Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I often see vehicles advertised with "Original Miles". It is unknown to me any factory that put any miles on a bike (or any other vehicle) and said itis OEM. Where in the world is this ridiculous term coming from?

I know, I know, it's a small thing and most owners just state that it is actual miles, but it is still so stupid to read or hear it that I just had to ask. Besides I am looking at buying another bike with 37 "Original Miles" on it, being an 1987 (not Honda) it's pretty cool and a huge find for me...

Enlighten me !

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I believe it's a way for a seller to just reinstate the fact that the miles are genuine, and not as a result of a changed odometer.

Otherwise, there's nothing special about Original miles. It's not like there are imitation miles, or unimaginitive miles.. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

maybe it's like custom deluxe what ever that means
Wilf

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

I bought my 88 GW on Father's Day this year with what was listed on the odometer as 20,050 miles. Some folks have questioned that mileage for the year. My girl looks the part for that mileage but I have wondered if someway the odometer could have been altered or messed with somehow. Does anyone know of any one altering the odometer or stories there of?:baffled:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,659 Posts
imported post

The odometers can be altered if you know how to do it.

When I was a kid, it was a well known practice of the "used car" industry. Now there are "laws" against tampering. Of course there are laws against entering this country without proper documentation, or selling narcotics, or, well you get the picture.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I think it goes back to the odometers that would only register 99,999 and then start back at zero. The "original" means that the odometer has not tripped and started over.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I've found that this can also indicate an "Original motor", you might be getting a vehicle with 20,000 showing on the odo & 100,000 on the replaced motor :waving:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

A guy told me, "..it's gonna be cold as hell outside."

I knew what he meant > as long as I didn't think about it. :smiler:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I have a Yamaha outboard on my boat. I know the dealer can plug into it and tall me how many hours are on it. Do any of the wings have this capability in their computer system?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:

I need that on a shirt. :ROFL:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
It's not like there are imitation miles, or unimaginitive miles..
I dunno... I have seen my fair share of texting cagers doing an pretty poor "imitation" of driving... as they drift all over the road for many, many "unimaginative" miles.

:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I don't have the time to really respond to this thread at the moment, but I will say I did work part time in a used car doing the clean up and light mechanical work on the cars we sold, and yes I did run the miles back on a bunch of cars back then...I'm not really proud of that fact, but I needed that job as my wife was expecting and I was working two jobs....I did "buy" three cars from them, more later but lets just say I got the better end of those deals..."Original miles"???? Its just a selling point good, bad, or evil its just exactly that....

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
CaptainMidnight85 wrote:

I need that on a shirt. :ROFL:
What color, what size? How about a Gildan T, no pocket.

Errr.... did I mention I should have my new hot press and some T's tomorrow or Monday?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

"Original miles"

Yep, as someone said that started back when cars only read up to 99,999.9 miles then started over at 0 again.

So a 61 Chevy, Ford, Olds, etc... may show 35,000 miles in the 70's but really it was 135,000 miles! And then there was those that took cars with 85,000 and turned them back to 35,000, or those that installed a new speedo at 80,000 so now it only read 25,000 since it was installed.

I had to use my 80 1100 speedo on my 82 1100, so I show now about 40K miles though the 82 had 68K when I changed it and I rode 10K or so on the broke one and 80 speedo combined.

Now when I put the 80 speedo back on the 80, it will show 40K though the 80 only has about 35K

Neither bike will really show "Original miles" now, one will have more miles, one will actually have less miles!

I could just lie and say "Original miles" and no-one would ever know but me. Course I won't!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.