Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

back in 99, before i started working at ford, where you work more than you are off, the wife and i were still riding on the same bike, we made plans on our vacation to ride to myrtle beach, stay for a week, then ride up I-95, and make our way to the outer banks of north carolina. we had no idea what we were in for. but we got a motel close to the outer banks and read on the pamphlets about a fairy and how to get there. let me iterject here and tell you about my wife. she hates being in water, she hates being close to water, she hates bridges, and she keeps saying she died in a past life by running off a bridge and drowned in a car. but she loves basking in the sun on the beach. so we left the motel, and made our way to the pick up point for the fairy. has anyone rode their wing with a passenger right into the water?....thats what it looked like i was doing when i rode us into the fairy. bad feeling. but we made it with no problems and i had to lock it down on the third leg and tie it down to a big ancor type thing on the floor of the fairy. we walked around for a minute, and then the wife says im tired and sprawls out on the wing and goes sound asleep! i found out later, that was the only way she could cope with being right in the water like that. so i guess i would rather have her sleeping than freaking out scared. the fairy trip lasted about 45 minutes, i woke her up and we took off and road to a gas station. she asked the person behind the counter how can we get back to the hyway without riding on that bridge. well?????.......you cant. so she figured a way around that too! she got the video camera out of the trunk, and turned it on, held it in one hand, and closed her eye that wasnt looking in the camera! and away we went, OVER THE BRIDGE! she kept the camera rolling the whole time we were on that bridge, and if anyone has done this trip, you know that is one long bridge. thats what makes the ride so cool. you got water on both sides of you! if youre not looking through a video camera, with your other eye shut, it seems as though you are riding right through the water. :D so we proceeded on over the bridge with no problems and she was fine at the end of the bridge. and ill tell you what: we got one heck of a video of the whole adventure. so we got on 95, and ran it up to virginia and hit rt 50 and came home to ohio. not all on the same day of course. but that is another one of our many adventures on a gold wing!....she also said we are never going to do that trip again. period, end of story!....i said after what you have been through on this trip, i have to agree!.....so come on wingnutts, tell us your story about the outer banks of north carolina. if you did it on a wing, its got to be good.................rick

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

That is a great ride, nice write up. It is nice that the wife can cope with the water problem. Last time I rode around there was on my 72 BMW R75/5.

I hope both of you have some more great rides!!

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Barbara and I went there last May. What a great place to ride! We went to Ocracoke Island on the ferry, with the trike and enjoyed it. We are going back in June this year, can't wait! I went Blue fishin off Avolon Pier, and caught enough for dinner! KittyHawk is a must see as well. Glad you got to see all that stuff, hard to put into words, isn't it? Hope you get to go again! We rented a condo with a couple we have been friends with for 20 odd years. Condo was cheaper than hotels! Good food,too! We cooked most meals at home. jimsjinx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.