Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys,

Sorry haven't been on in a while, been gone. I've got a problem that is befalling me. My bike keeps overheating! I have replaced the water pump! had a replacement thermostat in, but went back to the old one. changed fluids ect. still overheats. It idles fine oil isn't emulsified, no steam from exhaust. Start and runs but then after a while it heats ups and never goes down. I had no problems this summer, took a 500-600 mile trip in the dead of summer no problems. came home and the bike sat for a couple of weeks due to rain, and then all of a sudden it started overheating. drained the fluid, checked thermostat, waterpump operation, and it still overheats! Help!!!!!

thankls Bob

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yea fans coming on, never noticed oil milky, nor any sweet smell from exhaust

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,586 Posts
imported post

Is it boiling over, or just showing hot on the gauge? Is the gauge getting into the red? Is the fan running all the time?

When I had a head gasket problem, the bike ran warmer but didn't ride into the red. If yours gets into the red there should be other overheating symptoms. If none, maybe it's just the gauge or the sending unit.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Bad radiator cap is opening too soon and therefore not keeping the coolant under pressure.

The cap is rated from 10-13psi as are all 1000-1500's, the 1800 is rated 15-16psi. After two replacements I changed mine to a higher rating cap and have had zero problems since.

You might also have a tiny leak in the head gasket that only opens up when hot, and thus leaking cylinder pressure into the cooling system only when hot. This would prematurely boil the coolant, but seal up and not leak into the cylinder when cool enough.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

I'm with Denis on the fan, when it runs does it actually have at least 12.5V to the fan? If your fan thermoswitch or your connectors to the fan are on the "ify" side that would cause the fan to spin not fast enough. Also the fan itself could be not pulling enough air(not spinning fast enough even with the correct voltage)

Have you pulled spark plugs to "read" them?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Fan seems to come on when it should. Yes its boiling! But when I shut it down it cools fairly fast. No I haven't pulled the plugs

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,586 Posts
imported post

Cooling systems are so simple even I can understand them.

A liquid is pushed through the motor, where it collects the heat and then through a radiator, which dissipates that heat. Repeat.

Anything that interferes with that cycle is a problem, but with today's systems, problems are rare.

In the early stages of head gasket failure, an oil film may be present in the neck of the radiator. But, if the bike is boiling over, head gasket symptoms would be more pronounced, I'd think.

If the system was low on liquid, that should show up in theoverflow tank.

If the liquid is circulating correctly, that would rule out blockages in the motoror radiator, including a bad thermostat. Is the water pump OEM?

That leaves external blockage. Have you removed the radiator and washed it out from the back side? Is there anything that could interfere with the air flow? Driving lights? Doo-dads on the fender? An aftermarketchrome radiator grill?

The system is simple, so the answer must be simple too.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks guys! Maybe an air bubble! There are no obstructions to the radiator that I can see. Flushed tax, engine, water pump,extra. Every conceveable way

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks guys! Maybe an air bubble! There are no obstructions to the radiator that I can see. Flushed tax, engine, water pump,extra. Every conceveable way

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

What's the condition of the radiator. Is there a bunch of crud crammed in the cooling fins? Is there a bunch of rust and gunk gumming up the passages. If you're sure the thermostat is opening and fluid is flowing through the hoses at temp, I'm thinking a radiator issue. Problems can arise when people don't use distilled water in a cooling system, especially when alluminum is involved.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

You can leave the radiator cap off and let the bike run. Once it starts warming up and the thermostat opens you should see the coolant circulate. This is also the way you would get any air bubbles out of the system. What is the indication that it is overheating? What is your gauge reading on the dash?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

The gushed max's out it then boils. The tax OS good. No crux put side. I did run with cap off when it origionally started with this, and watched the fluid go down. Took the thermostat out and tested it in a pot on the stove.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

medic08 wrote:
The gushed max's out it then boils. The tax OS good. No crux put side. I did run with cap off when it origionally started with this, and watched the fluid go down. Took the thermostat out and tested it in a pot on the stove.

huh? :shock::cheeky1:

Sounds like you have coolant flowing and as long as you checked the flow again after re-installing your thermostat you probably don't have an air bubble. If you cooling system isn't causing the over heat issue then about the only two things I can think of is timing or a leaking head gasket. I wouldn't really suspect timing though.

·
1984 GL1200 Interstate
58 Posts
imported post

"took a 500-600 mile trip in the dead of summer no problems."

Dead of summer= dead bugs and road construction. Check the front of the radiator for dead bugs and little tar balls. It appears your water flow is good but do you have adequate air flow through the radiator?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.