1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

[align=center]

I think I may be in BIG trouble this time.[/align]
Went out for a run today as the sun peeped through the clouds this morning. Up the motorway with cruise control set at 70 mph, nice speed to travel at. Came off motorway to go across country for a leisurely ride but hit a bit of traffic due to road works. I was in a run of about eight cars doing about 25 mph when all of a sudden – jolt. My front wheel went down into a pothole in the middle of the road. The suspension did not bottom but it was a heck of a jolt. Carried on and hoped I hadn’t done any damage anywhere. Visual check confirmed all seemed to be ok. Completed my run out and headed back onto the motorway.

Got up to about 70 mph, went to set cruise speed, the light was showing cruise on but the cruise would not set at all. I kept pushing set and resume accelerate with no luck at all.

I do have Haynes and Clymer workshop manuals but I really don’t know where to start looking with this one. Can someone please advise me. Also, has anyone got any ideas as to what may have happened. I feel sure that it was the jolt that has caused the problem.

Thanks in anticipation.:?

Keith Davidson.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

The jolt may have made one of the handlebar switches stick. Give them the WD40 treatment and see if that works.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Kieth,
I had problems with setting my cruise for ages until I discovered it was the rear brake/cruise switch located by the rear brake! the brake lights where on permantlty because the switch had malfunctioned and wouldnt turn off, it is just a small piece of metal that drops down onto the trop of the 2 switches and makes a connection. The cruise thought the brakes where on and therefore did not activate.
Just a thought maybe the jolt did something in there!
All the best

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

Hi Keith

I do not understand one thing from your description:
There are two cruise control lights. One for Cruise On/Off, one for Cruise engaged.

Does Cruise engaged comes up, or only the On/Off?

If the engaged don't come up, it could be a switch, like Snowflake described it.
If Cruise engaged comes up but it don't hold the speed, than I would think it's in the activation part - maybe a tube that slipped of.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

CRUISE PROBLEM SORTED

When I posted that I had lost my cruise control after going over a pothole in the middle of the road as I went through some road works, I thought it would be a long time before I would be able to post that I had found and cured the problem.

Anyway, as luck would have it, I started at the front of the bike with the intention to work my way back. First thing to check was the clutch cruise cancel switch at the handlebars. Two micro switches checked out OK. Next was the front brake/cruise control cancel switch. BINGO!! The small micro switch was locked in tight and did not work when checked out with the multimeter.

I ordered the switch which was Honda Part Number 35340-MG9-305 at £19. Fitted it on Friday, out on the road for a run Sunday. All worked fine again.

Yes,Yes,Yes, back in business, great.

I would hate to think what it would have cost me to put the bike into a garage for them to find the fault and fix it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.