Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If you had just bought a Aspen Sentry camping trailer...that weighs 300-350 pounds...would you try and pull it with your beautiful ST1300, or would you swallow the lump and take $5k out of savings and look around to buy a used GL1500 or Valk to pull it with?

I really, really, really hate the idea of putting a hitch on my smokin' hot ST......

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Hmmm, I'm not sure I would pull it with the ST. Maybe folks do it but it seems like it may be a bit much for a nimble machine like that.

This caught my eye a couple of times. One owner, trailer hitch, might be just the ticket. I bet cash would talk too.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/2509664129.html

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

They make some really nice hide-away hitches for the ST CJ, might look into them.

But they're a bit pricey.

Then again, if I could get a good look at one some time, I could probably fab one up for next to nothing.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Gosh, Mel...

If you can afford the wing, get it... Here's my reasoning...

First of all, you use a nice silverado or f250 to pull a trailer, not a mustang cobra or camaro...

And, this is more practical...

You two get so much joy out of the riding, camping, sight seeing. Why not do it on a rig made for it? Are you not worth it? I say you are! Yeah, $5 grand is a bunch of money, but what did you save it for? They dont have bike trailers behind hearses...

There is nothing wrong with having three different tools for three different jobs.

If you can afford it, get it, and get out there!

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

The ST1300 wil pull it, but you'll not like hooking the weight to it. It's gonna change the feel of it.

Get the Gold Wing GL1500 and you are going to fall in love with the low speed tractor like torque that starts that trailer moving so easy.

The Valk will yank it good too, but you are really going to seer a higher gas bill with the Valk.

The GL1500 will be better in all weather.

I'ld bet it wouldn't be a year before you'ld be looking to trade the GL1500 and the ST1300 both for a newer GL1800.

You could take the ST1300 and$5K and go for a GL1800 now?

:?

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

For the record, the ST1300 actually produces more HP than the GL1500, and only 1HP less than the GL1800.

It'll pull the trailer just fine, you'll just have to watch it on the twisties...You'll know it's there because the bike is a bit lighter than the GL.

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

I am prety sure the 1300 would pull it, but how well will it STOP with the trailer back there? I have no idea what the ST weighs but you should look at the weight ratio of the loaded trailer to the bike.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

Seriously ? I'd go for the 1500. It was built for that sort of riding, it's got the low-end torque to get moving without burning clutches and soforth.

All in all a completely different beast......... but you know that already.

One of these is also an option for a trailer. Top speed is awfull, but if it can pull a 747, your trailer will be a breeze.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

Me I would try and find a GL1800 to pull the trailer and sell the ST1300 if you can't swing 3 bikes.:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

what would i do ? ? just rember--- if mama anit happy , no ones happy !

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me like you got your cart before your horse...

Sorry, man's got to get a cheap shot in when he can.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

You know you "really really" want that 1500. ;)

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

Get the 1500. Then you will have the best of both worlds!

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

trade in the st1300 and add the $5000 to get a gl1800. best of both worlds and Red will love the back seat.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Mel .... pose your hitch and towing question over at Moto Campers, as there are quite a few pulling with their ST1300s, as you know.

If it were me and I cou;ld swing it financially, I'd add a 1500 to the stable just for 2 up touring/towing and keep the 13 for canyon carving.;)

Cheers, Dusty

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

It is like hitching a thoroughbred to a buck board. cool but not quite right. Doable but funky,and probably fun. You'll do fine with what you chose to do. I'll shut my mouth.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Mel  ....  pose your hitch and towing question over at Moto Campers, as there are quite a few pulling with their ST1300s, as you know.

If it were me and I cou;ld swing it financially, I'd add a 1500 to the stable just for 2 up touring/towing and keep the 13 for canyon carving.;)

Cheers, Dusty
Yeah.... it has been done, but, I'm thinking like you are... I may know of a '89 1500 that's going for $2500; if it's still available, I might just bite that particular bullet.... life is short, hey?

(from St.owners.com)

Attachments

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't pull a trailer with an ST. While it may have the power to pull it...I'd be worried that it might not have the mass to control it. Being on the quick nimble "little" ST your going to find yourself wanting to carve up the curves. I know I tend to forget the trailer is even behind me sometimes, do that with an ST, come into a reduced radius turn a little to hot and you might find yourself with another scratched helmet. With a Wing you've got more weight to leverage the trailer's inertia with.

Just summin to think about Jack.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

I have to admit that if I had the ST and $5000 to throw at the project I'd be shopping for an 1800. Wouldn't be giving up a whole lot on the twisties and be gaining so much more on the comfort scale and towing capacity. I doubt you'd be happy towing the trailer with the ST. You know what it is capable of and that trailer would get to annoying you to no end. I know the power would not be an issue but the ST is almost 200 lbs lighter than the 1800 and you'd definitely feel it.

3 bikes!? Does that mean Red would have to move the Miata out of the living room and the bikes would move in? :action::action::action:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.