Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I found a small coolant leak in the 3/8 rubber hose that connects to the bottom of the rad and connects to a tee. When I pulled the line it drained about two quarts of coolant. I replaced the hose and filled the coolant reserve tank thinking the rad would fill on its own from the reserve tank. It didn't and the motor overheated on my way to work.

Question: When traveling at interstate speeds at high engine temps cause any ill affects to the Wing motor? I know the implications of running overheated automotive engines however, the needle never went into the red (close to it) and drove it for about 15 minutes at those temps. And where is the thermostat and how often do you change it?

I change the oil and topped off the radiator since then. All seems to be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I think you should be ok, but I would keep an eye out for the typical issues that come with overheating.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Like said above you should be fine....keep an eye on it for a while though.

The thermostat is on top of the engine. You have to remove the radiators and fans to get to it. Not really sure if there is a time/milage limit on replacing one. I had to replace mine because of a overheating issue. My fans would come on like they should and the wing was still getting hot and I decided to replace the thermostat...which fixed the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

No worry, just fill the radiator and burp the system correctly and you should be fine. Previously your system was short on coolant and because it was not under pressure what coolant you had did not work as well as it should have.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I'm not sure what you mean about burping the system. I ran it with the rad cap off and made sure it stayed full and will check it often.

I watched the temp closely that morning it overheated and wasn't going to let it run into the red. I should have known better to check the level before I left.

Thanks to all...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.