Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I bought this 87 gl1200 Aspencade oct. I have been riding it quite a bit. now that the warm weather is here I want to do some long trips. I knew that the tire were not in great shape when I bought it so now i am ready to buy new ones. The question I have is the front tire is a Dunlop Elite gt k491 MT90H16

the rear is Dunlop Cruisemax 150/90-15M/C 74H these are the numbers on the tires.Does anyone know if these are the correct sizes? I would like to keep them both the same brand and model. Any suggestions would be apreciated. I've been looking on a websight JAKE WILSON there prices seem pretty good.

Thanks

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,271 Posts
imported post

Hi RedZ,

The sizes you mention would be right for a GL1200. However...that thing in the picture is a car!Your motorcycle is theone withtwo wheels. ;)

I don't like Dunlop tires. Metzlers were miserable on my 12 too.

Bridgestone is dragging their feet re-producing the Spitfire S-11R 150-15 for our rides butSpitfires arethe best choice in my opinion. Soft ride, excellent grip, perfect handling and long life.

I've got Pirelli M-66 tires on my bikenow and have no complaints. But I don't know how long they will last, or if they will get weird when they're worn. (Like the famous Dunlop and Metzler headshake) But for now, they seem fine.

I've heard good things about the Continentals too and I'll probably try them next if the 'Stones still aren't available.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,271 Posts
imported post

Oh, and BTW.

You might want to shop at home rather than the web. Many shops offer free mounting when you buy their tires. That usually negates any on-line savings and, if you have a problem you know where to go.

Oh, and Stones, Pirellis and Continentals are usually considerably less expensive than the Mich-Dun-Metz brand.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks for the replys i think I am going to go that route and shop at home. being I will have to get them mounted and balanced anyway.
thanks again.
P.S. The picture is my other toy got it from an elderly woman about ten years ago. It is a 1990 with 24,000 orig miles

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

right size.... and I am a dunlop fan.... but then again I found a maxxis WWW for the rear.... pimped out 1200!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

The Continental Tour tires were terrible for me. I threw the front one away after 3K miles. I use the rear to put wheels on while changing tires, it's crap.

I use Dunlop Elite 3 or Avon AM41/42. I used the Dunlop Elite 2 until the 3 came out.

The roads here are curvy, the surface often wet, andwith a lot of tar repair areas. Those tires give the absolute best performance milage and handling wise for me in the stock sizes for my GL1100 both here and traveling.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
imported post

i use dunlop on front and rear , never had problems with them. but you should use good tires on a 1200,i tried chen chin once to save money ...lol what a joke that was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.