engine mount. Connect your meter red to the starter case and black to the battery negative terminal and push the button, it should show close to 0 volts.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
The starter grounds to the engine which in turn is grounded to the battery by the cable connected behind the left rear upper engine mount. Connect your meter red to the starter case and black to the battery negative terminal and push the button, it should show close to 0 volts.
Good ground connection and 12.4 volts at the starter post. Think it's toasted?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Watch this video and if all is well woth the armature check the field.
To check the field use your same ohm meter and check between the wire and case. You should see a low ohm reading but not zero. If you see zero or infinite the field is no good.
The most common issue by far is poor connections. Make sure the screws for the field terminals are clean and tight. It also could be that a brush was hung up in the brush holder. Usually a good cleaning and a new set of brushes (if needed) will fix the issue.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Yep, I would say it's broke.

·
Registered
476 Posts
If its your starter in the pic its not just broke its not repairable.
Either a bearing is very bad or the starter clutch stuck and the rngine overspeeded it A LOT

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yeah I've just ordered a new one, there is no repairing that mess

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Yep, I would say it's broke.
Everything is idling perfect now, however, power is totally lost on acceleration. When I let out the clutch RPMs just sink and I stall out. I can get up to like 4mph and then it'll die. Not getting enough fuel?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
One other thing, the headers are glowing red... Should I readjust ignition timing?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Retarded ignition would be the very first place I would look. Super high exhaust temps when retarded. Also kills performance.
When you have the light on the bike check initial timing at slow idle. Also check to be sure the light indicates the advance is working as it should. If way retarded it could really come to life.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
61 - 80 of 89 Posts