Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

(short story: 79 had been overheating. bought new waterpump - bike already had a new pump "in situ." checked thermo and that was fine. looked at radiator - that appears fine (have extra in case))

I will end up putting it all back together this week and hopefully have it fired up by the coming weekend, but I do not have high hopes to have resolved the overheating issue, since I will have done very little to change my existing situation.

any more ideas before I bolt it all up?
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
(short story: 79 had been overheating. bought new waterpump - bike already had a new pump "in situ." checked thermo and that was fine. looked at radiator - that appears fine (have extra in case))

I will end up putting it all back together this week and hopefully have it fired up by the coming weekend, but I do not have high hopes to have resolved the overheating issue, since I will have done very little to change my existing situation.

any more ideas before I bolt it all up?
I don't have any good ideas, just long shots. How about the ignition timing and carburation, sometimes overheating isn't caused by the cooling system. Do the plugs look okay? Has the fan been coming on when the bike gets hot? Is the coolant a 50/50 mix and not water heavy?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

the fan was *not* coming on, so I wired it to the ACC and it was on all the time. The carburetion I thought was ok, but I will have to check the plugs again. It did pop a few times when I started it up this winter after having sat for a few months.

Yes, it's fairly presumptive of me to be posting this now, since I have not got the bike put back together just yet but I thought I could start on some new lead if anyone has any.
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
the fan was *not* coming on, so I wired it to the ACC and it was on all the time. The carburetion I thought was ok, but I will have to check the plugs again. It did pop a few times when I started it up this winter after having sat for a few months.

Yes, it's fairly presumptive of me to be posting this now, since I have not got the bike put back together just yet but I thought I could start on some new lead if anyone has any.
Nope it's not presumptive, good idea if someone can help out with some ideas before you button up. Sorry I can't. It is irritating, you know it's just got to be something pretty simple.
 

·
Other side of the pond
Joined
·
3,409 Posts
imported post

If all is as you say and the electric fan is working, check the top radiator hose when the engine warms up. If the hose is too hard and you can't squeeze it easily, then a head gasket may be failing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
Could air possibly be trapped in the system somewhere? Are you sure the pump is actually moving the water? Could still be a bad pump.

Bob

I am not sure that the pump is moving the water, but it is a new pump - and if it's still attached to the drive, how could it not move water? It is not loose nor is is "wonky" from side to side, so I simply assumed it was doing its job.

Would like to hear if there was a way to test this outside of the bike.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
imported post

in cars you can often see whether there is flow looking at the open radiator you should be able to "feel" tem,perature changes on the radiator when the thermostat opens.

I agree, if the pump turns it works. you could use the old srewdriver handle on the ear and tip to the water pump housing to "hear" if it turns while you run the engine, if not the problem is in the shaft that connects with the water pump...

is it possible you have a plugged up line somewhere in the engine from some debrie that got into the coolant side
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25 Posts
imported post

Not to tell you what to do, but if I had it tore down that much I'd put a hose on the input side of the pump, put it in a pan of water, start the bike and see if it pumped the pan dry. Turn the bike off after that. Oh, you have to prime the pump and hose (ensure they are full of water). The pump is not a self prime pump, so as some one else said - an air embolism will kill the pump :D - filled with air it won't pump. While at it hook the house water hose to the radiator and motor - force water through them to ensure they are flowing. If none of this helps, trade it for an '05 GL1800, I did - Good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
510 Posts
imported post

Just out of curiosity, what are you calling "Overheating"?

My temp guage will sit at barely 1/8th scale when going down the freeway but within a few mins of stop-and-go traffic (Seattle style), it will rise up to half-scale (+ a wee bit). The Fan kicks on at 1/2 scale, and holds the tamp guage at 1/2 + a hair. For those not familiar with how the temp guage reacts, this could be somewhat scary, especially if your car is like mine, and the thermostat never rises past its "Happy place".

A note:

Your fan was not designed to operate on a 100% duty cycle. If you run it as such, you are risking a burnout. I suggest you look at replacing the thermostat switch, and get it wired back the right way.
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
My temp guage will sit at barely 1/8th scale when going down the freeway but within a few mins of stop-and-go traffic (Seattle style), it will rise up to half-scale (+ a wee bit). The Fan kicks on at 1/2 scale, and holds the tamp guage at 1/2 + a hair. For those not familiar with how the temp guage reacts, this could be somewhat scary, especially if your car is like mine, and the thermostat never rises past its "Happy place".
Get the same results here in the Tacoma area though so far the fan has only kicked in rarely. My 1200 ran cooler in the same conditions, One big radiator might be better or perhaps the big fan moved more air.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
286 Posts
imported post

Timing and carboration would be my places to look... too lean always makes for a HOT bike...



Marty :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what are you calling "Overheating"?
Definitely on the verge of "overheating." My needle shoots right up to just below the red area on the right. IfI let it sit, it will probably venture into the red zone. Bad, bad, bad.:?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
imported post

come to think of it, my '78 thermostat heads nearly there before the fan kicks on and has done so since I bought it is 1978, never had any boil over and the bike has 112,000 miles

just a thought
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
come to think of it, my '78 thermostat heads nearly there before the fan kicks on and has done so since I bought it is 1978, never had any boil over and the bike has 112,000 miles

just a thought
just had one of those "oh..." moments.

as in, wonder if I am making too much out of this... :?but I would rather be safe than sorry. since the thermostat opens at 180F and the water pump is new, I'll be buttoning up the whole thing this coming weekend - if time permits - and let everyone know if a cure was found or if the needle still floats right on up to the right side.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Motorcycle Jack :gunhead: Update your profile and complete the LOCATION slot and tell us where you live. :whip:

:jumper: :18red: :jumper:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
imported post

the other weird guage thing my '78 does, is the voltage gauge... 14 volts when I start it up... but after a long drive goes to about 12 volts.... has done this since new as well and it has no problem keeping the battery charged...
I always have assumed the problem was in the guge not elsewhere
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
the other weird guage thing my '78 does, is the voltage gauge... 14 volts when I start it up... but after a long drive goes to about 12 volts.... has done this since new as well and it has no problem keeping the battery charged...
I always have assumed the problem was in the guge not elsewhere
I'm impressed with your 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' attitude! Your longevity with the 78 and the mileage racked up prove it works!

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
imported post

and the key is that the battery always stayed charged, and, I must admit, I did check it against another guage which showed it at about 14 volts
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top