Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just a quick Tip and a Question.

I needed some WD40 the other day and found the 2 cans on the shelf were flat, (No Pressure ) Must be from the below freezing temps over the winter.

So I squeezed the can and got some pressure from the dented can. But I needed more.

SO I pulled the nozzle and used my Non OSHA Approved air nozzle and gave the can a shot of 100Lbs. The dent popped out and I was able to use the can as normal.

Question is. How much pressure do you think it in the can when new?

When I repressurized the can I put it in a bucket and wore my heavy welding gloves, so I was a little safer anyway.

I have already Blown up one garage and destroyed the 8 inch concrete slab when I built a 200 PSI air compressor. But that's a whole nother story.

Just curious, Enquiring Minds need to know.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Some spray can products use propane as the propellant. I think the pressurized liquid propane is around 100 PSI or more in warm weather. I would limit the pressure refills to 70-80 PSI for safety. You can always do it again.

John

·
Premium Member
5,406 Posts
imported post

Hi Mohawk,

I used to fill paint spray cans when they used Freon as propellant and I recall seeing a chart that showed the Freon pressure to be about the equal of the temperature in degrees F. So at 70 degrees F the pressure would be about 70 PSI. Maybe there is a link somewhere to the propellant in WD-40. I think it is propane or butane.

Also whenI belonged to a model airplane club in high school we had a Preval sprayer that used Freon tanks. Rather than buy expensive replacements we soldered a fitting on an empty can and hooked it up to a compressor at about 60 PSIIIRC. No one died.

BIG TIME EDIT

IF THERE IS RESIDUAL PROPANE OR BUTANE IN THE CAN YOU HAVE ADDED AIR / OXYGEN AND NOW HAVE AN EXPLOSIVE MIX INSIDE THE CAN. Freon was good as it was inert.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Buying a new can is no problem,

But when it's the middle of the night and your in the middle of a project, Buying a new can or even waiting is not an option.

Making it work is what you need to do.

Worked great for me.

I was just curious about the amount of pressure in a new can.

·
Premium Member
5,406 Posts
imported post

What I do is make sure the can is depressurized, punch a hole in the rim and drain what I need.

Cheers,

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,798 Posts
imported post

... Me too, I just put the stuff in a syringe and squirt it where I need it.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

no, no dont buy wd40 in spray cans .. buy it by the gallon and the best part it comes with a spray bottle and last ages.

here in the uk a can costs about£2 for a gallon i pay £17.

Daz

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

That's the best idea yet.

I don't believe I have seen it sold around here as a liquid. I will now have to look for it.

I too have a couple of cans on the shelf with holes punched in them, But I needed a spray to reach way inside where I coudn't reach.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

mohawk

Try your local motor factors they should be able to get it if it not stocked.

Daz

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

IIRC, the bulk WD-40 doesn't have the added perfume in it.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

WD40 is not a great lubricant. Using it as such will having you come back again and again. It's ok as a dispersant but there again don't spray it into a non working component such as a distributer cap otherwise you will get no sparks at all. I find people use it for everything, ain't advertising wonderful?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
imported post

I've been pressurizing cans like that for years. Many cans go "flat" sitting for years.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Mohawk wrote
I have already Blown up one garage and destroyed the 8 inch concrete slab when I built a 200 PSI air compressor. But that's a whole nother story.
And I felt bad when I bent a valve after changing my timing belts! :dude:

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,828 Posts
imported post

Wingle wrote:
WD40 is not a great lubricant. Using it as such will having you come back again and again. It's ok as a dispersant but there again don't spray it into a non working component such as a distributer cap otherwise you will get no sparks at all. I find people use it for everything, ain't advertising wonderful?
I don't use WD40 for anything. Don't own a can. I repair clocks and have made a lot of money because people spray their clocks with it. It eventually turns to goop and collects dust and dirt. There are other products better than WD40.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.