Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI,I think this subject has been asked about before,but i will ask advice again.My 1200aspencade 1985 over heats after maintaning speeds of 65 to 70mph for longer than 5 minutes,the gauge goes 3/4 of the way up the heat indicator.When islow down to about 50mph it drops to 1/2 way.around town at 30 to 40mph it stays steady at just below 1/2 way.My friend & i have just had engine out to renew alternater new therostat put in &fresh oil Castrol extreme protection 10/40 also fresh anti freeze.Fan is working ok when i swicth engine off then turn ignition on ican hear fan run for about acouple of minutes.also would being a trike affect cooling Thanks for any help on this.bikerfred

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

I am on my second GL1200 and as far as I can see that is normal. It use to worry about itbut that was over 80,000 miles ago.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

I think that it may be an idea to get your cooling system pressure tested, I regularly ride at 70mph+ over long distance and the temp on my 1200 stays at normal the only time it goes up is when sat in traffic.

if your not loosing coolant it could be that a new rad cap is needed.

your radiator may be blocked, try a flushing agent

check the small bore hose from the coolant tank to the radiator throat is in good condition and properly connected at both ends.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

HI,thanks for promt reply will try new rad cap will also check small hose &flush system will get back to you all later bikerfred.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

bikerfred,

What is the ambient air temps that you are riding in? I have an 84 Aspy and here in Kansas it is very warm (high 90's to low 100's) and most of the time in town, my gauge stays at 5 to 6 bars. (4 is half way) Out on the highway, I get 4 to 5 bars at that ambient temperature.

The past few days it has been in the low 80's and in town I have been at 4 to 5 bars.

I don't think that you have anything to worry about. It sounds very normal to me.

I know that the heat build-up around the leg area is pretty unbareable but a set of wind wings set up to pull some air behind the fairing and blow the hot air away will take care of this.

P.S. I know several people from your area. They all work for IPECO Holdings out on Aviation Way.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

Is your Temp meter a digital or analog. Every digital meter I have seen reads about what you are seeing. Let me know if you can improve it though.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

My '85 Aspy runs 4 to 5 bars on it's digital gauge in hot weather.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

4 bars while riding most weather, in town 5-6 bars in hot weather, any higher then the fan kicks in

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

Here in the beeyootiful Valley of the Sun on my 85 Aspy, I run 6 or 7 bars in late afternoon when air temps are 108 or higher, especially at freeway speeds, 70-75 mph. Doesn't seem to bother the bike, but it sure puts a load on the charging system because the cooling fan runs just about all the time. When air temps (and road temps) are cooler, I run a consistent four or five bars. Just recently flushed the cooling system and replaced the coolant. As soon as I get time, I'm gonna synch my carbs again and see if she runs a little cooler.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Here in theNOT so beeyootiful Valley of the Sun (just plain hot & dirty), I run about the same as tdsnuggson my 83 1100 Aspy! The bike has always performed flawlessly even at 120+. Acceleration falls off a little when it's that hot but thats to be expected. Never come close to overheating. I quit worrying about it so much but STILL keep an eye on it!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Something about the temp and gas gauges you need to know:

They are not linear!

On the gas gauge, the 1st 1/4 of the tank is that far-right white square, and the last 1/4 is the red square. This leaves about 2/3 of the gauge to display 1/2 of the tank. The same ting is true with the temp gauge. The small blue sector and the small red sector account for 1/2 of the measurable range, with the vast majority of the gauge dedicated to only half of the measurable range.

Because of this, the reading variations are greatly exaggerated within the center 1/2 scale, and give unreliable readings.

The rule with a temp gauge is that anything above cold, and below hot is thenormal operating temperature range. So, as long as it's in the white, you are ok. If it gets into the red, then pull over, and shut off the engine.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

HI,Chris,thanks forgood advice temp was in thehigh 70,s fahrenheit,gauge did not go into the red so maybe i don`t have to worry to much.Not wing related but i do part time security at HI-TEC SHOES[trainers] just down the road from IPECO.Thanksagain to all members who gave very good advice,this has got to be the best forum on the web for goldwing bikes also for talking to new friends.:DI will do checks on rad cap & flush rad as bike is 20 yrs old dont know when it was last done.One more thing to this monologue ABIG THANKS to Steve Saunders for running this forum:clapper:bikerfred

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

This may have been asked before but does any one know where you can find an aftermarket radiator cap for the gl1200. Last time I checked with Honda it was about 60 dollars.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

bikerfred wrote:
HI,I think this subject has been asked about before,but i will ask advice again.My 1200aspencade 1985 over heats after maintaning speeds of 65 to 70mph for longer than 5 minutes,the gauge goes 3/4 of the way up the heat indicator.When islow down to about 50mph it drops to 1/2 way.around town at 30 to 40mph it stays steady at just below 1/2 way.My friend & i have just had engine out to renew alternater new therostat put in &fresh oil Castrol extreme protection 10/40 also fresh anti freeze.Fan is working ok when i swicth engine off then turn ignition on ican hear fan run for about acouple of minutes.also would being a trike affect cooling Thanks for any help on this.bikerfred

bikerfred, your high speed high heat indication could be caused by many things, from a faulty dash gage or engine temp sender, to a water pump problem, to restricted radiator hoses, to a plugged cooling system, to lean carbs, to late ignition timing, to an air flow problem into the rad, to too high a concentration of antifreeze in the coolant, to a low coolant amount in the engine,to a cam belt timing issue, to dragging brakes.

If it isn't actually overheating & boiling the fluid out of the overflow tank you probably aren't overheating enough to cause you any problems.

Probably pull the radiator cap & make sure the engine is full of coolant (not just the overflow tank),, remove the coolant & make sure the mix isn't too high on antifreeze,, look for twisted or collapsed radiator hoses,, look for anything in front of the rad that could block or alter the air flow,, look for a fuel restriction or flow problem leaning the carbs at high speed,, verify the advanced ign timing is correct,, if nothing else found,pull the water pump & look for eroded pump vanes (I have seen that on a few older wings)..

I don't think you will find a radiator cap causing that problem as that would allow kicking fluid out or boiling the fluid but the rad pressure doesn't change the actual running temp of the engine. If a failed cap isn't allowing fluid to be pulled back in at cool down that could be a problem but that would be seen when the cap is pulled to verify the amount of coolant in the engine.

No doubt the fact that your are running a trike is somewhat effecting your high speed heat the engine is producing. You are pushing more air & are carrying more weight so the engine is definitely working harder at speed.

I have seen a few of the older Wings that do tend to have skewed temperature gauges but that is usually across the board & not JUST at high speeds.If your temp is normal at low speeds but high at high speeds that doesn't soungd gauge related.. My personal 1200 runs at 3 bars on the temp gauge from 5 mph to 114 mph, the only time I will see that raise a little is long idling in stop & go traffic on a very hot day.

What are you running for rear gearing? If geared too high the engine might be overloaded at high speeds. Maybe try running a gear lower as a test to see if the temp will come down a little.

It probably has nothing to do with your fan either as that has little effect at high speeds,, in fact a spinning fan can actually impede air flow through the rad at high vehicle speeds (that is why most new automobiles tun the fan off at highway speeds.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

HI,Twisty don!t want to go on too much about overheating,but i will get fuel mixture checked out,thanks for other advice i will carry out other checks next week & see if it makes trike run cooler.Knew i should have stuck to two wheels,still what else can you do when you get to my age:baffled:bikerfred.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

bikerfred wrote:
Knew i should have stuck to two wheels,still what else can you do when you get to my age.
On that age thing.. Just do what I do, ride the two wheels & keep your feet up//

Twisty..:action:

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
bikerfred wrote:
Knew i should have stuck to two wheels,still what else can you do when you get to my age.
On that age thing.. Just do what I do, ride the two wheels & keep your feet up//

Twisty..:action:
Keeping your feet up is very important. I use to dirt bike years ago and I had a natural response to stiff leg the bike in a bad turn. Well I tried to stop my gold wing when it slide during a slow speed turn in gravel, 3 operations later after twisting my right foot around backwards. I have forced myself to practice falling over in the yard and keeping my feet on the floorboards. The engine guards are very strong and much easier to replace then knees.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

HI,Twisty good suggestion will stay with the trike much safer,better close subject ,no disrespect to anyone but my age is not Goldwing related so i will try to stick to bike problems,thanks to everyone for their help.Not that i am touchy about my age :Dbikerfred

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.