Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My husband and I are planning to take our first trip this year. We are heading to the New England states to see the changing of the leaves. We do not have a trailer and am wondering exactly what we need to take since there will be NO room. We live in College Station, Texas and do not really know about the cold. I guess we just have to layer the clothes. Need suggestions.! :baffled:

The second question-I have been put in charge of the route we are to take. Do any of you worldly travelers have any suggestions on the best route to take and what kind of things there are to see and do on the way up and back?

I am sure there will be many more questions later but for now, I need all the help I can get. Come on now, I'm counting on you!!:waving::cooldj:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

[align=center]:waving::waving:WELCOME :waving::waving:[/align]
[align=center]:clapper: :clapper: To the Finest GoldWing Forum on the internet booboo. :clapper: :clapper:[/align]
[align=center]I don't have any travel experiences on the Wings as of yet so I can't help you much. Just wanted to give you a hearty WELCOME.[/align]
[align=center]Someone will be along shortly to give you their views and opinions.[/align]
[align=center]Once again, WELCOME :waving:[/align]

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Get some clothes and Gloves that have "Thinsulate" in them, it's light weight and warm doesn't take up much space!

Take Rain Gear and Water proof boots!

If you have a trunk strap a "Roll-Bag" to the top of it for extra space, (weather proof)!

What size bike are you taking?

The most beautiful route from Texas but a little longer would be to go through the "Smokey and Appalachian" mountains up the East coast!

The other way would be to cut through the Midwest which is nice but not near as "Scenic" and hey , it's all about the "Memories and Pictures", right! Depends on your time schedule!

"Hey BooBoo, the Ranger's not gonna like this!"

"Yogi Bear"

Couldn't resist that one!:baffled:

Welcome to the "WGGWWS" !!!!!!:clapper:

Ride Safe , Stay in Touch, Pray before you leave!

Pete "the Greek" (WingDawg)

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

It would be very scenic if you could get on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Ashville,N.C. and ride all of it and then get on Skyline Drive and rideit to the end near Fort Royal, Virginia. All is very scenic but has a 45 mph speed limit which helps you see all the sites there is to see!! :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Plus you get to meet "Streetrod48" going that way!

Hope you like "Possum", LOL!!!!:clapper::baffled::goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Plus you get to meet "Streetrod48" going that way!

Hope you like "Possum", LOL!!!!:clapper::baffled::goofygrin:
WELL, It depends on what is the "Roadkill" of the day!!!!!! :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin:

We started one of our Canadian trips that way--All of Blue Ridge Parkway and all of Skyline Drive!! Great trip!! :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

If you come through Kansas, I am sure that Brojees will treat you to

[align=center]Panckes and Rabbit[/align]
[align=center]:goofygrin::grinner:[/align]

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

We are going on our new 2006 Goldwing. Your advise on the scenic route is probably the one we will go with. He loves the mountains. We both have the Frog Toggs rain suits but no water proof boots. I'm sure there will alot of things that we will have to purchase. The idea about the roll bag on the top of the box will be a good idea. That way when the urdge to take my afternoon nap comes, all I have to do is put my head back and SNORE LIKE A BABY:banana:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Stredrod48 said:
It would be very scenic if you could get on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Ashville,N.C. and ride all of it and then get on Skyline Drive and rideit to the end near Fort Royal, Virginia. All is very scenic but has a 45 mph speed limit which helps you see all the sites there is to see!!
To get started, the Natchez Trace Parkway in Louisiana/Mississippi. Then the Smokies and the Blue Ridge Parkway is the way to go!!!!!! Stop in and see the Devil's Court House, an amazing view for a small hike. It is slow, through the Parkway but if you want to see the changing of the leaves, this is the way to go. Not sure how farnorth you're going but if you are hitting the border states Hit Over to 5 Island warf in Maine and have a big fat ol fresh lobster. The White Mountains of New Hampshire/Vermont. Headinghome, head west, catch Niagra Falls, follow the great lakes into around Chicago and fall south on home. On the fall down trip hit Branson Missouri and catch a show, and hit the Ozark Mountains. Stay way from the boiled peanuts...yuck!!!! Approximately 5,000 miles to do this trip.

Not sure if you're camping, hoteling orwhat you are even riding. Rule of thumb is other than what you are wearing on your back -3 sets of socks & underwear, 1pr.jeans, 3-t-shirts, 1 sweat shirt, rain gear, 1pr.warm gauntlets (3m thinsulate) Motorcycle jacket.

When it get's cold your raingear is used for warmth, it's not just meant for rain. With a t-shirt, sweatshirt, rain jacket, and your Motorcycle jacket should be warm enough, and pull your rain pants over your jeans. Hell I'd go snowmobiling in that outfit.

I am able to pack me and what's her names clothes in one saddlebag, Heavy wear (rain suits, sweater, etc) in the other saddle bag. A dufflebag on top of the trunk rack that holds the bedroll and tent (along with my telescoping fishing rod) Trunk is pretty much empty and if we want the extra's we will strap another gym bag on top of a saddlebag that may hold items such as runningshoes, and can become a dirty laundry bag. Pack everything in plastic garbage bags to keep the kits all dry. The gym bag also doubles as an arm rest and map holder for the passenger.

For the long riding days, keep hydrated (keep water/powerade always available on the bike) have munchies in your pocket (Jerky, sunflowerseeds) take an aspirin every 3-4 hours or so. The biggest tip I can give is

DON'T RIDE AT NIGHT!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you're a "trooper", so you have that part licked!!!:clapper:

Invest in a Magnetic Tank Bag with a clear map pouch on top !

Don't forget the "Mojo" Bag, to bring back little things to remind you of the trip, "Rocks", "leaves" and a "Deer" !:goofygrin:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey booboo :waving: Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper: These guys always recommendthe G.P.S. Navigation system :dance:to help you on your route. :walker:Where ever you go ride safe and ride far. :18red:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

You sound like you have done this before! Road directions sound amazing. I have had several people tell me to take the Blue Ridge Parkway. Plan on going to Branson. All the packing sounds good, except one thing! That is not enough clothes for me. I guess I'll just have to learn how to pack light.:15red:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

booboo wrote:
You sound like you have done this before! Road directions sound amazing. I have had several people tell me to take the Blue Ridge Parkway. Plan on going to Branson. All the packing sounds good, except one thing! That is not enough clothes for me. I guess I'll just have to learn how to pack light.:15red:
Clothes? Uh oh, time to buy a "Uni-Go" trailer!

uni-go.com

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

booboo said:
You sound like you have done this before! Road directions sound amazing. I have had several people tell me to take the Blue Ridge Parkway. Plan on going to Branson. All the packing sounds good, except one thing! That is not enough clothes for me. I guess I'll just have to learn how to pack light.

You will surprise yourself, though I have caught What's Her Name sneaking an extra item or two. You gotta get away from the idea that you're going to change your outfit 2 or 3 times a day. You are not out there to look pretty, leave the makeup and hairdryer at home. Chances are you are going to buy a souvenir t-shirt or two, and you will come across opportunities to do laundry. Which brings to point ....wear nothing but dark clothes so you will only have one load to do. Whether you are camping or hoteling you can find ones that have a laundry room and they sell the one load size of laundry soap. Laundry is done in the evening while you have a rest or while you are having supper, so there is no down time. Remember when going through the Ozarks, stay way from the boiled peanuts to reduce your laundry load!!!!

What's her name and I now have a trailer and took full advantage of the extra room which we way over packed. There were clothes we never even touched.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

As far as clothes go, you can turn underware inside out and get another 3 days right there!!!! I always told my wife we could swap and get another 6 days but she would not go along with that!!! Really we always try to stay somewhere you can wash at motel if possible every 3 or 4 days. :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's always been my thought that if you need a trailer you have too much stuff. But if you have a trailer and need even more space you REALLY DO have too much stuff. Since most bike travellers aren't carrying formal clothes you only need a couple pairs of pants and shirts, several days underwear and socks and your personal kit. (razor, toothbrush and all that junk) That will be enough for three or four days on the road before you need a laundry. I've made some long trips solo and managed to get everything inside the bike including a tent and sleeping bag. You don't have quite as much storeage room on the 1800 as my old 1500 but it's close. I've travelled more by light plane more than motorcycle in the past but it's all the same, the best and most experienced travellers travel with the least gear. Since you're not going to be in the bush you'll have access to purchase anything you need along the way so don't bring big bottles of soap, shampoo, shaving cream or big tubes of toothpaste, keep things small and few as possible.

I get by in the rain with my Frog Togs pants and jacket over my regular gear, I wear leather boots and treat them with silicone oil once in awhile and wear ugly rubber work gloves with a thin cheap cloth glove inside when it's rainy and cold. A good leather (or textile if you're not old school) jacket with a flannel or other heavy shirt underneath, jeans and for real cold stuff a set of thermal longhandled underwear do the job for me. If it gets really cold put the Frog Togs over everything, it helps a lot and is something you are already carrying anyway. Don't worry too much about cold weather, you can always wait until it gets cold and buy what you need. Wally World is everywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

That is some great advise about the gloves! It is hard to get the hands colder that with a pair of wet leather gloves on a cool/cold day!! :cheeky1::cheeky1: :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Exavid:
wear ugly rubber work gloves with a thin cheap cloth glove inside when it's rainy and cold.
The ones I find best are the ugly toxic orange ones that truckers use when handling diesel fuel. They are lined and have a rough surface

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

stretrod48 wrote:
As far as clothes go, you can turn underware inside out and get another 3 days right there!!!! I always told my wife we could swap and get another 6 days but she would not go along with that!!! Really we always try to stay somewhere you can wash at motel if possible every 3 or 4 days. :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin:
And by then they're so stiff you can use them as "Cup Holders" !!:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I've made some long trips solo and managed to get everything inside the bike including a tent and sleeping bag.
C'mon Exavid.....if you're old school you take a ground sheet, a sleeping bag, and another ground sheet to throw on top of you. When you pack, you roll the sleeping bag inside the ground sheet for weather proofing. (Actually its warmer than using a tent because the top sheet traps body heat, and it's drier than a tent if it rains)

Kyle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.