Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello all:

Our first post was to the welcome area of your forums. A BIG thank you to all that welcomed us here not only as new members of this forum but also as new Goldwing owners. My wife and I had been experiencing some problems ( tension) in our relationship and in life as a general. With this economy I imagine we are not the only ones who felt the "pinch" and needed an outlet that could be affordable and perhaps help us grow closer with each other again. I was convinced getting back into motorcycling would be a good outlet for this and so we had purchased a 1980 Goldwing GL1100 Interstate with 90,000 miles in Gainsville FL for a song and were thrilled at the prospect of riding together. I have been an avid rider for 20 years, but abscent from the scene for about 15 years, this was to be my return to motorcycling. My wife had only been on short rides around town with a few friends a few times. She really had no idea what owning a big bike and taking trips was all about but after talking to her about some of my experiences from years past she consented we were stoked to be getting a wing and into touring life together, even going to events and rallies.

We loaded up our Jeep and rented a trailer from Uhaul to haul our new prize home to Maumelle, AR. We decided to take a few extra days off and make an extended week end out of it and if our wing checked out, spend sometime in the wind on the Atlantic coast line. When we arrived in Gainsville, it had been pouring rain for many days and most of FL had been flooded out. We of course had to check out our purchase in a soaking rain storm, then load this beast of a thingwith a torn up seat and stickers all over it so that we couldhead on over to the FL DMV for our temp tags. Needless to say my poor wife was not feeling the same excitement at this point which I was!

We had already lined up insurance with Progressive prior to leaving AR. FL DMV was great, it only took about ten minutes to have everything lined out with a temp tag ready to go on our bike and so our next stop was to Streit's Honda in Gainsville to pick their brains about our new bike and find out if they could spot anything wrong with our old girl that we should be aware of. The main guy for wings there ( MIKE ) was great. He had owned several models of the 1100 and was so kind to show us all the ins and outs of this particular machine. While being pretty darned ugly and more than a bit broken down looking, he assureed usafter a pretty thorough going over the bike was deemed mechanicly sound and so after helping my wife purchase a new helmet we headed off to Crescent Beachon the coast for some more rain and surf.

When we arrived at our condo ( we got one on the beach cheap because everyone had cancelled after a week of rain) we unpacked and then promptly passed out to the sounds of the Atlantic crashing over the beach through our patio door. The next day we broke out the Honda for a first ride together as husband and wife. The ole girl fired upon the first try with no choke and after a few small puffs of blue smoke from the after market headers we were blowing our way down FL HWY 1 toward Daytona... 30 minutes out we stopped to adjust a few things, get some breakfast and then push on. After almost reaching Daytona we were blanketed by driving rain and our wing took it in stride. What a thrill! Anyone else may have been put offby this but we were totally hooked!!! We were touring bike owners and on the coast together ridingour wing... what could be better!

After some dashes around the eastern coast line and meeting some wonderful biker folks in other areas we loaded for the trip home. My wife Berta drove our Jeep and I rode to ole wing up to St. Augistine where we had a wonderful meal and decided to load the bike on the trailer for our trip back.

Our first trip together, the bike, itself and a few trips since have been great experiences which have brought my wife and I closer together, we have had more fun experiences since this trip that we would love to tell you all about including one hair raisingsurvival story butI feel I have ranted on enough for the moment.After being away from bikes for over 15 years I had forgotten what I was missing out in the wind but even at my age and with the age of our old wing we are showing it is never too late to get back in the wind and have some fun. Thankyou to everyone that has helped us from this forum to the folks at Streit's Honda in Gainsville, FL.

If you enjoyed my little tale of getting back into motorcycling at my age and after so many years, sound off here if you too enjoyed it and my wife and I will write more about our experiences as first time wing owners and returning bikers. Hope to see you all "out there" and in the wind!

Chris and Berta Lemke

1980 GoldWing GL1100

91,863 miles... still going strong.:waving:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Welcome from up here, it sounds like you got a win / win situation on your hands, congrat's & keep it up. :clapper::clapper::waving::waving::action::action:

·
Premium Member
20,611 Posts
imported post

Congrats and I hope you make it to the 5th Annual Midwest Meet and Greet in Eureka Springs, AR September 4-7.

We would love to have you two there and it's a good way to meet a lot of forum members here! :action:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Let me be the first to congradulate you :clapper:and also welcome you to this great forum:waving:.

I can relate to the fact of feeling great while riding even in the rain. These bikes do it just like you say,,, " with stride". I get a big kick out of folks in their cage's looking at me like I haven't got enough since to get out of the rain,,,,,,,, they just don't get it:cool:.

And as for stories of your riding adventures,,,,,,,,,,,,, BRING EM ON,,,,,,, we feast on that stuff:p. And pics,,,,,,,,,, gotta give us pics.

Enjoy;)

Dang,,,,,,, thought I would be first,,,,,, gotta type faster:dude:

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the site Chris and Berta :waving:

I know just what you mean, Da Boss and I have been married for 15 years. Since our son was born we never really had a chance to go off just the two of us. Don't get me wrong, we had a few weekend things here and there, but nothing to far from home.. Last year there was our Rally down in Calhoun Ga, Da Boss and I loaded up the trailer and headed south... Let me tell you, it was the best time we have had, just the two of us in a while... It's amazing how 2 wheels can bring two people closer than they thought possible :action:

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

hope you and your wife have many enjoyable years of riding together.

enjoyed the write up also.

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

AspectOne, thanks for sharing your trip with us. I's really amazing when you get an old machine that is reliable, comfortable and makes you smile from ear to ear.

Many years of safe and happy riding to you.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Welcome again, and yes please share your experiences. As you share yours, I'm sure we can add some of ours right with it.

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome and Hello from central Fl . Yep we had a bout with rain . Good to hear you were able to pick up your new wheels and get a :action:ride in as well . I wish the 3 ofyou (wife/hubby, bike)many miles together . Please visit here often and keep us updated of your travels . Check the events forum here and you can find lots of group riding info scattered about the country . I am getting Jonesed up about the upcoming Montrose CO gathering .

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Magic Chariot

When Red and I first got together in 1989, I had just gone through a mid-career divorce and had nothing but a job and an ‘87 Honda Magna. As a low-paid public school employee, I was not going to have much of anything else soon, either…. I had two and a half months vacation every summer, but no money to spare, none.

(to read more........)

http://goldwingfacts.com/blog/?cat=3&paged=2

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Congratulations and welcome!

Also many props on your selection of one excellent piece of machinery to bring your lives back together on. My 80 has right about 130,000 on it, and I've had it for the last 19 years.

One of the things I love about it is that Gina and I can be fussing about something inconsequential, I'll just spout off "Let's go for a ride" and the fussin' stops instantly...and is forgotten about before we even hit the highway. :)

Many many happy miles to you both!

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the best Wingers place on earth! Just sent you a PM about MOKAT 1, hope you can make it. Lots of good roads in Arkansas to check out.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Welcome from another fellow Arkie. Glad to have you and hope to read more of your stories.

DeDub :18white:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Welcome and good story! My wife and I had a similar experience last year riding from our place in Stanwood, WA across the state to our destination of Carson (which is along the Columbia river gorge) and along to and around Mt.St. Helens. We even road into Oregon and explored the wineries around Mt.Hood. I was a little worried riding on a 34 year old bike, but this wasn't any old bike, it's a Honda Goldwing! We put over 1000 miles on her in 4 days and had the best time ever. The bike performed admirably. We averaged about 38 mpg. Our next trip is going to be into Canada to Whistler. Thanks for sharing your story.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Great story. The love of a good woman is truly a wonderful thing, but to have one that will share the open road on a bike is...............well.....................gravy.
Enjoy the wing and the wind.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Having Fun is what it's all about... Welcome

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Welcome from a neighbor in the Lone Star State. Arkansas is one of my favorites, and we really enjoy riding and camping there. If you can work it out, try to make it to E.S. in September.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the story. I think everyone who has had a woman in their life has at one time or another had times that were difficult, to say the least. I've been married almost thirty years and we still get on each others nerves.
And you are right, riding sure seems to help take the edge off of everything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.