Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First I want to thank everyone for there good wishes (and phone calls) while I was healing. Now I have a problem. I saw an 1800 and really like the package. My plan is to use the pay out of my wing and pay down some debt. Once I am debt free, I plan to buy and 1800 or what ever they have at that time (36 months or so). I will be out of riding for that time because I promised my wife and I am hoping that 36 months will settle here nerves about me biking. I have considered buying a 04 with everything on it in candy red (my favorite color) and storing it until I can ride again, however, I would be very inclined to ride it when my wife is not around. The thought of being away from biking for any length of time is more painful then my current crushed chest. In any event, I will still be active on this site (if that’s OK for you folks). I know, you are all saying “but what about the 97 wing he just bought”? Well, I was forced to sell it as I really won’t be able to really ride safely for a while because I broke all my ribs and my sternum and my right ankle. Nice thing is I got $1500 more for the bike then I paid (maybe I should be on morphine every time I try and sell a bikeJ

Anyway, let my story ( two write off bike in 45 days) stand as a reminder to keep and ride very safely. Who know what the cager in front of you or heading towards you in the opposite direct might actually do and how it will effect you.

Merry x-mass

Dragoon.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

It sounds like you're playing games. I don't see any purpose in buying a bike you won't be riding for three years unless it it a special deal. There's always another bike around.

As far as hiding it from your wife, it's a bad idea and not that easy.

Regarding the forum, it's my understanding that it is for Goldwing enthusiasts. They don't have to be owners.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

first order of the day ---is to get well ! ! ! goldwings will be around a while .

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

Hiding a Wing is a little difficult. It's not like me sneaking a new muzzleloader in and putting it in one of the gun safes when she's not home (she don't know how many are in there anyhow). Get back to being healthy, then go look for another bike. It'll be there when you're ready.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Don't even think of not sticking around, :shock:you are part of this family, biking or not. Take care of yourself first. There will always be a bike that screams out to be bought. :action:

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Don't even think of not sticking around, :shock:you are part of this family, biking or not. Take care of yourself first. There will always be a bike that screams out to be bought. :action:
Fine then,

I will stick around. As for hiding my bike, I can keep it at my factory where my wife never goes, but I would feel really bad about lieing to her.

Once again, enjoy your rides but please be safe, I don’t want to read a similar story to mine on this or any other forum.

Cheers

Dragoon

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Dragoon wrote:

Anyway, let my story ( two write off bike in 45 days) stand as a reminder to keep and ride very safely. Who know what the cager in front of you or heading towards you in the opposite direct might actually do and how it will effect you.

Merry x-mass

Dragoon.
Hmmmm.........

Two written off bikes in 45 days!I can't even buy two bikes in forty five days! I'd sure hate to have your insurance rates! Since 1989 and almost 300,000 touring miles, I've had one written off....deer.....and I broke four ribs, and had a concussion and a pneumothorax.......... my cherished wife almost lost her left hand....

Perhaps you should forget about bikes and get yourself a Hummer, and weld steel plate all around, put a road guard up on top, drive like your life depends upon it! If you own your own factory you can probably afford it......

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I hope you get everything worked out to everyones satisfaction.

First of all, don't tell the wife a story. It usually doesn't work long and comes back to haunt you even worse.

Second, even after having wrecks, if you want to get back to riding, do it for yourself.

I hid my 1200 from my mother for two months and then made up my mind she would find out anyway. She was very down on motorcycles after my older brothers death on one over 20 years ago.

My younger brother was giving me a rash about having a bike when I told him, you've got to have a little adventure in your life. He immediately saw the truth of what I was saying and now just looks at me as the nut I've always been.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about the wrecks and your injuries. I hope you heal well and quickly. I can not be in another's shoes so I will simply say this:

Please do not diminish your riding experience by feeling you have to hide it. I for one would always welcome you here whether you are currently riding or not, whether you are currently riding a Goildwing, or not. Your heart and experience and mind are what brings you here.

IMO - if your wife really loves you (not saying she doesn't) - she should understand that riding is a part of you - I know it is me. It is part of the package - I would ride despite my wife objections if she had them after some long heart to hearts - but would not hide it from her. There are risks - for many the rewards are more than adequate. My wife - without any direction from me - has been overheard explaining to other wives why I was back riding so soon (because they do ask) said I was "different" than some and there was never a question after the raged cager attacked last 4th of July that I would be riding as soon as possible - 2 months of healing and I have 8500 miles in less than three months since then. We are in the early stages of planning our longest vacation ride ever - late this summer of pretty much the entire Western US. Our biggest "debate" is wheher we'll camp - or stay in cheap hotels - or get a trailer to tow behind the wing.

As far as the 2 in 45 days - I can't comment because I am sorry I do not know enough about the two incidents. I would say that if either had you at fault in any way - maybe you might take a MSF Safety class - again if needed - or advanced if needed. That may give your wife added comfort as well. Just a thought - maybe it would be a good "negotiating tool" - you could do the bookwork while your ribcage heals and the cyclework after.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

As a further thought, I must admit the planned 3 year hiatus from riding mystifies me..... I consider that my own accident, on July 29, was major; the collapsing lung, caused by my broken ribs, was serious, serious enough thatI was composing "last words" to my wife! ButI was on a new bike and riding long distances by September. I'm not trying to imply that you are wrong to delay so long... I just don't understand it. I couldn't not ride for 36 months anymore than I could lie to my wife....... I agree with Blackdog. Some training is in order.

Ah, well.... To each their own.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I am not planning on a three year hiatus from riding, but must prepare for it. I di rent a V-Rod for the weekend because my wife is away. Not my kind of bike. And it was in jest that I suggested hiding it from her. After one ambulance ride and one life flight on 1.5 months, I though it best to keep my plans to ride again to myself. Had I not bought the Goldwing, I would be looking for another Valk, but I got attached to the comforts a gold wing offers. I also test road a Suzuki king last eve and decided it was beyond the level I want to ride. I will be reading and posting as things cruise along. But the minute I catch my wife at a week point, I will jump on a Goldwing again. Riding for 30+ years and being married for only 8 make me think long and hard about it. Both accidents were “no fault” but will appear on my record anyway. My ribs hurt like hell after only 200 miles this aft on the V-Rod so I may well return it tomorrow and spend a well earned day in bed catching up with my DVR

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I must say, the wife is being irrational. Tell her that you plan on getting a new bike when you heal, but that you will take a motorcycle safety course before you do. Now, I am not saying you need the course, but it will placate her somewhat, I would think. And, why not. I wouldn't hestitate to take one, even though been riding for 4 decades. Good luck whatever you end up doing.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
imported post

Dragoon,

I've been off my bike since last January; but that is not because I can't or don't want to ride again.

Different set of circumstances here for me. Legal Beagle said "No bikes until we are done." I listen to some folks.

My wife is ready the minute we get the "green flag", she wants to tour and meet other folks who also tour.

I suspicion that by the time I'm able to get back in the saddle again, the MSF course would be beneficial to me. Inactivity does horrible things to your instincts.

Hiding a bike from your wife is wrong, I don't care where it is kept. Be up front with her and explain that bikes are part of the package. They were there when she met you, and I suspicion they would be there long after her if the situation went that way.

Finesse never hurts either :action:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Everything has it's own way of working itself out. if you want to return to riding than let mama know that riding is going to be in your future after your body & mind have come back to 100%. weather she approves or she does not, You have set the tone of the future for her to digest. I think you will find that it works like this, She will start by being defiant & saying "NO". Than she will begin explaining how scared she is of you getting hurt again etc. After she realizes that you are set in your decision there will be a few days of not talking about it followed by, If you got another bike, How much are you going to spend? Or What color would it be?

Than you know that she is beginning to accept the idea, Not like it, But except it. & you move slowly from that point. You will be cruising & healthy before you thought you would!

See ya on the black top!!!

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

The bitter irony of this whole thing is that I was registered to take the Old riders safety course on December 6[sup]th[/sup]. I attended the two night classes and had my accident the day before I was due to do the riding portion. I will not go on another big bike until I have completed the MSF again. My business partner wants to build a chopper and this summer we picked out a frame and a room to build it in. He was going to tell his wife it was mine should she find it and we were going to share it. My conscience would not allow me to hide anything from my wife as I love her dearly and it would crust a great marriage. I have not put a date on my return to riding, but will wait until the finances and the body are in really good shape. I have to attend several tradeshows for motorcycles and I know it will kill me driving the tradeshow truck up instead of the bike I planned to build as a show bike. Things DO have a way of working out and I just hope the pieces of the puzzle come together soon then later.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I hope you get better soon Dragoon. I'd personally hold off buying another bike until I was ready to ride it, no point in buying one and leaving it under wraps for a couple of years. In the meantime we will be glad of your company here while you are confined to the great indoors recovering.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Dragoon, what happened to your Valk?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

4evermetric wrote:
Dragoon, what happened to your Valk?
Somehow, when i took it in for a repair, my insurance company got wind that the crank case is craked and they paid me out for it as a write off. Its all too depressing to think about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.