Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

On a long trip do you guys & gals fill your gas tank over the neckline (full mark) to get a few more miles on your 06-09 GL1800, I have never done that , but wondered if anyone else has.

This is my first long trip with this bike , I am riding up to North Carolina to do a little mountain cruising next week. Than to Key West, FL .:18yellow:

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
imported post

I've done it a few times but always leave an inch or two. I figure that level will drop in 15 minutes of riding anyway.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

My ride is an 82 but yeah, I fill as much as I can without overflowing when I'm trippin..

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

I always fill TO the neck, but not into it. Between 25-30 miles the guage will have already dropped below the full mark anyway.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I tend to fill it up to the bottom of the neck and click it once or twice. I used to ride for 180+ miles them look for a gas station.

I have found with the last trip that I tend to stop every 90 minutes just to rest and look around. So every second stop I was filling up the tank.

Now I just fill up every time I stop (1/2 tank) and I don't have to worry so much about whether or not I will make it to the next gas station in the middle of the southwest.

I have made several long trips where I was running on fumes by the time I got to the next station. I put 6.48 gallons in a 6.5 gallon tank!!. After that I bought a small 1.5 gallon gas can that I haul on the top of my trailer.

I hope never to have to use it, unless I find some unfortunate soul who drove past the last station thinking they could make it to the next cheaper one.:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

When I fill up I always fill it to the top, but I always fill it so that I drive it imediately afterward to burn down the top off. I know it says to fill to the neck but I don't let it sit after fill up.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Hmmmm... interesting question. I basically fill it to the bottom of the fill neck. BUT - I have tried to do more - slowly to try not to spill into the overflow outside of the tank (I find this hard out here in the west because the danged pumps have these hair triggers where once its flowing - it BLASTING out). BUT - I have noticed when I do find a pump where I can "trickle" more in to try to go up the neck that it seems to keep going (the pump keeps trickling - but the fill doesn't seem to get fuller up the neck). Someone told me there is an overflow "pinhole" in the neck that if you do this it will just keep trickling out and eventually you'll have gas all over - under the tupperware and on the ground - not good. Don't know how true that is - but I basically try to fill and trickle to just barely inside the fill neck for these reasons.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

I fill it as full as I can get it without splashing all over the place.

I was riding home from Toronto about 6 weeks ago on the Nomad, thinking to stop 1/2 way for gas. The station was closed. :( No problem, there's another one about 50km (I thought) down the road in Perth. The low fuel light came on just before getting to Perth (almost 70km). Since it was raining fairly heavily I wanted a coffee before filling up and carrying on. After my coffee I headed over to the gas station and got there just in time to see them turn out the lights. At that point I had 280km on the tank, had never gone more than 305km and had 35km to go.:doh:

Between over filling the tank, hunching down under the windscreen and keeping the speed under 80km I made it to Carleton Place and got gas.

I don't normally wait for the light to come on before getting gas but I don't want to get caught short because of circumstances beyond my control either. I don't know how much extra gas goes in the Wing once you hit the neck but on the Nomad it was almost 1 litre, enough for an extra 10-15kms.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

wingpass wrote:
On a long trip do you guys & gals fill your gas tank over the neckline (full mark) to get a few more miles on your 06-09 GL1800, I have never done that , but wondered if anyone else has.
Is the neck/tank different starting in 06?

The amount that will fit in the neck of my 05 is such a small amount that I never bother filling it and having it over flow. I do fill it until it starts to fill it so that I know the tank is full so I'm consistent for checking mileage.

I tend to fill the tank long before it close to empty. I ran out riding my CB900 once. (no gas gauge). The gas mileage dropped from 40 to about 25, so I was expecting to be able ride many more miles.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I always fill to the bottom of the locking ring at the top of the neck. Makes computing mileage much easier if you have a known, constant quantity to start with.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

I only mentioned the GL1800 2006-2009 gas tanks because I am not familiar with the older style Goldwings, are they the same?

As Blackdog said , I also considered the fact that there may be a overfill hole or drain so it could not be overfilled.

As I said I have not tried it (yet) but I did get an aggressive pump that poured gas over the neck into the overflow area and I was like magic, gas seemed to disappeared into nowhere, I looked under the bike , not a drop. :?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.