Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What is the procedure when you find a bike with no papers and you can't establish a vehicle history in Ontario? Has anybody ever gone through the process? I believe it involves filing an affidavit with as much information as you know, and then getting it notorized; and finally taking the notorized statement to the MOT...anybody done this in Ontario?

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I do not know, but I have seen a Goldwing frame chopped withjust the VIN partand clear title listed on ebay. I guess then, one could build a custom frame,weld in the VIN part, and register under that title.

In the US, some insurance vehicles can be totaled (accident or flood) and can possibly not be able to beregistered. At the auction, theymay come with a title, butthe intent would be for dismantle for parts only. Depends on the state.

Check your DMV for yourcountry region.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Have you tried getting a Used Vehicle Information package from MOT? It should give some history.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Dean, if you can get the VIN from the frame, just take it to the MOT office and explain exactly what you need. They have all the forms there and can probably even notarize it for you on the spot. I know the one down the road from me can do notarizing. I did this a long time ago for a car and I just went to the MOT office. Once you get the ownership you will have to get the UVIP anyways to transfer it and that will give you the vehicle owners history and any leins on the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

I did pretty much exactly what you said Dean,but that was back in the 80's.Had to swear that there was no known ownership and that if it turned up you would turn it in.Nothing to it back then,but the powers that be have a real knack for making things twice as difficult as they need to be and charging you large for it.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

My brother went through this with a 1937 Rudge.
Have the seller give you a bill of sale with serial #
and in writing claim that he was the rightful owner. If possible where he got it from .
The MOT office will have an affidavit which you will fill out and explain the history of the bike and how you obtained it.

Most offices have a Notary Public whom you can give this affidavit to and swear that the information given (to the best of your knowledge)is true. He or she will sign the note and you take it to the licence people and an ownership will be given to you .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.