Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am looking at a travelcade seat on ebay to fit my 76 1000,anyone have any experience with these seats or opinions on them for touring?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

I've heard they are good, but if the bidding gets anywhere near $200 you might as well get a new Corbin. A new leather Corbin seat for the GL1000 costs about $220.

Corbin site.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
imported post

Saorise has a Gray on Black Travelcade Road Sofa



And I love it. I have the options to move around, remove the backrest when I wish and instead of being an Iron Butt, I am a pampered butt. 10 -12 hours of continuous riding and I feel far better than when I do the same in a cage.



My favorite position is laid back with my elbows on the passenger armrests and my feet on the head guard pegs. But I can swing quickly into an attentive position when I need to. The fabric keeps the butt sweat down and I do not suffer from the butt pimples you get from excessive sweat.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

what about a mustang seat?anyone have any experience with a mustang,I have a chance to get a mustang with drivers backrest?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,938 Posts
imported post

A really good seat is the "Ultimate" seat, don't know if they make them for "wings" ?:baffled:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
imported post

Hey Brojees, does the seat have the velour covering? Does it appear to be holding up well?

Reason for asking is that I have been conversing with TravelCade regarding a Road Sofa for my 84 Aspy. I am looking at either velour or leather. I am going to get the driver back rest for sure and also the optional passenger back cover for the trunk. All together the velour will run $485 and the leather will run $615. They are currently sending me fabric samplesof the velours and leathers so that I can pick my colors. I like the gel pads in these seats. They seem like they would be really comfortable on long rides. I can't wait to get something new. I would love to take a long ride but can't becausemy seat is so uncomfortable.

My concerns arethat the velour will break down and fall apart. Do you or does anyone else have any personal experiences to share on this?

I am also looking at possibly building my own seat. Travelinmays is sending me a spare seat that I am going to install gel inserts into and re-foam with memory foam and then have upholstered.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
805 Posts
imported post

andrewns5 wrote:
what about a mustang seat?anyone have any experience with a mustang,I have a chance to get a mustang with drivers backrest?
I had a Mustang seat in the '80's, it was one of the most comfortable seats I've sat on.

I don't believe that they are in production for Gold Wings any longer, are you buying used ??? If so you may need to get it rebuilt.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I bought a mustang with backrest built in last night from Frenchy,looks to be in excellent shape,will find out in a week or 2 how comfortable it is ,the way my present seat is I am sure I could make one out of a log and it wouldn,t be any worse

thanks for all the replies
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
imported post

I like the corbin seat alot better for my GL1200 but it is just so expensive. The saddle is not that expensive ($299.00) but it gets expensive when you start adding the backrests in. I want the driver back rest and that is $259.00. And who would want to put on a nice seat like that and not change out the trunk pad so it would match the seat. That is another $199.00. I don't understand the prices for the backrest and or the trunk pad. The pricesseem very excessive to me. I believe the saddle is fairly priced though.

All total, the complete seat is $757.00 without any taxes or shipping. Compared to the $485 for the complete Road Sofa seat, I know which route I'll be lookin' at taking. I really like the looks of that Corbin though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
Hey Brojees, does the seat have the velour covering? Does it appear to be holding up well?

Reason for asking is that I have been conversing with TravelCade regarding a Road Sofa for my 84 Aspy. I am looking at either velour or leather. I am going to get the driver back rest for sure and also the optional passenger back cover for the trunk. All together the velour will run $485 and the leather will run $615. They are currently sending me fabric samplesof the velours and leathers so that I can pick my colors. I like the gel pads in these seats. They seem like they would be really comfortable on long rides. I can't wait to get something new. I would love to take a long ride but can't becausemy seat is so uncomfortable.

My concerns arethat the velour will break down and fall apart. Do you or does anyone else have any personal experiences to share on this?

I am also looking at possibly building my own seat. Travelinmays is sending me a spare seat that I am going to install gel inserts into and re-foam with memory foam and then have upholstered.

The velour is holding up quite well. I do not know how many miles it had before me, but I have 10k plus on it now without any untoward occurrences.



As soon as I get my front forks back together, I will be over your way and you can see. Right now I am still waiting for the replacement circlips...I THOUGHT I HAD EVERYTHING!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,871 Posts
imported post

I've got a saddleman.......and I love it!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
imported post

andrewns5 wrote:
I am looking at a travelcade seat on ebay to fit my 76 1000,anyone have any experience with these seats or opinions on them for touring?

Ihave one on my 84 intertate and it is doing really well for me butt, I still findI have to move around to keep the 'monkey butt" at bay..



I bought mine from JC Whitney in the USA and it is vinyl covered..

This is probably why I am experiencing the M-butt feeling with persperation cause the vinyl don't breath like velour would....

One riderI met this summer Davehad his covered in moharr plus had the center of his seat sculpted out to prevent his tail bone from touching the seat.



This is an issue I have had this year.. but the new seat has helped greatly to reduce the sore tail bone situation.:clapper:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
As soon as I get my front forks back together, I will be over your way and you can see.
Let me know when you're coming. We can go have some pancakes!!!!:goofygrin:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
imported post

Cannot decide here. I am looking at 3 options. I am considering building my own seat but am also considering purchasing a new seat. I cannot decide between the RoadSofa and the Corbin



I really like the looks of the Corbin better than the RoadSofa, but I am going for comfort not just looks. Both seats look rather nice. (I do like the backrest on the Corbin better than the RoadSofa though. I feel that it offers the passenger far more leg room.)

Does anyone have experiences with both types of seats where they can offer an honest opinion as to whichis the overall better seat? Which one has the better feel? Which one offers the most support for long rides?
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
The fabric keeps the butt sweat down and I do not suffer from the butt pimples you get from excessive sweat.
Might be a wee bit more information than needed, ugh! Nasty mental images!:barfer:
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
My concerns arethat the velour will break down and fall apart. Do you or does anyone else have any personal experiences to share on this?
I don't know how well it holds up on a bike, but my 1990 Dodge truck with 200,000+ mileshas avelour seat and it's in excellent condition. It looks almost like it did when I bought the truck, sure wish I did.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
Cannot decide here. I am looking at 3 options. I am considering building my own seat but am also considering purchasing a new seat. I cannot decide between the RoadSofa and the Corbin



I really like the looks of the Corbin better than the RoadSofa, but I am going for comfort not just looks. Both seats look rather nice. (I do like the backrest on the Corbin better than the RoadSofa though. I feel that it offers the passenger far more leg room.)

Does anyone have experiences with both types of seats where they can offer an honest opinion as to whichis the overall better seat? Which one has the better feel? Which one offers the most support for long rides?
Look carefully at the Leg Room issue. Where Corbin has it's supposed advantage is where the riders hips would be. So I believe that advantage to be nullified. I would like to try a Corbin, but doubt it will beat my Sofa.

As to looks, I believe Travelcade should have shown the Sofa on a bike and not the horrible RED velour!! My Grey on Black is quite eye pleasing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
1984GL1200A wrote:
My concerns arethat the velour will break down and fall apart. Do you or does anyone else have any personal experiences to share on this?
I don't know how well it holds up on a bike, but my 1990 Dodge truck with 200,000+ mileshas avelour seat and it's in excellent condition. It looks almost like it did when I bought the truck, sure wish I did.
Should have thought about butt sweat more.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top