Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
58,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Suburban's A/C blew the high pressure seal in the rear of the compressor last summer :frown2:

Sent it to the shop where my close friend says they do great work, and it is done right.

Well, the first quote was enough to choke a horse, but it was within $50 of what my eyeballs had already computed for a repair shop to do the job.

Then when the job was finished, the actual finished price was $200 bux higher... :crying2:

When they were "done" and pressuring it up, they found freon seeping from the line under the truck's frame that goes to the rear a/c unit. :surprise:
FWIW, my '74 Chevy Suburban also had a bad line under the truck to the rear a/c... Must be " a thing " for trucks with rear a/c....

So, new compressor, new dryer, new lines, all new O-rings every where....
Kevin the owner said that he does not like call backs on his work...
if he says it is done right, he means it is done right...

said if I have any problems at all, bring it back and it will be "done right" no charge.

Upside, I will be able to make all of my summer rallys anywhere, no matter how far, or how hot the weather is....

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
I feel your pain John... We had to replace the compressor on our Grand Marquis last year - major $$$ for the job but what price comfort eh?? :cheesygrin:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had to replace the compresser on my 90 k1500, I bought a rebuilt one from the local chain auto parts store, The first one had a vibration in it , second one also,Third one also, fourth one also. I am getting good at changing them. I am going to go to the junk yard and hopefully find one that will work. End result, A lot of labor=High cost..Charlie

·
Administrator
58,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to replace the compresser on my 90 k1500, I bought a rebuilt one from the local chain auto parts store, The first one had a vibration in it , second one also,Third one also, fourth one also. I am getting good at changing them. I am going to go to the junk yard and hopefully find one that will work. End result, A lot of labor=High cost..Charlie
I don't have the tools to do that anymore, I used to have a shop I could work in, but at 75 now, and hands that ache from tendinitis, I can't pick up a wrench w/o it hurting me anymore.

Yes, it cost me a whole month's Social Security check, but at least I know the job is done right.

And not owning a freon recovery system, makes it impossible to pressure up, find a leak, suck it back out.... I have to let it blow off to the air, then buy more of that expensive stuff.

·
Administrator
25,359 Posts
I put one on my S10 last year from Oriellys, works fine but harder to turn than it should be. I asked about getting another one under warranty and would they also give me the freon & oil to do it with and they won't. I bought one for my 94 K1500 must have been 15 years ago and last year it started leaking. Thought about taking it back to them and saying it is from the S10, which is still under warranty. I heard form a good source if you want a good compressor get a 4 seasons.

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
Charlie , you might check out that Amozoning place on the web. I just got a "kit" for my 99 tahoe with dual air. new compressor split hose manifold from the compressor to truck , drier, orfice, and oil . 250 i think it was. Not sure if your 90 uses the same compressor .

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Now I know why I buy a new car every five years.... bad enough changing from snow tires to summer tires.

·
Administrator
25,359 Posts
Now I know why I buy a new car every five years.... bad enough changing from snow tires to summer tires.
The way I see it is repairs are way cheaper than car payments, higher insurance and taxes.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
I don't have the tools to do that anymore, I used to have a shop I could work in, but at 75 now, and hands that ache from tendinitis, I can't pick up a wrench w/o it hurting me anymore.

Yes, it cost me a whole month's Social Security check, but at least I know the job is done right.

And not owning a freon recovery system, makes it impossible to pressure up, find a leak, suck it back out.... I have to let it blow off to the air, then buy more of that expensive stuff.
Wish I knew you needed the equipment. I have everything you would need. I would have mailed it out to you.

·
Administrator
58,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wish I knew you needed the equipment. I have everything you would need. I would have mailed it out to you.
Appreciate that, but no shop to work inside of....
and those guys do it all the time, they could do it blind folded.

the shop owner wrote on the invoice, "compressor shelled out sending particles down the lines.

No car payments, no big insurance bills, just Liability. No big hits on the license plate each year, it is at minimum now.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
The way I see it is repairs are way cheaper than car payments, higher insurance and taxes.
When I retired I budgeted $350 per mth for car payments, I dont buy the top end type car, usually the base model, accounting for increases in cost of living I manage to keep it within a few dollars.
I gave up scrabbling on the floor fixing shi$
Just the way I feel.

·
Paid Site Sponsor
680 Posts
Funny this subject came up as I had compressor quit last Sunday on my M/H while returning from FL GWRRA rally and ordered new one from Spartan, $1100, and $950 for dryer, expansion valve, labor and other parts. Pick it up in AM in Eustis, Fl..

·
Administrator
58,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Funny this subject came up as I had compressor quit last Sunday on my M/H while returning from FL GWRRA rally and ordered new one from Spartan, $1100, and $950 for dryer, expansion valve, labor and other parts. Pick it up in AM in Eustis, Fl..
$1100 just for the compressor?

Ouch!
they are only $350 on average, and that is what my repair shop charged me at his sales price.... I could have got it cheaper elsewhere if I wanted to do the work myself.

The Suburban is a lot easier to work on than a motorhome, but my bill came out at $1250 total parts & labor

yeah, all "those other parts" can add up a bunch, as they did on mine, half of the bill was "other parts"....

he was fair to me on the labor I thought....
I mentally checked a few parts prices weeks before I called him.... what I decided was that "if" the rear lines weren't bad, that the job would cost $950 total at a shop....

Well, he looked at the truck, called me and told me the job would be $935 total.....

then when he called to say it was repaired, he said "uh, the rear lines are leaking like a sponge, so we had to replace them.... the labor to remove the front grill, replace the drier, and both lines added another $300 bux

all in all, I still feel like he was good to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts