Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all...got a little project over the next few days and wondering if some of you would share with me your wisdom and knowledge.
My Limited has 201,000 kms....last fall I changed out the drive to a 1500...replaced the driveshaft and the u-joint.
Recently, I found that my output shaft seal is leaking and will need to be changed.
I picked up the seal yesterday, and am ready to go.
Just how difficult is to put the new seal in??
The old one will likely pry out easy enough because of age...however, the new one looks like it might be a little tougher to put on.
Is there a little trick of the trade, that you guys have used in putting the new seal on??
Do you put grease around the lip of the seal??.
Do you use a mallet to tap it in??
Do you soften up the edge with a heat gun??.
Looking to get some suggestions as I don't want to damage the new seal in any way.
Love my old girl...however, as you know she needs some TLC once in a while.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

If it's similar to a wheel bearing seal, You gently tap it in. I always use grease to let it slide. If you can find a socket that is the same diameter as the seal, it will aid in getting it to slide in strait. A seal cannot go in on an angle. So it is best to very lightly tap around the perimeter until it seats.

Make sure that the metal housing has no burrs or dirt that will get in the way of the seal sliding in.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Grease and just tapping around the seal worked for me years ago. The seal has a nice big lip and is easy to tap. I tried a large socket over the seal but that didn't leave much space for the hammer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.