Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was throwing out someold photosand came across this 20yr old photo taken when I was a traffic cop in the 1980's. Few changes since then and I actually had a little hair with a smaller waistline.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Littlejohn:waving:, Neat picture, you look like you could get the job done....:whip:

dean_3326 :12red::cooldj:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

This was one of the easiest bike I know to work on. One bolt either side of the air cooled engine to take off and everything easy to work at. This particular bike did 80,000 hard ridden miles catching speeders with no recalls, was used every day hail, rain or sun and very rarely let me down. Top speed 102Mph was the only handicap for a Traffic Bike but isn't it clean considering the mileage and age??

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Hey Littlejohn, I didn't know that the Irish police used BMWs. I always thought they were Triumph, then Honda users.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Up North they used the BMW R80RT bacause of it's simple German 2nd World war engine design which was veryeasy to maintain whilst capable of taking quite a lot of abuse. They were used right up to about 1992 when they moved over to Honda Pan European ST1100's because they got a good deal from Honda who were building a purpose built police spec bike complete from the factory with all the equip needed on board. The BMW was very agile and easy to ride over long periods of time whilst the Honda was quite heavy and hard work at times but the difference in performance was amazing with the Honda leaps ahead.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Littlejohn, you're a strong, brave man, it's getting so I can't bear to look at a 20 year old picture, the great downhill slide of time seems to be gaining momentum!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Littlejohn, you're a strong, brave man, it's getting so I can't bear to look at a 20 year old picture, the great downhill slide of time seems to be gaining momentum!
the picture of me I hate is wedding day June '77... powder blue tux with ruffles on the shirt... man did I look cool!
btw my wife looks even more gourgeous now!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Ifthe woman who hangs around here and I looked the same as we did on our 1969 wedding day, I wouldn't need Progressive springs fore and aft!

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

1969 !!!! i was only one

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

1969? I was enjoying a tropical vacation in southeast Asia.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:

I followed you about a year later, but I am getting ready for some beefier springs.... :action: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

midwing wrote:
1969 !!!! i was only one
In 1969 I had been married for 4 years and was raising my 2 sons.:)

My oldest son got his first motorcycle in 1972 at the ripe old age of 6.:D
:12red::cooldj:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
Brojees wrote:
let me bet... it was an all expense paid trip by your dear uncle sam... I remember those years well
I was one of the lucky ones, got the letter from my friends and neighbors and was forthwith inducted into the big organization of the green suits in 64. Weird deal I was drafted in Alaska and assigned back to Alaska after training. Got out in 66 so missed the doings in Nam which was just getting going. More power to you guys to did the hard work!

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Those were fun little bikes to play around on...:cheeky1:

:12red::cooldj:

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Shame you can't get your hands on that bike now Littlejohn. That would be a nice keepsake. My first bike was a Honda 50 at the ripe old age of 9. Had a blast on it and lots of wrecks.

Billy

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I had a DT1MX (250) that I raced in Japan for a few years. Fun bike but still not quite as much fun as my old Hodaka Wombat, the Wombat was a dirt bikes dirt bike. Just wish it had more cc's!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

bmoore106 wrote:
My first bike was a Honda 50 at the ripe old age of 9.
Hey bmoore106 :waving: My first bike was Honda 50 and i still have her. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.