Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Yesterday while driving home from Atlanticade with my better half and myself on the Wing, I found she was getting a little hot, the bike not my wife :). So hot that my legs could feel it on the normal pegs. Looked at the temp gauge it and it was heading for the red zone. Pulled off, let the bike cool for a bit, checked the overflow tank and found it empty. I have not noticed any leaks from this bike. Lucky for me there was spare water in the saddle bags (I know I have to drain everything and refill with proper coolant... what type should I be putting in?) After a few more minutes of letting everything cool back on the road.... Temp gauge heads right back for the Red zone, faster I go the faster it takes off, I notice that the Fuel gauge is "pinned" above the Full point... slow down drive a little further and BANG temp gauge drops down to the normal range and fuel gauge drops to where it should be....

So after all that here is the big question. Did the bike actually overheat causing both gauges to pin out? Did I get a short somewhere causing it. I know that there should have been coolant in the overflow tank and don't know where it went. Totally baffled and just a little worried here, I want to keep this beautiful big red bike rolling down the road for a while longer. Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Blaine

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a combination of problems, shorted wiring or shorting voltage reducer caused the gauges to peg.

The coolant tank being empty is a concern because the cooling system is a closed system and should rarely need coolant added unless there is a leak or a blown head gasket.
A blown head gasket will also cause the coolant temp to read higher but not peg the gauge like you described.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

You may have overheated the first time.. but the temp gage and fuel gage heading to the top simutaneously suggests that the 7v regulator (that power both gages and the self cancel box) is flakey... this 7v volt regulator can be bought or made.. do a forum search..

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

The often suggested antifreeze is Honda Type 2, in the 3.78 litre jug from a Honda Car dealership. Part number CA66688. Non-silicate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.