Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am wondering what is wrong. One cyclinder wants to fould plugs, I put a new one in but that does not make it work right.

I checked the spark on the bad cylinder against the engine block, I get
spark. My thoughts are bad carberation or perhaps the timing slipped.

I used to idle mid 900s now low 700s.

comments????

thanks...

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

It's not "Coil" or "coils" or 2 cylinders would be mis-firing, I would guess it's a "Carb" but wait for some "Guru's" to reply , they'll know !

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Maybe I should check the side of the engine to see if the other 2 plugs look good.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Check them all. But I think you have carb problems, if only one plug isfouling it's most likely not ignition since there's another plug fired by the same coil at the same time. There is a possibility that the plug wire or cap is bad but I'd bet on a carb problem.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I am certain only one spark plug is fouling. Anyone else ever run into this?

I remember when I bought this wing the same cyclinder had a fouled
spark plug. I got a new plug and about 10,000 miles later everything is
fine. Now i'm down to 3 cyliders again. A new plug did not fix it this
time.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

I would reccomend cleaning your carbs, Had to go through this on my 77 gl1000, My float wasn't seating good and would fill the cylinder with gas if I didn't shut the fuel off, But I would think a good carb cleaning is what you need,

If it was ignition you would be missing two cylinders like the other guys said, Cylinders 1&2 are on the same coil and 3&4are on the other coil,

Unless you have a bad spark plug wire that has a bad or corroded contact where it goes on the plug, I would pull out all the plugs and make sure they all have the same color spark, You want a nice blue spark on each plug.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Anyone got tips on pulling the carbs off of my wing?

I do most of my repairs myself, but I may just have a professional mechanic do this job.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

What year and type

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Is it a carbon or oil foul? Check the high tension wire going to the problem plug. Too much resistance will keep the plug from firing hot and allow the crud to build up. Keep us informed as to what you find.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Looks more like carbon fouled. Well I pulled the plug out before it got
fouled. It still sparks on the engine block. But a brand new plug did
not fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

edzinohio wrote:
Anyone got tips on pulling the carbs off of my wing?
What Year and model

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

Just saw it sorry,

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I am wondering if a bad air cut-off valve could cause this problem as well? I know I have one cut valve per carb.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Is it petrol fouling the plugs or carbon? Carbon buildup would be down to burning oil in that cylinder and you would ned to do a compression test to see what's up there.

If it's a petrol flooding problem (IE wet plug) then the Cutoff valve wouldn't do this. It has to be something like a bador jammed float/needleor just dirty carbs. You will need to remove the false tank, air filter box to get them out. Choke cable at the front can be fiddly.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Three cylinders firing? I told you not to use that Saab tune up kit!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

edzinohio wrote:
I am wondering what is wrong. One cyclinder wants to fould plugs, I put a new one in but that does not make it work right.

I checked the spark on the bad cylinder against the engine block, I get
spark. My thoughts are bad carberation or perhaps the timing slipped.

I used to idle mid 900s now low 700s.

comments????

thanks...
edzinohio, I have to agree with you on that air cut-off valve. If yours has failed (there is one in each carb) in the cut-off position (no pilot jet bleed air) or the pilot jet air bleed passage is plugged, that will allow that carbto run VERY rich at low throttle openings & could easily cause a problem like yours. (worth a look anyhow)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

The cylinder is definately not idling right. When I pull the plug the cylinder is full of gas and the plug is dark. I don't think it is getting soaked with oil though.

I am going to try a new spark plug cap. I tried to inpsect the one on there now and the end of it fell apart.

Will keep everyone updated if and when I make progress.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
Three cylinders firing? I told you not to use that Saab tune up kit!
Been awhile since they had a two stroke in those things.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

But there are two of us that remember!!

We took ours out to the Dragstrip. I think we were in Z Stock, but we won our class!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.