21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,246 Posts
Before and After satellite pictures

both are essentially the same

Published on May 8, 2016
Fort McMurray fire 2016 in Alberta, Canada - satellite images.
Infrared Wildfire view of the Fort McMurray NASA-NOAA's Satellite
NPP's VIIRS instrument captured a look at the fire and the smoke generated by the fire during the daytime on May 4, 2016 at UTC 4:05

·
Premium Member
60,041 Posts
What are they doing to fight this fire ?? Here in CA watching the news I haven't seen any firefighters.. I'm sure they must be there somewhere..

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What are they doing to fight this fire ?? Here in CA watching the news I haven't seen any firefighters.. I'm sure they must be there somewhere..

"They" have tight control of HWY 63 and Fort McMurray and the media have been kept out. I believe there will be a media tour tomorrow.

I heard there were 600 plus firefighters between the municipal and wild land people. The fire itself has moved very fast to the North-East and is closing in on Saskatchewan.

It is so dry up here that they are just trying to steer the fire with dozers, bombers and choppers. The fire boss indicated the embers from the fire blew across 1 mile of water and started a fire on the other side of the lake.

The weather system spawned by the fire has lightening attached to it and has started more fires.

The municipal crews are chasing hot spots in the city and have a good handle on it. Watching the news tonight there is a army of utility crews heading into the city to get power and gas back and running.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

A cooler day yesterday which helped limit the spread of the fire. Reports from the Provincial Fire Response is that this fire will last for weeks and could last months.

Five oil sand facilities and upgraders have shut down operations and only have essential staff on hand. This has reduced Albertas' oil output by 1M barrels per day.

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts
Wow. This really gonna slow down pub traffic in Alberta...... ;-P

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Evacuating from Fort Mac on a Hercules military aircraft May 6, 2016.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Administrator
22,365 Posts
What amazes me is we get none of this on the local (Arizona) news. And only once have I seen it mentioned on a national broadcast.

Are things getting better up there?

·
Just Winging It
3,325 Posts
We never know what a day will bring. The way one simple thing like fire can change so many lives so fast.

This is the first I've heard of the fire up there.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
What amazes me is we get none of this on the local (Arizona) news. And only once have I seen it mentioned on a national broadcast.

Slowly getting better in Fort Mac itself. Still putting out hot spots but the front of the fire itself has moved to the North-East and is not currently threatening any people.

There are still some 88,000 residents evacuated to the bigger centers to the South, Edmonton and Calgary. There are smaller centres also putting people up. Those in charge say it will be at least two weeks until they will know when they can start coming back.

Indications are that 85% of the buildings in the city were saved including all important municipal buildings. Over the last two days hundreds of people and trucks have flooded into Fort Mac to repair the infrastructure. power, gas, water etc.

Seeing the videos it is amazing that they evacuated almost 90,000 people without one fatality. Unfortunately there were two killed in a MVA on Hwy 63 South of the city.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,246 Posts

In addition to looking at our local newspapers online for Tulsa, OK

I use news.google.com to scan the rest of the world.
If you had been doing that, you would have seen a lot of info about the fires in Canada.

When I 1st heard of it, I just added "Ft. McMurray fire" to the preferences list and it kept me up todate.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Premium Member
60,041 Posts
That is some read.. Hard to think where you would begin to restart your life

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
We're feeling the affects here which is 1,000 kilometres away.:surprise:

Suncor shutdown their oilsands operation during the fire and ran out of refined fuels a couple of days ago.
Within hours the gas prices here jumped 5 cents a litre.
Can anyone say "Price gouging"?:lash:

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
We're feeling the affects here which is 1,000 kilometres away.:surprise:

Suncor shutdown their oilsands operation during the fire and ran out of refined fuels a couple of days ago.
Within hours the gas prices here jumped 5 cents a litre.
Can anyone say "Price gouging"?:lash:

Those fine oil companies would never do that . . . . .

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Those fine oil companies would never do that . . . . .

Yep our Gobernment did a study a few years ago and concluded that competition in the fuel industry is alive and well.
Every service station, oops, gas bar in town having the same price within minutes is just a coincidence.:ROFL:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.