Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I don't know about the rest of you but I don't consider my wing a toy. I use it for work, vacation, going to the store, taking my wife to the doctor and other very usefull things. I get allot pleasure out it and save on gas at the same time. I am not a weekend rider or a fair weather rider. I ride till I can't ride no more. I live in wisconsin and when the snow and ice hit you're done riding. The only people who I consider having a cycle as a toy are the fairweather weekend ridersjust likepeople who own 4 wheelers and snowmobiles.

Just think how much gas we all could save if we were to use our cycles more often.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Very true statements, I too ride for more than just pleasure. I believe though the "toy" statement is related to travel becomes more of a pleasure :grinner::jumper::cooldj:when your on your wing than a chore. So as such, I'll take my toy :goofygrin:and continue doing those things others may dread. For we have the machine to make it a joy!!!!:cheeky1::clapper::waving:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

I think that the word "toy" is nothing more than a figure of speech. I don't think that anyone really considers their Wing as a "toy". I know that when I got my Wing, I would ask friends if they "wanted to see my new toy". I don't think of it as a toy. It is my baby, my bike.

I just bought a hot tub last week and I refer to it as my new toy now. It is nothing more than a figure of speech.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

Well I have Toys too. I have a Honda 250 4 wheeler that seldom get used, my wife's wing goes to work 2 or 3 times a week. But my Wing goes to work every day thatI am back in the home office and it takes me to where ever my work is a round the country when ever I can arrange that. The daily commute is about a hundred miles unless I take a short cut then you can add on another 20 tohundred miles. I usually get in5 or6 trips to one coast or another a year. So I guess I get my use out of it.

Of course if I can't ride a bike I have to resort to Butt Ugly, my 1976 full time 4 wheel drive 1/2 Ton chevy Tank. The Tank has about a thousand pounds of extra steal in the bumpers and bed rack, gets about 5 miles to the gallon and has about a thousand yard stopping distance at 80 mph. Is good for pulling tree stumps and stopping tail gators though. Last year I had a guy plow into my back bumper at a stop light completely totaled his little Toyota. Just bentmy welds a little on the back bumper and moved the truck about 6 inches. Sure hate to fill the dual 40 gallon tanks though.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

my "toys" are the O-scale trains that I have collected....

my '78 wing is my first baby

the 1200 belongs to my wife

the harley... well heck, after med school I deserved a reward

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well there are allot of people who consider a motorcycle as a toy or something used just for pleasure. Like I shouldn't waste my money on it. They kinda tic me off. For me so far my bike has ran better than most of my cars. Less to maintain than a car and as far as gas mileage you can't beat it. I'm sure allot of you have seen cars with one person in the morning and afternoon rush hours going to work. Just think if a majority of them rode their cycle instead. I realze it may be only it may only be a fraction of them but maybe if more people utilized their cycles more we wouldn't be nearing 3 dollars a gallon.

Speaking af gas has anyone heard of e85 fuel and will it work in any of the newer cycles? http://www.e85fuel.com/index.php

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Well I guess I piss you off then, because I have my toy my wife has her toy... I am a fair weather rider, I dont take my bike to work if it is going to rain, but I take it every other day. My wife only rides hers on week ends or for a few miles during the week when we get a chance to get away... She can't take hers to work because she has to take my son to day care/skool, and since she isn't that experience she prefers her car....

Sorry if this offends you but thats life:waving:

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

I don't consider my wings to be toys but mechanical masterpieces. Although for as long as I can rememberfrom childhood to present, "toys" in whatever shape of form have always given me pleasure. So I will let peoplecall my G/wings whatever they want, all I know is I'm having a great time. Unfortunately as much asI would like to ride each day I live in a large city with traffic gridlock on the motorways to and from work which makes using the G/wings for work unrealistic. All I can do is make the weekends as long as possible.

Regards to all,

John S.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

No You don't piss me offand I am not trying to piss anyone else off. What I am talking about is people who only think of cycles as toys and I mean toys as something you play with like it belongs in a sandbox or something. I just got into an arguement with someone who doesn't ride a cycle and who called my cycle a toy in a negative way. I am not saying there is anything wrong with fair weather riders either. I would prefer it be nice weather everytime I went out but it's not the case everytime I go out. I don't mind riding in therain. ( storms with lightning hail and heavy winds are a whole different animal then I take the car)I just think if more people utilized their cycles more we may save some money on our gas bills and have some fun at the same time.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

After rereading it, I agree with you...Just been one of those days where it seams everyone wants to pee on my parade:baffled:

I still refer to my truck as a toy also.... The way I see it is you dont quit playing with toys because you grow up..you grow up because you quit playing with toys:goofygrin:

I think I would get a lil pissy if somebody called any of my vehicles toys in a derogitory way:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

My toy just got 43 mpg today. Let 'em laugh. I'm blessed 'cause I can do certain facets of my job and ride my "toy" a lot.

What was that saying a few years ago? He who dies with the most toys wins.:gunhead:

I don't know about any of you out there, but I love to play. I'm almost 51 years old and by Gosh, I'm going to continue to have fun. I'm blessed because my child bride has also pretty much got to enjoy my(our) toys with me. Okay, maybe the 50 cal BMG was maybe a bit much:gunner::bananas::gunner2:but she enjoys going out to the range with me.

Life is short, life can be good, drive it like ya stole it, and have a great day.

BTW, watch out for the SMFKR's:arguing::blowingup:

hobie, who probably should put his little 'puter to sleep.

Good night all.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

My wing is definately my favourite toy, I am also a fairwheather rider.

I have a job that requires me to drive a company car which is available to me for full private use. Company pays all expenses including gas.

When I take my toy away for the weekend it is a choice. I also usually choose to ride in good warm wheather.

My wing is my toy and there is certainly nothing wrong with enjoying your toys.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
I still refer to my truck as a toy also.... The way I see it is you dont quit playing with toys because you grow up..you grow up because you quit playing with toys:goofygrin:
and as travis trit has so rightly sang, "there is something women love about a pickup man"

·
Registered
177 Posts
imported post

In my little piece of the world, if it has an engine then it is a toy. My wheel barrol does not meet the technical requirements.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

I dont consider my snow blower as a toy:baffled: but maybe the snowman does:goofygrin:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

I dont consider my Honda 50 as a toy. It gets me to the shop and back. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

There are "toy's and then there are "tools"

One I have fun with (makes me feel like a kid again)

One I make money with (makes me feel like a tired old man) !

.02 cents worth of "bone tired" wisdom.....:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I just got my Wing last week, and it is definitely a toy for me. It brought me much pleasure during the research and search. It entertained me when I looked in every possible place on her(she is female), and it will thrill me every time I take it out for a ride. I will, for the most part, be a fair weather rider, but I will eventually get caught in the rain and still go on--if safe--. I am retired and I do not need my bike for transport, just for fun. I have been quite astounded by the almost total lack of interest by most of my neighbours and friends--they just don't get it--why a man my age would want to have a big motorcycle. Well, I am 65, but I am healthy and semi-fit, I am big and strong, and I have a very young heart, so why not!. I have always wanted to EXPERIENCE the Goldwing, ever since I saw them in the 70's.

I have always enjoyed tooling with any type of machine and have been around cars and motorcycles all of my life, so I will not be afraid to tackle most any problem that the Wing produces. It will entertain me and so it is definitely a TOY for me.

BUT---- a very nice toy.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
I just got my Wing last week, why a man my age would want to have a big motorcycle. Well, I am 65, but I am healthy and semi-fit, I am big and strong, and I have a very young heart, so why not!. I have always wanted to EXPERIENCE the Goldwing, ever since I saw them in the 70's.
Good man Hawker22 :clapper:Your only a kid compared to me, :jumper:gosh when i was your age i was running marathons :weightlifter:Ride far and Ride Safe. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.