Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My project bike made it one step closer to being on the road. I brought it to my favourite motorcycle shop for inspection and certification. She is now certified. Next step is insurance and then I can get a plate and go for a ride.
Phoned my insurance company and told them that I wanted to give them more business by adding a second motorcycle to my insurance policy.....
"Sorry, we do not provide insurance for motorcycles that are more than 30 years old"
So, I need to find a new insurance company!

Anyone any experience getting insurance in Ontario for a bike that is over 30 years old? Apparently, it is not a problem if you have an existing policy and your bike turns 30. They just don't want to write new policies for 30+ year old bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you only get liability on it, why should they care. They wouldn't have to pay out anyhow.
Yeah, I don't know what their problem is. After 10 years with Primmum / TD, I will be switching to someone else. Makes no sense!

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I got my insurance last spring (2012) with Mantha Ins. Brokers. They set me up with
Jevco Ins. and they had no problems covering my '82i. This year I found out Jevco
was sold and my new policy is with Aviva Ins. and still no problems insuring my '82i.
Now I upgraded to a GL1500, no problems.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for this info. Will follow up and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
You might want to check with the vintage bike guys to see what they do. IIRC there are limitations but the rates are really good.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I left TD Primmum about 5 years ago,because their rates went completely stupid.Went with Mantha and went through two different companies with them.Both were cheap the first year,but doubled after two years.Back to TD now and the 1800 is cheaper than my 1500 was.Go figure.

·
Registered
144 Posts
P/D,P/L on my 88 wing is $742. with Primmum. Jevco was sold to the company that has all my other insurance (home/vehicles). That company would not combine, using Jevco for this, the first year. Hopefully next year they will.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, or those interested..... I insured the bike as a 'vintage'. means that I am limited to 2500 Km per year, but the rate was about half of what the other guys were quoting.......... ok by me!

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
I have my'96 & '84 with Mantha, but I'm waiting for the price increase since this is my 1st year since leaving them 4 years ago for the same reason, they were the cheapest this year. Who did you end up with :?

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have my'96 & '84 with Mantha, but I'm waiting for the price increase since this is my 1st year since leaving them 4 years ago for the same reason, they were the cheapest this year. Who did you end up with :?
Dalton Timmis is the broker. Underwritten by Aviva Canada. I had to get the bike appraised which cost me $130. The insurance was $440.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I have my Goldwing insurance thru a company called "Dairyland" and I couldnt be happier. They gave me a rate $250.00 less than That Bimbo, Flo over at Progressive and over $100.00 less on everyone else that I tried. I have been with dairyland for over 5 years now and my rate has not gone up a dime.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Hey Bob how's it going?
So you went back to Mantha and they gave you the cheap rate again?That's crazy!I figured they would have you on record and that would be kind of a one time deal.Even though they did it for me with 2 different companies.Anyway,like I said I'm back with TD and the 18 is approx $800 for the full meal deal.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Hey Bob how's it going?
So you went back to Mantha and they gave you the cheap rate again?That's crazy!I figured they would have you on record and that would be kind of a one time deal.Even though they did it for me with 2 different companies.Anyway,like I said I'm back with TD and the 18 is approx $800 for the full meal deal.
Going Good Chris.
I thought that with Mantha untill a couple of years ago when they went through the roof. I called TD & they couldn't play in the same rink as Mantha (" for this year") :?

Give us a shout when you are in the area, Coffee @ Tims on #7 almost every night, I'm the only non HD biker but they'll tolerate me anyway. I tell them I ride too much to have a Harley ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.