Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i have an extra tall and wide windshield on my 1500. on a recent trip i checked my mileage at 70mph i was only getting 37 mpg. what's worse when i bumped up to 75-80 it dropped to 32 mpg.
stupid question time; you think the windshield is the culprit? everything is in proper tune, and i used the cruise as much as possible. i'm just disappointed about my mpg. my old GL1100 got 45+ regularly.

Robin

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

When I raised the W/S on my Windbender and took advantage of North Dakota's 75MPH highways my mileage seemed to really drop. I didn't calculate how much but the gas gauge needleseemed to drop really fast.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

i think its just the 1500 engine size & the bike not being geared for that 75mph speed. i had a slipstreem windsheild on my bike when i got it & changed it to the oversized tall standard style windsheild after breaking the 1st one but i didn't notice any milage change between them. if you drop down to 55mph you could get up to 48mpg out of it is experience but i blow 85mph all the time getting about 36mpg & thats running regular gas & probably the original air filter with 78,000 miles on the bike.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Nobbie,

would like to hear more about the windbender winshield.
does it keep the wind from beating up the passenger, and still let you see look over the top of the windbender.

:headbanger:

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

motorcycles compared to cars and not very aerodynamic, putting a bigger shield on will probably make it worse, guess the only way to really check is put the old screen back on for a while and see what mpg you get. 1500s seem to get various diferent mpg, some are good and some are really bad. Cruise control also noramlly uses more fuel as well as its always trying to maintain the same speed

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

Moto - I ride (well used to anyway) a 1500 with another member of this forum who was also on a 1500 at the time. My windshield was tall and wide - his was stock I believe. Our gas mileage was pretty close - maybe a buck a fill cheaper on his.

I found the 1500 gas mileage dropped significantly when the tach was running above 3300.

·
Premium Member
61,458 Posts
imported post

The Wings I've ridden with that have the stock windshield do about the same gas mileage as I do with the high Tulsa.. I don't think the large windshield is that big a factor, But going over the 3k rpm mark will start the gas to flow.. Also hearted grips and heaters will cause a drop in mileage through the extra load on the alternator....

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Big John .25 wrote:
Nobbie,

would like to hear more about the windbender winshield.
does it keep the wind from beating up the passenger, and still let you see look over the top of the windbender.

:headbanger:
I've never had a passenger on this bike so I can't comment. I have both the regular and extended Windbenders. The PO used the extended version when his wife rode with him so I assume it made a difference.

I usually ride with the short one and have it in the lowest position. Some buffeting but not unbearable.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

My mileage significantly drops when I ride over the 3000 mark. If I am conservative I get pretty good mileage, I'm only giving the difference between the two rpm figures as I ride a trike and have a good drop in mileage overall anyway.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,711 Posts
imported post

My experience with my gl1500se with a 29" tall windscreen that overlapped the hand grips about 1" each side.

33 mpg, day in and day out. I nearly always rode freeways to work and back. Average traffic speeds are 75 to 85. Maybe 1/4 of the time, traffic would be at 65, but then it would just come to a halt at 5 to 10 mph stop and go stuff.

Bike consistently gave me 33 to 33.4 mpg and it was in good tune and ran very good.

On a trip to San Diego and back from Phoenix. It averaged 27 mpg and the trip speed averaged 87 mph according to the Garmin GPS.

Push that throttle, pull the wallet out.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

I agree with the 3000 rpm. I notice a drop in gas mileage when I push over that. although I love to get great gas milage, I would rather get there a little faster or go with the traffic and not get run over

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

My 1500 came with the extra huge windshield & it was suffocating, even with the vent. I tossed it.

Also, I had an extra tall once & hit a low spot in some little hills in the early evening & it fogged over instantly, + a vehicle was coming towards me with headlights....on a slight curve.

I was barely able to stand on pegs, in time, to see over the blanked-out windshield & keep the bike on the road....too close.

Tough lessons there. Now I use a standard windshield with no vent & it works well solo or 2up.

Mileage is a minor concern, compared to other consequences...to my thinking.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

hello all, today i talked with a PGR member today. his wing is set up very similar to mine, and he confirm what has been said here. go over 3000rpm's and the mileage drops.
this makes me feel much better. i now know my tune-up and carb settings are correct. i can live with the mileage. the Harley 42+ mpg , the Triumph 45 mpg, riding from sun-up to sundown in total comfort.........priceless!!!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

And run her up to 35 to 3700 and you'll see it reduced by close to half.:shock: My experience anyway. The 1800 does not react that way probably due to EFI.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.