Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I saw a real nice 1800 at the local Honda dealer last week with a real nice one wheeled traler hooked up to it. Looked real nice and wondered if anyone has any experience with them.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Not personally but they have been round for a number of years so seem to have passed the test of time

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I spoke to some Harley riders in the Rockies about a year ago.Two of them [out of 5] had the one-wheel trailers, the other 3 had 2-wheel trailers. I asked them about the trailers, of course. They told me they were less stable than the 2-wheeled and also put more weight on the tongue [aka bike suspension].

One said he liked the advantage ofa singletire track instead of three.

Seemed like good, honest info.

Later that year, I built a two-wheeled trailer since I'm always pushing max weight capacity, and then some,on my wing. :realshocked:

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

i took my homebuilt one wheel trailer on a 2500 mile trip recently. Personally i like it better than my 2 wheel trailer. It doesnt hold as much but seems a lot smoother ride probably more due to being able to avoid potholes etc. .Slow speeds and take offs is a little more work with the one wheel and backing up can be tricky. JB

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

Jason m wrote:
I saw a real nice 1800 at the local Honda dealer last week with a real nice one wheeled traler hooked up to it. Looked real nice and wondered if anyone has any experience with them.
I've seen several really nice one wheel rigs, both manufactured and home built. The single track is appealing, but the added tongue weight and reduced lean factor is not. That critical angle where you might lean too far (in a parking lot or low-speed turn) will come quicker with the extra single track weight - I would think..

I ama big fan of Bushtec trailers and the Tailwind looks like a fine design too.

Here's a couple single wheel trailer sites:

http://www.singlewheel.com/

http://www.n-line.com/

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I pull a single wheel Home made trailer behind my 1800 , I also have a two wheel trailer ( cycle mate )

Both have there advantages

more load capacity with two wheel

better handling with the single wheel , I can't tell its behind me even at the point of footpegs touching down .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

Having never seen a single wheeled trailer up close, I am curious as to what stops the trailer from tipping over. Do they have a specially designed hitch to prevent tipping?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

basically it is just a u joint like what you would find on a driveshaft or pto. It lets the trailer lean with the bike and move up and down with the bike and trailers suspension. JB

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,647 Posts
imported post

Hi again Rusty.

I looked at that Uni-go line of trailers. Liked the appearance and their suspension system.

Wonder if I could stuff a wheelchair in one? :baffled:
gotta have one of those with me from now on as a backup for my Fair Lady.

She's rarin' to go, but can't wear her prosthesis all day long...

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Made to fit my standard reciever .

note

Not fully incerted for better pic

The only time i can feel any resitance is coming off side stand when trailer loaded heavey,approx 100 lbs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

The UniGos are not that big, and would not be wheel-chair-friendly.

That said - if any one is thinking about one, and needs a hitch for a GL-1200, please let me know. My wife would be happy to see a hitch gone out of the garage! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.