Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello everyone, coming along slowly on the " sitting wing" ( it was in a shed for many years when i found it) Have it stripped down and am cleaning 20 years of grime, dirt, oil, and rust. Changing all fluids ( the clutch resevoir looked like it was full of DARK browm oatmeal!) Anyway I have flushed the diff. and have read some posts that the 84 wing differential doesnt carry enough lube for proper lubrication so some people overfill past the filler plug line by leaning the bike over to the side when filling. Some have said what the diff cant use it will blow the ecxess out the breather. My question is does anyone know how MUCH I can overfill the rear (quantity) without turning the back of the bike into the exon valdese? Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

dburnash wrote:
Hello everyone, coming along slowly on the " sitting wing" ( it was in a shed for many years when i found it) Have it stripped down and am cleaning 20 years of grime, dirt, oil, and rust. Changing all fluids ( the clutch resevoir looked like it was full of DARK browm oatmeal!) Anyway I have flushed the diff. and have read some posts that the 84 wing differential doesnt carry enough lube for proper lubrication so some people overfill past the filler plug line by leaning the bike over to the side when filling. Some have said what the diff cant use it will blow the ecxess out the breather. My question is does anyone know how MUCH I can overfill the rear (quantity) without turning the back of the bike into the exon valdese? Thanks for any help!
dburnaIsh, I can't directly answer your question of exactly how much extra oil you can add. But can say- I fill my 86 Wing to the bottom of the fill plug opening while on the side stand & regularly ride at 90-95 MPH & have never had any oil spew out the top vent. So I would say you can at least add that much extra.. You really shouldn't need any more than that in the rear housing.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

dburnash, I have heard the same thing. I did like twisty, filling it while on the side stand rather than on the center stand, as Honda says. I have not had any problems with oil leaks.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Ditto I always check it on the side stand. I filled it a little over a month ago, rode about 4500 miles and just rechecked it yesterday, still drools our the fill hole on the side stand. Still looks pretty clean. If it's not leaking you shouldn't need to add more oil than that. If you overfill enough to spill out the vent all you're going to get is a mess.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I do this as well. It's probably only a couple of spoonfuls extra, but it gives me peace of mind and I've never had any leak out of the vent or anywhere else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.