Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I found a small coolant leak in the 3/8 rubber hose that connects to the bottom of the rad and connects to a tee. When I pulled the line it drained about two quarts of coolant. I replaced the hose and filled the coolant reserve tank thinking the rad would fill on its own from the reserve tank. It didn't and the motor overheated on my way to work.

Question: When traveling at interstate speeds at high engine temps cause any ill affects to the Wing motor? I know the implications of running overheated automotive engines however, the needle never went into the red (close to it) and drove it for about 15 minutes at those temps. And where is the thermostat and how often do you change it?

I change the oil and topped off the radiator since then. All seems to be fine.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

Usually with aluminum engines the problem never shows itself right away. but it will shorten the life span of hoses, electrics, wires, and head gaskets. watch for smoke and check the oil for coolant . the head gasket will not go bad right away as it will take a little longer to deteriorate to the extent that it will need replaced

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.