Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok here is some background info. This bike is relatively new to me. I bought it in January. It seems to be getting pretty hot at idle before the fan kicks on. It is not so hot that you can't set your hands on the motor, but it is too hot to leave them there for very long. Once it kicks the fans on it begins to cool down immediately. I have changed the thermostat switch, but it still does the same thing. Also, it does not get hot when the bike is moving 20 to 30 mph or more. Any ideas what is wrong? Here is a pic of when the fan first kicks on.

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,275 Posts
imported post

As long as it's not boiling over or steaming, I wouldn't worry about it. Though that needle in the picture looks a little hot, it is still within the normal operating range.

My '87 Interstate gauge does the same thing.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

My 82 gl1100 interstate does the same thing in traffic. Never gets any hotter that that. I stop worrying about it after crossing Main Street bridge in Daytona Beach last year. Was in traffic for about 1 hour. hope this helps.

·
Administrator
25,537 Posts
imported post

The 4 1100s I have/had the fan starts at about that exact spot on all of them.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

where needle in now on temp is where it is normal for fan to kick on. give take a little

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Your gauge is similar to mine Chris, at highway speeds since cleaning and changing coolant, the bike runs cool, the only time it runs in the mid range is stop and go traffic, on a hot day

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Yup, this time of year my needle sits off to the left like that when riding, and hits the middle mark in traffic. If I had been more attentive I would have replaced the thermostat when I did my timing belts two years ago, but not terribly worried about it.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

Today was the first 80 degree plus day that I have had the bike out this year. It all seemed normal on the way home. As I hit some traffic, the temp guage went up but never to Red. Just to test, when I got home, I let it sit running in the driveway for a few minutes to see if the fan would kick on. Just as it hit the red, antifreeze poured out of the drain and I hear boiling and got some steam from the front of the falsie. No fan. Of course I shut it right off. I will start off by troubleshooting the fan. Anything I can test for?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.