Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

To the point.....I discovered why my rear tire was leaking air. It's due to a "crack/split" in the center of the tire tread!!
The tire is a Dunlop K177 OEM that has what looks to like several thousands of miles left on it.
So I called the local Honda dealer and spoke with a parts guy who told me that he would have to order the tire(K177) and my cost would be 276 bucks. He also stated that was below HIS cost! I won't repeat what I responded with!!!
They also want 30 bucks to mount the tire if I bring the wheel in or 60 bucks if I bring the bike in.

I called my local Yamaha dealer and they had a tire(Dunlop) that would fit my bike and they just wanted 253 bucks for the tire. They were cheaper on mounting....26 bucks!

Anyway, I just ordered a Dunlop Elite III for the bike from Dennis Kirk and they were almost half in price from what the dealers wanted.

So I'm going to ask this. The original owner had a new tire installed on the front a couple of months before I got the bike along with new front bearings. The front is a Dunlop Elite II.
How will this effect handling being an Elite II on front and and Elite III on the rear? Any at all or am I going to be fighting the bike on tar strips, gouges in the roadway...etc.
Can't be any worse that what it was with the K177 on the rear can it?

Richard

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I personally feel the E2 is the most unsafe tire on the road.
It's lousy on ruts and snakes, it's lousy on water and it is very insecure feeling on hard lean angles.

Best thing I ever did was get them off of my 1500.

I guess that answers at least a part of your question.

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

I spoke to Dunlop (UK) about this very concern, mixing E11 And E111 in the same way, they said no problem, I have to say That I did not notice any adverse problems, but when I did replace the front E11 with the E111, it was like driving a different bike a lot more sure footed,hope this helps.

Nick

Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yes this helps!
Thanks Rudy for the headsup on the E II. That explains why my Wing feels like it's hinged in the middle while running over ruts and tar strips!

That will be my next purchase!

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Myself, I've never mixed brands, models, or types of tires on a motorcycle.

When I got my bike last Winter, it had a new EII on the front, but the rear needed replacing [patched].

After some research, I decided on EIIIs & got a set & just tossed the 'almost-new' EII out.

On the bike, I just won't economize on tiresor brakes. Also, I chech the 4 digit code, by the DOT stampon the tire, for mfgr date [first 2 #s are week & second 2 #s are year...i.e. 2207 = 22nd week of 2007]. If you see a 3 digit number stamped in...it's from the 90s.

Those "crack-splits" in tires are usually fromtire rot.

Many say tires have a 6 year shelf life, but I won't buy a tire more than a year old. [in the UK, it is illegal to sell a tire over 6 years old, so no problem there].

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I am the polar opposite of Rudy on this one.

I hate the E3 with a passion and feel that they are not safe (I had a bad experience with them and I think the rubber is too hard)

I would much rather have an E2 over the E3.

That being said, and I have driven on both, the tread patter on the E3 is better and they resist tar strips and grooves much better. The E2 does feel more squirrely on these road defects, but the traction is great and I have never had a problem with them.

I have also ridden many times with mixed tires and never had a problem.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Wolfman wrote:
I am the polar opposite of Rudy on this one.

I hate the E3 with a passion and feel that they are not safe (I had a bad experience with them and I think the rubber is too hard)

I would much rather have an E2 over the E3.

That being said, and I have driven on both, the tread patter on the E3 is better and they resist tar strips and grooves much better. The E2 does feel more squirrely on these road defects, but the traction is great and I have never had a problem with them.

I have also ridden many times with mixed tires and never had a problem.
I never said I favored the E3's. I just said that I feel that the E2's are the most unsafe tire on the road. I'm a Michelin Pilot GT fan all the way for the 1500's. No Dumbflops at all for me, thank you.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

went to my local honda dealer and asked for a price on a metzler radial for my 1800.He got the book out and told me $271plus installation.I said forget it, Heard about a fellow who had a shop about 20 miles from me so I went to see him. asked about a metzler tire for my 1800,said it will cost me $189.00 plus $30.00 install.He had it in stock and put one on for me that day

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

I would agree 100% with Rudy (he really is a smart dude)...the EII's suck...I had EII's on the front and rear, but recently replaced the rear with a Kenda Kruz, and the difference astounded me...I still have the EII on the front, but I hope to have it off soon.....as soon as I over come splitting the sidewall on the Kenda that I installed (myself) 2 weeks ago...The one thing that I really did notice was that the "tar snakes" and "yellow lines" were really slippery with the EII's...With the Kenda on the rear, the "squirley"(sp) went away...But, what do I know...

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

E-III delivered to my door, rear wheel, 130.15. Install off the bike with balance at dealer, 22.50.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I will have the E-III here on Monday and will take the wheel and tire to a local shop that works on motorcycles and atvs. The owner is a certified mechanic that worked for the local Honda dealer but left because of manangement problems.
He still gets loads of work from the Honda dealer and if you take anything in there to be worked on, you usually have a month wait. He gets more work than the dealer now!
His price is the same....30 if I bring wheel in and 60 if I bring the bike in. I will remove the wheel as I need to learn more about this bike!

On another note, when I visited that shop yesterday, I talked to a guy on a 82 1100 Interstate. He had removed the front fairing for some reason but the bike looked good!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.