Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am starting this thread because the other ones are getting sprinkled with ideas on what to do before/after NASSIR 2. Let's put the suggestions for places to go and things to see in that part of the country here.

I and apparently many others are contemplating making it out there and making a 2 week trip of it. The ideas posted by those who are familiar with that part of the country will be very helpful to all who attend I am sure.

Edited to shrink picture to 800 pixel width.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

All the information about Nassir will be collected from the various threads nearer the time and put into the one info thread ,just like we did for Calhoun .,Ciaran

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

batess6 wrote:
Look at Red River, New Mexico and the Enchanted Circle.
I don't see anything on a map to draw attention to Red River. What is there that would be of interest?

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

The Telluride Blues and Brews festival is scheduled for Sept. 18 - 20, 2009.

If you are into great music, you should check it out. They have some of the best blues musicians show up there.

NOTE: If you plan on attending, buy your tickets early!!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

DougW wrote:
batess6 wrote:
Look at Red River, New Mexico and the Enchanted Circle.
I don't see anything on a map to draw attention to Red River. What is there that would be of interest?
Hi DougW- well, nothing much, just beautiful scenery and fabulous riding! The "Enchanted Circle" is the loop that includes Taos, Eagle Nest, Red River, and Questa.

Coming from the east, you'd pass Cimarron Canyon State Park, and then join the loop at Eagle Nest. At that point (weather permitting) you are looking straight at Wheeler Peak (13,161'). A right turn takes you around the north side of the loop, over Bobcat Pass (9820') and down through Red River to Questa.

You're right; if you don't want to take a break at Red River, just pull in your clutch, and you'll coast right through town at 50mph, since it's on a serious downgrade.

If you like, it's a very short diversion south to check out Taos, which can be very fun. I recommend continuing west on Rte 64 which crosses the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, to Tres Piedras, then continuing west to Tierra Amarilla- that leg is one of the nicest rides I've ever done in the Southwest, and there is virtually no traffic.

Just north of that is Chama, the site of the "other" narrow gauge railway....not as famous as Durango-Silverton (reserve well in advance, for Durango, and plan on a full day), but it's far less crowded and stessful, quicker and cheaper, and still scenic and fun....

Just some musings....I think everyone should do what they like...heck, we'll all be on vacation, unless some lucky bastage is getting PAID to come??! :dude:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I plan on doing the route Motorcycle Petehas described. Including the "Enchanted Circle".

That is of course if I am able to make the trip, it's just too soon to tell for sure.

I will also be going through Dodge City. Don't know if I'll have much time if any to check it out like it should be. I know I'll miss out on many things to do and see. But thats always a good excuse to go again:)

I'm really looking forward to making this trip. I've been picking up a few odd jobs just to save for it. Income tax refund went to paying off the bike, and thats a great feeling all it's own:banana:.

Like I was told in my younger years,,,,,,,,,, If ya wanna dance,, ya gotta pay the fiddler.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,716 Posts
imported post

That train ride out of Chama is still very memorable to me, and it has been a while.... 1991 I think...

The steak dinner at the top of the mountain was very tasty.

I feel that the most fun trip was Durango to Silverton, but that involved a full day, and a lot of walking and gawking inside all the store fronts ;). This one is more expensive, but even after 30 years, I still remember most of it.

Would enjoy either one of them again.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

For those interested who haven't already discovered them, the pertinent sites are:

Cumbres and Toltec Railroad, from Chama New Mexico to Antonito Colorado:

http://www.cumbrestoltec.com

Available as an "out and back" to the summit, or R/T (return) train ride, or train one way and bus the other. Partial to full day needed.

Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge (most famous one in America);

http://www.durangotrain.com

Definitely an "all-day" trip- looks like 8:15 am to 5:30 pm is typical, with a 2+ hour "layover" in Silverton?

I'll shut up now, and let everyone read about them, at their leisure....:cooldevil: Good times....I'm just sayin'!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hey all you hoodlums.:) So what would be the most fun. I had considered a chopper ride into the Grand Canyon. Is it really all that spectacular? Or would one of the train rides out of Durango be just as much fun. I have never seen the Grand Canyon other than on video, but I am a kayak'er and have been down the Kings River in Arkansas. So is a big hole in the ground worth seeing, or is the scenery on the way just as spectacular? I would not have time to do a three day river trip in any event, well I could but hard to store a boat in my trunk. :action: Kit

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

norton wrote:
Nothing beats the Grand Canyon.... PERIOD!!!!
Kool, will get busy next month and find me a chopper to ride into the canyon. Bought me a map of the place today so I can find it. The Grand Canyon it is.

Thanks.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

The Grand Canyon Airport is located in Tusayan. That is right outside of the South entrance to the park.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

Kit- I'd like to repeat a few things I told Winger77 in PM's-

If you travel to the Grand Canyon from SW Colorado by road, in a car or on a bike, I recommend avoiding crossing the Navajo Reservation (most of NE Arizona) in the dark. It's not outrageously dangerous, but it's a surface highway, and they don't have much/any fencing, so....all the critters are in the road! I watched a big pickup pulling a 5th wheel trailer go fully cross-wise (blocking the whole road), to avoid hitting a horse. They pulled over, shortly after (change of underwear, no doubt!)

From the junction with Route 89, it's about equal distance to the north or south rims. You'd want to pick one or the other; it's too time consuming to do both.

The South Rim has far more pull outs, and facilities. I recommend bringing binoculars; you can pick out the little ants, which are people hiking. If the ant looks like Don Quixote, then it's a tourist on a mule! Descending into the canyon is hard work...hot, and hard on feet (walking) or arse (mule riding) but I've been told it's very rewarding by the many folks who've done that. Downside: it takes a substantial part of a day.

If it's beastly hot, you might consider the North Rim. The Vermillion Cliffs (viewed en-route) are spectacular, there are far fewer tourists, and it is quite a bit cooler, being about 2000' higher. The downside is fewer viewpoints, and fewer facilities. Another upside though, is that returning to Colorado, you might as well head north through southern Utah (Zion, Cedar Breaks, Bryce Canyon, & Capitol Reef are all right there).

If you're a kayaker, Kit, you're gonna kick yourself, that you didn't figure out a way to mount a kayak on your airplane/car/motorcycle.....:cheeky1::waving:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Ok, Kit...sometimes I'm "a wee bit slow, on the uptake" :dude:

You meant a helicopter ride, right? :doh: And here I was, thinking "Where on earth is he going to rent a Chopper?" (picture Peter Fonda, and you know where I'm coming from....) :cheeky1:

Don't worry....I'm only dangerous to myself! :gunhead: All my good/bad advice still otherwise applies! Yes, Tusayan Airport is just out the SW exit of the park...:cooldevil:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Hey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, good thing I checked in here.I haven't received notice of any post on this thread. Must have something to do with the update. So this post is just to see if I get any email notice.

Kit,,,,,,,,,, the chopper idea sounds like a lot of fun. But I don't know if I'll have the time to play around like that. I'll be doing the route that MotorcyclePete suggested.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.