Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My brothers GL1200AE has a leak from the oil seal on the output shaft (the shaft that joins onto the propshaft).

Has any of our venerable members ever changed one?

If so, care to share the info?

I have a 1200 Haynes but its very sketchy in this department.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Oletimer (George)

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

It isn't too hard. UJ will need to be pulled off and you can pry the old seal out and tap teh new one in.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thank you for your reply Ben - is it really THAT easy? The manual isn't really very helpful.
Cheers
George

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
imported post

I think the Honda manual says to pull the engine. I had a knowledgeable mechanic do mine and he didn't pull the engine. Took him a couple of hours with good tools and a lift.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

you will have to remove the motor mounts and shift the motor foward about 1/4 inch or so i think when i pulled my motor i forgot to put the driveshaft boot on and had it all the way back together and i took out the bolts and got it to move about 1/4 inch foward more than enough room to do the seal

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

You should be able to pull the boot back and pry the driveshaft back, it's spring loaded so keep your fingers out of the way or it will bite you. You can then get the seal out with the u-joint out of the way. The hardest part is getting the driveshaft lined up and back on the spline. It helps to have some help with this but you could do it in less than a half hour. Paul

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

You guys are a God send - I had visions of BIG strip downs, sore knuckles and foul language on the orizon :)
Thank guys, I'll be giving it a go during the next few days...
I'll post the result

A BIG thanks from across the pond
Oletimer
George

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

The bad news is you still might have some sore knuckles and foul language but the good news is you don't need to unbolt or move the engine. There is a small spring type clamp over the front of the boot so be careful you don't forget or lose it. All you need is the bike on the centerstand and a couple heavy duty screwdrivers to pry it off. Like I said, be careful, it's a strong spring so brace yourself. Put some Moly 60 or heavy grease on the shaft spline when you put it back on. The seal has a lip around it so you can work it out all the way around with a small screwdriver and tap the new one back in straight.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Ok, thanks PYanney. I'm STILL not 100% sure about this job - but its got to be done. I think the worst part of it all will removing the back wheel - I hate that job. Tyre changes are a cringe for me, so much to move before getting down to the job in hand. Good time for inspections on the back end tho.
Cheers
Oletimer
George

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.