Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Saturday afternoon we adopted a new 2010 GL1800, then last night we took in a new-to-us American Hauler cargo trailer.

I'm about ready to put a "goodies order" in and was wondering if anyone has comments about the Add-On trailer hitch. Also, I don't see an isolator typewiring harness for the 1800, is it not necessary? I already have the 5-4 wire convertor.

Attachments

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

I have but one question...Where can i adopt one of those? ....:baffled:

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

I have a hitch on my 1500 that resembles the Add On version… I have to keep straightening it after I tow my trailer. I've also installed Bushtec and if they still made one for my 1500 it would be the one I'd invest in. Yes they are pricey but in this case I think you get what you pay for.

There are isolator kits for the 1800's and yes you do need one. The one from Bushtec is 'plug and play' and is included with the hitch kit.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

Awesome set up Greg! Congrats! I have the Add On vertical hitch installed and have pulled my trailer about 12K miles without any issues. Some folks say that the hitch doesn't give you enough connection to the frame as it's connecting to the saddlebag mounts but again, I have not experienced any issues with mine. I like the vertical because the rear of the bike looks clean with it off. In addition, I would not run a trailer without the isolater installed. I base this on what I have learned during my research. The isolator allows the trailer lights to be isolated from the rest of the bike's lights and it just makes good sense to me.

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

There is an isolator for the 1800 and it would be a good idea to get one.

Nice set up:applause:

·
Premium Member
616 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the replies folks.

I won't be hooking up without an isolator harness, but the retailer I first selected doesn't have one listed on their web site. Reviews for the harnesses are all over the place, so I'll have to pick carefully.

Daryl, I got the Wing at Drover Powersports in Brandon. Therewas a immaculate and stunning White 2008 that first caught my eye, but for a variety of reasons I chose to go with the new 2010 - my first new bike in about 26 years. Actually I went in looking for a Road Dog trailer but Carol started talking to the salesman about getting a new bike. I'm glad things worked out the way they did.

The trailer was a private deal. We had to remove the HD and HOG decals ourselves :)

Regards,

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I see on Kijiji they had 2 different style Road Dog trailers listed... wound up snapping up a used Cycle-Mate trailer in Saskatchewan instead. A buddy of mine in Moose Jaw picked it up for me. I'm just putting together everything I need; i.e. waiting for the hitch and isolator harness to arrive so I can install everything before going there to pick it up.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Daryl, just take note that Oak Lake is almost at the half-way point to Regina, so if you feel the need for a coffee break ................

Daryl Martel wrote:
I see on Kijiji they had 2 different style Road Dog trailers listed... wound up snapping up a used Cycle-Mate trailer in Saskatchewan instead. A buddy of mine in Moose Jaw picked it up for me. I'm just putting together everything I need; i.e. waiting for the hitch and isolator harness to arrive so I can install everything before going there to pick it up.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

No more sisters. Did I also tell you she found the trailer? and wrote the cheques for the Wing and the trailer?

Here's another shot of the touring combo. It looks quite similar to the style of the ION from Time-Out, but the suspension is different and this one is extremely well built (not that the ION is a wimp) and has a GVW rating of over 3000lbs - this is built to last forever.

78OldRide wrote:
Greg does your wife have a sister ? The wife started talking new bike what a dream.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Greg and Carol wrote:
Daryl, just take note that Oak Lake is almost at the half-way point to Regina, so if you feel the need for a coffee break ................

Daryl Martel wrote:
PM sent

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

Greg, nice ride!

If I were you, I would only use a Bushtec, Rivco, or Dauntless hitch. There may be others, but these are 3 that I know brace off the frame, and have the frame carry the vertical load instead of just be attached to the crashbar mounts for horizontal. and the saddlebag triangle for vertical.

I don't know that using the saddlebag triangle will be bad, bu tit certainly makes more sense to me to load the frame, which can stand it.

Also, with an ABS bike you need ot use an isolater. You don't want electrical issues affecting your brakes...

=Dave=

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Holy Cow!!! What a dream set-up! AND your bride wrote the checks??? Would you please have her call my wife for a little inspirational training??? Man you lucky dog, you!!! I absolutely LOVE the teardrop trailers, and you got one of the BEST ones you can buy! Man, you must be livin' right!!! Congratulations!!! DandyDave is spot on. If at all possible, use the frame mounted hitches. Rivco is, by the way, one of the few factories who do chrome the old fashion "triple plate" way. I used to work for U-Haul in Phoenix, and Rivco supplied alot of stuff for trailer refurbishing. And those trailers last for hundreds of thousand miles. So happy for ya!!!! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks Dave.

I haven't seen any hitches in real life, but the two I was considering are the Kuryakin and Bushtec, although I'm about ready togo forthe Kuryakin - does the Kury (6-points) attach like you suggest? The trailer I have is very solid and looks similar to the ION, but this has a fibreglass body, aluminum floor, a 2" aluminum frame, and a solid axle. Even the cooler rack is very solidly build and attached like it is going into a war zone :) Therefore, I don't want any sort of wimpy hitch setup.

Seems to be some pretty good reviews on those two hitches, although some people have a slight difficulty getting the Kury on because of some pretty tight fits.

Isolated harness is the only way to go - agreed. My retailer of choice won't have any in stock for a couple of days. I already have the 5-4 harness.

Regards,

Dandy Dave wrote:
Greg, nice ride!

If I were you, I would only use a Bushtec, Rivco, or Dauntless hitch. There may be others, but these are 3 that I know brace off the frame, and have the frame carry the vertical load instead of just be attached to the crashbar mounts for horizontal. and the saddlebag triangle for vertical.

I don't know that using the saddlebag triangle will be bad, bu tit certainly makes more sense to me to load the frame, which can stand it.

Also, with an ABS bike you need ot use an isolater. You don't want electrical issues affecting your brakes...

=Dave=

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Sorry Jim, if Carol spends any time on you and yours, that's less time she has to devote to me :D36 years invested -- still great!!!

I see Rivco has a different attachment system than Kuryakin. Is one better (more solid) than the other? Rivo is $100 or so more expensive - worth it? I don't mind spending the money (err, Carol's money) but only if there is a solid advantage.

Regards,

jimsjinx wrote:
Holy Cow!!! What a dream set-up! AND your bride wrote the checks??? Would you please have her call my wife for a little inspirational training??? Man you lucky dog, you!!! I absolutely LOVE the teardrop trailers, and you got one of the BEST ones you can buy! Man, you must be livin' right!!! Congratulations!!! DandyDave is spot on. If at all possible, use the frame mounted hitches. Rivco is, by the way, one of the few factories who do chrome the old fashion "triple plate" way. I used to work for U-Haul in Phoenix, and Rivco supplied alot of stuff for trailer refurbishing. And those trailers last for hundreds of thousand miles. So happy for ya!!!! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

I have a 2010 that I picked up in February, but your radio is on the left side it appears just like the 2012. So does anyone know when that was actually moved from the center to the left side? Variations of the 2010 model?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Well, I have never been dissappointed with Rivco. I know thier chrome is much better quality. I don't think the Kury stuff has as good a chrome job. I have several Kury doo-dads, and every one has peeled! Just my experience. Jim

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I went to the RIVO site and it appears that the isolated harness is included in their price, so it's not all that much more expensive. Hmmmm......I'll look that over when I have a bit more time this evening.

Regards,

jimsjinx wrote:
Well, I have never been dissappointed with Rivco. I know thier chrome is much better quality. I don't think the Kury stuff has as good a chrome job. I have several Kury doo-dads, and every one has peeled! Just my experience. Jim

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I don't know all the variations, but I have been told that we in Canada have fewer selections than the US. Apparently we don't have base models available - dealers make more money with more options included.

Mine has the Airbag, hence moving the radio stuff to the left side. At least that's what I think :smiler:

Regards,

bksneezy wrote:
I have a 2010 that I picked up in February, but your radio is on the left side it appears just like the 2012. So does anyone know when that was actually moved from the center to the left side? Variations of the 2010 model?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.