Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK I think that I have enough beans in the pot to know the answer but I just need some encouragement on this.

Just bought an 85 LTD from a guy in Virginia. He was the 2nd owner (to ride it) True 2nd ower got scared of it and sold it.

I have the original owners name and phone numbers and have called him to try and get a maintenance history on the bike but to no avail.

Have ridden it about 20 miles around the area but as yet no long trips yet, (haven't got the stones yet :realshocked:and it iswinter out!!)

My plan is to do major maintenance campaign on it over the winter and hope for early spring:cool:.

Planning on the obligatory oil change and filter, plugs, timing belts and air filter. will also be servicing the air compressor and the dessicant cannister. Have put new battery in already and start it faithfully every third day. Considered flushing the cooling system also.

Is there any thing else I should consider, oh great wing sages. All suggestionswill be greatly appreciated.

Also BTW I got more spare parts and collection of other stuff with thisbike than you would believe. Photos coming soon.

This is a really great fourm!!!

Thanks

Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

The only other thing that I can think of off your list is front fork oil, check brake pads and maybe put new fluid in the brake system.......depending on if you can find out if any of that has been changed. Also, how old are the tires?? Even if the tread looks good, it tires have years on them, look at sidewalls and check for hairline cracks, also check your valve stems.

Good luck, Welcome to the forum, and have many safe miles and plenty of bugs in your teeth:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

Change all fluids do not for get rear end. Be careful tightening the big plug it is very lightly made and easily broken.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Make sure to check all brake lines for cracking and replace as needed...even if the crack is tiny...it's a blowout point under pressure.

Inspect the inside of the fuel tank for rust.

Check lower frame members and swingarm for rust.

Check to make sure that the cooling fan is coming on at temperature.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure I've welcomed you, so welcome to the World's best GoldWing forum. :)

Yep, all fluids. Definitely flush the brake and clutch hydraulics. You don't want dirty old fluids mucking up those systems, especially the brakes.

John

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

welcome to our little wing-world.... as above.... fluids, belts and then the most important thing of all....

enjoy your new wing

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

If I don't know & trust the PO, I replace the tires, the comes new brake pads since the wheels are off.

Check the date stamp on your tires [by the DOT letters]. The first two numbers state the week of the year & the last two numbers state the year of manufacture.

If you have a 3 digit number, toss 'em, IMMEDIATELY!

Rule of thumb is never run a tire over 6 years old, even if bought newoff-the-shelf.

Grease bearings, all lube & cooling fluids + new clutch/brake fluid. Butter-up all the electrical connections you can find.

Then keep spare bulbs, fuses, wire, duck tape, etc. Only ride where your cell phone works until you really trust the beast.

The tires & brakes keep you alive....the restare matters of inconvenience.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Don't forget..... if you have a lawnmower, go ahead and list it on ebay.... once you get that Wing up and movin,' you ain't ever gonna be home long enough to mow the lawn again!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::action::action::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Don't forget..... if you have a lawnmower, go ahead and list it on ebay.... once you get that Wing up and movin,' you ain't ever gonna be home long enough to mow the lawn again!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::action::action::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
Ain't that the truth!!!!!!!!!!:action:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hey, I like that line of thinking!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.