Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone using Opti 4 stroke motor oil in their 1997 GL1500 SE ??
I know I have asked about oil before but I found a place to get a good price on the on the Opti Oil. 10w 40 Motorcycle 4 stroke oil.

Thanks,
Greener

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Don't know about Opti 4stroke. I've tried Castrol 4stroke motorcycle oil and have liked the diesel oils like Delvac a little better.

Chuck

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,187 Posts
imported post

I've not heard that brand name around here.

I tried Castrol's 4 stroke motor oil in my 1500 and it seemed to me that it just did not have the ability to withstand the stresses that our 1500's tranny puts on it. I would hear the lifters clicking at around 3,000 miles which indicates to me that it is breaking down.

A fresh oil change always made the clicking go away, somewhat proving my point, to me at least. I've had far better luck with Chevron's Delo 400. That stuff provides excellent protection until it is getting too dirty to leave it in the engine.

Delo 400 is designed for diesel engines which put a lot of stress on mating surfaces. That makes it a good contender to be used in our bikes as it will withstand the stresses of the straight cut tranny gears and not break down like some oils do.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I did a bit more digging into this oil

Opti-4 Four Cycle Engine Lubricant is made in Blaine Washington by an out fit called Interlube

Am I the only guy to try this stuff ???? That scares me. The oil is so well regarded the company who manufactures it doubles the guarantee of an engine if a person uses this oil.
Now I am really wondering, I had hoped that people had given this stuff a try.
Any comment or thoughts welcome........still too cold to ride here and does not look that good for this week. Maybe next weekend????

Regards
Greener

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

Greener wrote:
still too cold to ride here and does not look that good for this week. Maybe next weekend????
You British Columbians are all spoiled:tongue:. It's looking like at least another month around here :crying:. But soon - real soon, we'll be riding again :banana::cooler:. I'm a Rotella-T user at the moment but I think I'm going to give the Delo an opportunity this spring.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

miles.from.nowhere wrote:
Greener wrote:
still too cold to ride here and does not look that good for this week. Maybe next weekend????
You British Columbians are all spoiled:tongue:. It's looking like at least another month around here :crying:. But soon - real soon, we'll be riding again :banana::cooler:. I'm a Rotella-T user at the moment but I think I'm going to give the Delo an opportunity this spring.
Very minor snow flurry here about noon followaed by sun with brisk dry wind, could not resist, hopped on the wing and rode 35km It does have its perks living on the wet coast!

Shimmy:dude::dude::dude:

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Greener wrote:
I did a bit more digging into this oil

Opti-4 Four Cycle Engine Lubricant is made in Blaine Washington by an out fit called Interlube

Am I the only guy to try this stuff ???? That scares me. The oil is so well regarded the company who manufactures it doubles the guarantee of an engine if a person uses this oil.
Now I am really wondering, I had hoped that people had given this stuff a try.
Any comment or thoughts welcome........still too cold to ride here and does not look that good for this week. Maybe next weekend????

Regards
Greener
I have used OPTI 2 cycle mix in my outboard, power saw, HD weed wacker, 125cc yamaha m/c and my old snowmobile, never had a problem and very little if any smoke.

My dad has used Opti-4 cycle oil in his 91 kawisaki 300 4x4 atv, never uses any oil and it runs as strong today as it did when new.

Shimmy:p

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

Shimmy8 wrote:
Greener wrote: I have used OPTI 2 cycle mix in my outboard, power saw, HD weed wacker,
You have a Harley weed wacker?? :shock::shock:

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

miles.from.nowhere wrote:
Shimmy8 wrote:
Greener wrote: I have used OPTI 2 cycle mix in my outboard, power saw, HD weed wacker,
You have a Harley weed wacker?? :shock::shock:
Don't I wish! HD=Heavy Duty (Huskvarna):D

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

So I guess I will be the tester for the Opti 4 Oil.
If I get stuck on the side of the highway and the clutch won't engage or disengage.....I will let everyone know that the Opti 4 is no good for the GL 1500's. It is a high end 4 stroke motorcycle oil so I am going to guess it will be a good oil for the wing..............it might not matter though as I am considering getting the Ski Doo out because the weather is so nice here .........sheeesh what a @^%#$#$ spring this has been!!! Normally we would be snow free and thinking about raking the grass about this time of year. It is going to be a while before I can see the grass, which I guess will give me more time to prepare for the grass raking job!
Well I guess I could do some more polishing.

Regards,
Greener

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.