Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Actually one year and three weeks, but who is counting. I bought my '82 1100i, the first week of August 2008 with 50,000 miles on the clock. I was (still am)a newbie to bikes in general. Over the past year, with a lot of help from this website and its members (THANK YOU!!), I learned how to change the timing belts, overhaul the brakes, fix the speedo gear, replace the throttle cables, replace the choke cable,good oil,good tires, proper use ofSeafoam, Slick 50, tire inflation, and shock inflation.

I also learned that the old girl is not designedto run at 2,500-3,000 rpm going 45 mphhopping from one Dairy Queen to the next. She is made to run daily at 4,000-6,000 rpm all day long, and she should be allowed to play quite often at 6,000-8,000 rpm to keep everything moving free and easy.

I just got back from a 4 day(1,800 mile) trip to the Black Hills with my younger brother (whorides one of those "other" bikes). He could not keep up on the straights, the curves, or the hills, and at the end of each day he was the one running for the hot tub as soon as we checked in. The only thing he had on me was gas mileage, but who cares about that.

After one year and 16,000 miles she is smoother, quieter, more responsive, and more fuel efficient than when I brought her home. The better I get at riding and maintaining her,the more fun she gets. If she lasts as long as I have heard here and elsewhere, this is going to bea wonderful long-term relationsip. Awesome machine!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Awesome testimonial!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

Hey Steve !!! :waving:Great review there :cool: I feel the same about my 1100 :action:

I lived in Buffalo for 3 years, '80 to '84, as a teenager... kitty corner from the Cop Shop...

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Steve,

That is awesome!!! I too am a new winger '80 gl1100i... Just trying to get her road-worthy. Today, after 546 miles (since getting her) the rear caliper siezed, let it cool down and got her home. :? For the past three weeks we've fixed the tach, tires, rear brakes (thank goodnessfor fresh brake pads,) radio, fog lights, etc.

She still has a "cough" around constant RPM (seamfoam didn't change that) but for what I got and what she's "worth" to me, is Priceless!!!

With all that said, I have to echo your comment, Awesome machine!

Keep ridin'

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Great write up and if you don't mind, I would like to get on board. One year ago this month I acquired my LTD. (I traded even a 1999 V-star 1100 custom) 8500 miles later, some TLC, some let down, I love this bike. The let down was the connector failure 24 miles from the dragon. In her defense, she did not leave me on the shoulder. Connector at regulator failed and the stator was only charging on two legs. Made it back to the hotel and put it :(on the trailer that brought my friends harley. I still have not made it to the dragon. On the way to the dragon, we stopped around midnight at a hotel after about 300 miles, I wanted to keep going. My friends that did ride on other bikes ( 2 harleys and a suzuki) were begging for mercy. Two fork seals, a couple of oil changes and sea foam, a couple of tires and wow, what a great machine. I ride mine to work daily, rain or shine hot or cold. And you are so right stecker, these machines love to ride.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Yes, life is good on a Wing! I commuteon her everyday its not raining, snowing, or below 30 degrees. It's 44 miles each waybetween the office and home, with meetings and jobsite visits during the day Iusuallyrack up around 500 miles per week just for "work". Ilove my time on the bike. No cell phone, no radio....just me and God talking things over while I listen to the wind and the pur of her engine (growl when we play on the twistys). Nothing like that kind of daily therapy.

Thanks again to all the members here for your help and making this site such a great resource for all us newbies!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Well, guess I gotta add myself to the list of Happy Wingers

Bought mine over a year ago in May. She's had quite a few upgrades such as Progressive's front and back, Clarion 2 audio system added complete with cb, custom case guards and highway boards, driving lights(35 watt bulbs), all led bulbs just to name a few.

Shes' got a trailer to pull and fixing to get a Hitchhiker sidecar added in the next month.

Shes' been to the first Forum rally in Calhoun, Ga, and a spring break trip to Texas and back. She's had about 12,000 miles added to her since bought and still going strong.

These old 1100's just never know how to say quit and keep on ticking like a fine Timex watch!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

I've owned my 81 wing since day 1 and I have put 118+k on her and I've loved every inch of it.So for this season I've clocked over 8k and my goal is to get 120+k on her by end of season. If you do the math 28 yrs X 118k =4.2k a year avg but that number gets thrown out the window because I put 11k on her the very first year. Besides this year, back in I990 I put 7kish on her . But all in all Iv'e been racking up the miles and get this I haven't got wet once. The passion gets stronger as the miles rack up. Looking forward to 200K if I live that long.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

I think I met another 1100 lover this moring on my way to work. I was coming out of the third corner on my favorite section of my commute (not paying enough attention to my speed) when I looked down the road I saw one of Carver County's finest. I looked down and saw that I was going 70 on the speedo (which really means 76-77 for me), and hit the brakes. When I got up to him he flashed his lights and pointed to the side of the road.

We had a very friendly discussion about why I was stopped and where I was going in such a hurry. I did not make any excuses. I just told him the truth. When hereadmy insurance card he said "82 Goldwing, that's what I thought". After a few minutes he came back to me, and offered the following option, "I can either give you a ticket or a butt chewing...which would you prefer?" I of course chose the latter.

After my lecture about speed and safety was over he asked if he could give meone more piece ofadvice.Of course I said I would love to hear what hehad to say. He said, "you know if you keepher in 4th gear on these county roads you can give her the revs she likes without risking getting in trouble with guys like me." Then he winked, and said have a nice day as he walked back to his car.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I hate Goldwings. I hate them because once you have one it's really tough to think about not having one. It's equally as tough to think about trading for some "other" bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.