Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

output on GL1500 Versus GL1800 alternators?

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  DriverRider 
#1 ·
I know the GL 1500 alternators are rather anemic in output. Thinking of upgrading to a larger output. I also have a GL1800 that seems to have quite sufficient output.
What is the difference in outputs between the 2. I know the 1800 is quite a bit more but can't recall how much more.

#6 ·
Lots of reports, I would say around 50% either way.
It is a pig in the poke, just because it is "Rewound and repaired" does not make it bullet proof.

even brand new alternators have failure rates, and they have never been used.
depends on how careful the builder is with the wire junctions.
some of them just use little crimp connections, and don't squeeze it hard enough.
3 years ago, I decided to buy a new OEM alternator "just because'.
the one in my bike had 97,500 miles on it, no problems, but I was going on a 6 week tour, and just "felt more comfortable" with a new OEM alternator. the cost was maybe $10 bux more than the other guys.... the old alternator was put in the box the new one came in, and then placed in the trailer that I pulled on that trip. It is still in the box, in the trailer. :)

#8 ·
Another consideration manufacturers use for sizing an alternator is output at idle RPM. An alternator can only output a small fraction of its "rated" output at idle speed, They size the alternator so that at idle RPMs the alternator will still output enough current to run the bike's electrical system (not including added accessories). But the alternator field is running "saturated" at that point.

Of course, on the 4 cyl Wings the alternator field is ALWAYS saturated. Thus shunt regulators. :ROFLMAO:

#9 ·
Another consideration manufacturers use for sizing an alternator is output at idle RPM. An alternator can only output a small fraction of its "rated" output at idle speed, They size the alternator so that at idle RPMs the alternator will still output enough current to run the bike's electrical system (not including added accessories). But the alternator field is running "saturated" at that point.

Of course, on the 4 cyl Wings the alternator field is ALWAYS saturated. Thus shunt regulators. :ROFLMAO:
That is not the case for a GL1500 OEM alternator.....!

#10 ·
So since no one gave a recommendation I'll ask. What Alternator should I get to boost my '98's output? I'm running a two seat sidecar and would like to have enough juice for the heated blanket that I know is gonna be on Momma's Christmas list.

#13 ·
So since no one gave a recommendation I'll ask. What Alternator should I get to boost my '98's output? I'm running a two seat sidecar and would like to have enough juice for the heated blanket that I know is gonna be on Momma's Christmas list.
Get the CompuFire and call it a day. They are the only manufacturer that can guarantee 60A available output at idle speed and if it ever needs repair, parts are widely available.:)

#11 ·
CompuFire is one https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/gl1500-turn-signal-issue.486178/#post-2968138

Fix it yourself https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threa...mpufire-alternator.493418/page-2#post-3079770

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.