Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all,

I have long recommended organic brake pads for older bikes due to the expense/availability of rotors. I believe the pads will wear down faster than the rotor, with minor changes in brake function, if any. Does anyone have evidence to the contrary?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I agree. I have always felt that those "life-time" brake pads achieve this by wearing out the rotors faster. Of course, like gas milage... it has a lot to do with HOW you drive. my wife and I can drive the sme vehicle and I consistently get at least 10% better milage. When I bought my '78 I had a friend with a '77. We would go for a ride together and he would end up getting 4 gallons of gas, whilst I got 3.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I think that rcmatt007is just more aerodynamic than everybody else. :D

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Davebave wrote:
Hey all,

I have long recommended organic brake pads for older bikes due to the expense/availability of rotors. I believe the pads will wear down faster than the rotor, with minor changes in brake function, if any. Does anyone have evidence to the contrary?
Davebave, I have been running carbon pads on the front of my Harley for about 2 years now & don't have undue front rotor wear. ( a few lines but no real wear).

While an organic (non metallic anyhow) pad is probably a little easier on the rotor they seem to glaze up pretty quickly if used hard.

My personaltake on what type of brake pad to use is; that should be based on type of riding, speed of travel, weight carried, how aggressive a person is with the brake application, type of rotor used.

While it's probably true, more aggressive pads will put lines & wear marks on a rotor I'm not sure most will actually wear the rotor thinner quicker.

I seem to personally see way more rotor & pad wear when I travel in bad weather & muddy roads. That grit on the pads & rotors is pretty aggressive.

In my eyes, I just don't care about brake wear as long as I have the best stopping power I can get whenever I need it. It only takes a few minutes to replace the brake pads but takes a long time to heal up (especially at my age).

Twisty

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with Twisty, I'd rather be able to stop when I need to. Brakes, pads, rotors, are cheap compared to the alterative. If you want to save money on parts, don't do it on brakes.

Allen

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I'd go along with all that, trouble is we can't get organic pads for MCs over here. Most shops look at you like you have two heads if you even ask for them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.