Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The bike left me stranded today.
Problem is the reverse neutral sensor.....

The electric reverse system is working fine, bike backs up great.
Listen carefully to this:
When I return the black reverse lever back into the DOWN position, my neutral indicator didn't come back on, therefore I was unable to start the bike!!!! HELP!!
After about 2 dozen up and downs with this reverse lever, I was eventually able to get the green neutral light to come back on, then the starter worked!!
It has done this several times this past 4 months, only today it left me stuck out of town.

Any suggestions?
Is there anyway I can bypass the neutral switch?

Thanks.
Steve, Toronto, Canada

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Why didn't you fix it after the first time it happened?
Four months is a long time to leave a known problem.
You either have a dirty reverse switch or it is out of alignment. Either are fairly easy to remedy.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

The switch near the reverse lever probably needs adjusting. You need to remove the lever and left panel to gain access to the switch.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hey thanks, I just been reading on Google about this problem, I'm not the only one who is having this problem with the reverse lever switch.
I just wasn't sure where the switch was located.
I had to work in the dark earlier on. I was lucky to get it started again.

Happy Riding!

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Do you leave the bike parked with the reverse lever "up"
as a parking brake?
Take rubber cover off of reverse lever. Then you can see the switch mecanism. I spray WD-40 in the area, and work lever up and down several times. Works for me.

What other problems are you having with the bike?
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

No I would never park my bike with the lever up.
If I have to park on a steep hill, I would leave the bike in first gear.

I'm going to check the switch mechanism tomorrow before I ride. Thank you Tom for the advice.

Ride Safe!!! Steve (Toronto)

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

If this happens, you can still pop start the bike with a push and pop it in 2nd gear.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hehehe, sorry I'm not as strong as I used to be. I would be unable to push start this monster......

;)

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

The reverse switch may just need cleaning. Remove the reverse lever and left panel to get at it. I had a similar problem with my neutral light not coming on. Although the bike did start up even without the neutral light which might indicate it's your cable on the right side of the bike might needs some adjusting. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger Steve wrote:
Hehehe, sorry I'm not as strong as I used to be. I would be unable to push start this monster......

;)
Not as hard as it seems LOL
If you can stand flat footed while on the bike and it starts easy it won't take much.
I HAVE to roll start mine because of a broke idler gear inside the case the starter engages to turn engine. Rode it this way all year since I bought it.

I pop mine in 1st most the time on pavement, 2nd if dirt or loose stuff.
Most everywhere has some little grade running downhill if you look for it, I try to roll in that direction.
Having reverse is good because if your not sitting where you can roll easy, you can often find a place to back up hill, then roll forward downhill.

Only time I really had any troubles myself was a cold rainy day, 1500 was cold and wet, parking lot kinda slick, she did not want to start easy.
I looked around, saw a ATM machine drive that was up hill. I backed in reverse over to it and up the drive, rolled forward down hill a bit faster than on flat ground and she started up.

Sometimes got to be creative LOL
Then again, there's often people around most places that might be willing to give a little push also. I never really needed a push yet myself.

A couple times people have gave a push to help out, but I didn't really need it.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

First step is to verify that you have the cables adjusted correctly, to the reverse lever.

Next Clean the Switch... noting that there is a tiny hole on the bottom side of it... liberally spray electrical cleaner up into that hole, flicking the switch's external/metal contact plate as you do so.

If that does not work then you'll have to either replace the switch or add an electrical bypass to it. (The cleaning usually does work wonders)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

First step is to verify that you have the cables adjusted correctly, to the reverse lever.

Next Clean the Switch... noting that there is a tiny hole on the bottom side of it... liberally spray electrical cleaner up into that hole, flicking the switch's external/metal contact plate as you do so.

If that does not work then you'll have to either replace the switch or add an electrical bypass to it. (The cleaning usually does work wonders)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.