Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I cant believe it. Riding down the road the other evening, really enjoying myself 'cos the weather was fine with hardly any traffic on the motorway. I hardly ever have time to get out on the bike so I wanted to make the best of it. Even if only to try and justify having the bike at all. So naturally I was moving at a fair old clip for a lot of it. It was fantastic. Until I got home and found that my Battery cover had blown off ! Of course they are impossible to find when you need one, and a replacement from Honda is a frightening price. I've been thinking about getting a set of chrome ones as they are cheaper but still expensive. I'd hate to get them though and have them look like rubbish on the bike. Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance. Ps , Ihave a 1200 as well and those side covers would fall off if you looked at them the wrong way, but the 1500 ? I never thought that they would be a problem . I just cant figure out how it blew off cos it was on so securely.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

I hear you there ., its quite easy to install the cover without engaging the front tabs and shes gone .
Not sure about replacement grommets as i have never seen this requirement before but im sure a lot of other riders would be interested also.
My 88 1500 seems to be holding on to the plastic with good wishes only.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Never heard of chrome side covers, or seen them on someone elses bike. Where do you get them?

Tom Bishop
`98 S.E

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

gumbyred wrote:
Never heard of chrome side covers, or seen them on someone elses bike. Where do you get them?

Tom Bishop
`98 S.E
Cyclemax in Ohio had the best price on them last year. I haven't checked lately though but for the customer service you get from there, I'd still buy from them.
So... I've bought 2 pairs from them and they come with new rubber grommets(if grommet is the right word for the rubber on the bike).
The chrome on them is good and it's held up well so far. They snap on kind of tight, and I broke off a tab on the battery side because I kind of strong armed it taking it off to get at the battery last year, but other than that, they're good.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

When you do get your new covers, you have to secure them with somekind of safety tether. Search Rudy's keepers on this site.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

+2 on Rudy's keeper kits....

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I lost a perfectly good left sidecover on my '85 1200LTD on the way home from buying it. And it was on right. I had them both off to look behind them, and I made sure they were on nice and tight, with all 3 prongs in the grommets. I went to eBay, and while I found plenty of right sidecovers at reasonable prices, the left ones were between $200-$300. Fortunately someone from another forum sold me one for 25 dollars. I found some DupliColor car paint at Pep Boys that was an almost exact match, now I just have to get the emblems, which are still available new. I made my own tethers, for both sidecovers and both saddlebag lids.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

sometimes used ones come up here, gwrra boards or ebay. I found a set last fall on the gwrra boards for 60 bucks in fair shape. Sent them to the body shop for a quick paint job to match my bike and ordered Rudy's Tether Kit.

I wouldn't have one without the tether now. It's much cheaper to buy the tethers than it is to replace the side covers...any of them.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

bummer... go back asap to see if you can spot it...use cable ties thru one stud and to the frame....thought everyone has done this by now...and yes batt side is pricey and rare for color match

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

I have a chrome cover on my Wineberry 1500 & in all reality, it don't look too bad. I don't know how to post pic's here, but if you want I can e-mail one to you....

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
imported post

I bought the chrome covers from cyclemax after I had one stolen. They sure don't as good as my 2 tone originals, but they have held up well for me. I think I paid $108.00 for 2. Replacement from momma honda was going to be close to $400 by the time I got the gold emblems. With 4 kids in college, that was too much for me.
+1 on Rudy's keepers

Regards,

Don

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I read read some of the reviews on the chrome covers and a lot of people said that they didnt fit properly so I have decided to go to mother Honda and beg for the original. I must be nuts. Too bad I didnt secure the thing in the first place.Would have saved me a lot of money.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

churchhillmike wrote:
I read read some of the reviews on the chrome covers and a lot of people said that they didnt fit properly so I have decided to go to mother Honda and beg for the original. I must be nuts. Too bad I didnt secure the thing in the first place.Would have saved me a lot of money.
Yep. It's a sorry and expensive tale often learned after the fact. Sometimes, not even then. But I see it all the time. You are not alone by any means, if that helps any.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

I admit that I have suffered the same fate as many others. I didn't believe I needed the tethers. I thought my side cover fit nice and snug. It was even difficult to remove being careful not to damage the pins.

Now I tell everyone about Rudy's keepers. I show them off all the time. I hope Rudy sells everyone a set and can retire from the profits.

I have buddies that have lost the fender cover as well. That is why I recommend the kit. This way you can secure all the parts that are known to fly off when you're not looking. It's cheap and easy compared to hunting down a side cover, painting it, repairing it, etc.

Rudy, I want to say thanks once again.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

Take a look above in Rudy's signature. Click on the Link for Rudy's Stuff and you will see them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.