Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Temp gauge goes as far as it can to hot! Checked thermostat and it opens like specs say, but by the time (short time) it opens the gauge is buried ? Fan was working all the time before I removed the rad to replace T. belts, now not at all..I can wire up a switch for the fan but the gauge? False reading?

Add Note: Temp gauge acted the same before the radiator was removed. :pumpkin:

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Hi,

Sound like a short on the wire from the sender unit, on most set ups, shorting the wire proves the gauge is working or not, when shorted the gauge will go to the top of the scale.

Nick

Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks W. Winger, but it climbs a little slower than a short I think? Maybe 5 to 8 min. from cold to on fire...

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Ah right, in that case I would suspect the sender unit.

Nick

Welsh Winger

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Another quick thought, as I mentioned if you short the wire on the sender the gauge shuold shoot up to top of the scale, that will prove both, the gauge and the sender.
Nick
Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Ok, thanks... Can this 2 pole switch mistakingly be hooked backwards?

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Which 2 wires? as Normally the sender for the gauge is only 1 wire, I really need to look at a wiring diagram for your bike, are you looking at the fan switch?

Nick
Welsh Winger

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the coolant level with the engine warmed up and the radiator cap off?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Im new to the wing please bare with me, but isnt the sending unit just behind the thermostat and screwed in from the outside showing 2 copper poles?

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

another thing to check is the regulater that powers the gauge, power to the gauge should read 7 volts, 12 v into the reg and 7v out, if it reads 12v out its faulty

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Sheriff the fluid is ok, just flushed and changed.

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

I am fairly sure that is the fan switch, so the next question is were is the temp sensor? Again without a workshop Manuel I am not sure as it a while since I looked at a 1000.

Here is a plan, if you short those 2 wire with the ignition turned on I bet the cooling fans will run, then you will need to look over the engine casing for a sensor with 1 wire, having said that there are 2 one is for the oil, that is mounted low down near the belts.

I will ring a mate for his help and get back to you.

Nick

Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Ok I'm confused, who is sheriff?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

He is the 8th post, and watching you. :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Right, the gauge sensor is loctaed on the right hand side of the bike just behind the front carb, it is not far away from the 2 wire switch for the fans.

Nick

Welsh Winger

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Ok, let me put it this way. Did you "burp the baby"? Along with all the suggestions this one is just as important. If you didn't burp the baby when refilling the radiator then you have less coolant in the system than you think. I don't care how much coolant is in the overflow bottle, it's what's in the radiator that counts at this point.

Look at my avatar, I'm the sheriff!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

You had to be at the Calhoun rally to know what it means.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

did you take out the thermostat? if so it MUST be reinstalled with the little hole at the top, or you will end up with an air bubble blocking your thermostat and not allowing the coolant to circulate

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I did burp da baby and the lil hole on the thermo is up top like it was before I took it out to test cook it.... I took her out yesterday for her 1st little trip, 62 miles and all seemed to be ok. No leaks, no steam, but the gauge never left the hot post. I cant be comfortable flying blind not knowing if it is frying the engine. I will burp it again!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

That narrows it down some then. Now we're looking at a bad 7v regulator, bad sender unit or bad wiring. When checking the temp and gas gauges, do not test them with 12 volts or you will fry them. Like mentioned in another post, the regulator will have 12v in and 7v out.

I'm downloading the manuals for that model now, will let you know more when I've had a chance to look at them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.