Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, just got a new Amex air miles card with a low introductory rate or 2.99%. So I thought I would exercise my new found credit(You know what they say, "If you don't use it you loose it:) ) and get the Cylemax replacement headlight for my 97 1500. Am looking for fit, finish and quality opinions from anyone who has purchased it. And does it give you more light down the road then the old style. Thanks

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

I haven't bought one but in the description, it states that it is the OEM headlight assembly for 98-00. The clear style is supposed to cast a better light. And it is plug and play. The only thing that may come into play is when a headlight bulb needs to be replaced. You will needSHIMS if you wish to replace with an H-4 bulb. If you are buying it from Cyclemax, you can be pretty sure that it is a quality item. I have toyed around with buying that kit as well but have been holding off.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer, in a nutshell=HONDA. So if they are selling OEM parts, then they are getting them from Honda, and the quality is as good as Honda makes it, and has nothing to do with Cyclemax. I have spent thousands on stuff from Cyclemax over the years, and have always been totally happy. It's my favorite online aftermarket parts supplier. Great people to deal with.:claps:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

I am hoping to order in a few days just the headlight assembly with the wiring,45w bulbs etc. on it from cyclecentralpowersports.com and part #33100-MAM-A80 for $201.18 and will get the shims(adapter) for my Silverstars if they have them also. E-bay has them too for $11.89 shipped from a place in Canada.
I will just keep my old turn signals and save some money. New 1998-2000 turn signals have a clear lens and then you have to use an amber bulb and the newer wiring harness and socket.
If I have the low beam high enough that i can see something , then the high beam is in the trees.
The adjustment on mine for the HIGH beam only doesn't do anything anymore. It moved a little and that was all.
Even with Silverstar ZXE, it isn't as good as my 750 Honda and ONE regular Silverstar and Bosch lens assembly.
The old headlight is glass lens and the new are plastic like most cars nowadays.
Too many deer here and i need to see them ASAP. lol

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys for the replies.

"This is a set of OEM Honda 1998-2000 style headlight and turn signals"

This is from the Cyclemax description, it is a OEM Honda STYLE headlight not necessarily OEM from Honda. This is why I would like to hear from anyone who bought the light, and what their views are. It is alot of money I just would like to know if it is worth it and if it does give better light.

I too have bought from Cyclemax and have always been happy with the service. I got my Compufire from them and have been very happy with it.

Indianawantsme wrote:

"New 1998-2000 turn signals have a clear lens and then you have to use an amber bulb."

On my brothers two 2000s the turn signal lenses are clear but there is a amber inner lens around the bulb so clear bulbs are used.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

Not trying to mince words but me thinks you are reading a little too hard into the description. It says they are OEM Honda. It doesn't say OEM style. But it does say it is the 1998-2000 style (as opposed to the 1988-1997 style). At least that's what I got out of it. JMHO. Now I may be wrong but contacting Gary over at Cyclemax would surely clear this up.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

Do talk to Cyclemax yourself and hear what they have to say so you know the answers first hand.
I called them the other day and whoever i talked to said the bulb is amber in the turn signal and they are headlight assy's from Honda and are 1998-2000 style and OEM, and not the earlier style OEM 88-97 . I guess he was wrong about the amber bulb if your brothers both have the amber inner lens and clear bulbs.
Hmmm. How is the light output from your brothers? You have the chance to actually see them for yourself if they live close to you and you can put the bikes side by side or drive one of theirs. Do they have the 45/45w bulbs in theirs yet?

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

My brothers bike still has the 45/45w and I have 55/60w in mine. We don't live that far apart but it can be hard to get together sometimes. His light may have an amber bulb in the turn signal, I never took it out of the socket, but there seems to be an amber inner lens as well. I know when I am in front during the day his headlight seems much easier to see and his front turn signals a much brighter then older 1500s I have been in front of.

I know I seem a little nit picky about the wording used by Cyclemax, but I have been burned in the past by a twist of a phrase. I don't think Cyclemax would do that but for me it is allot of money especially with the cost of shipping to Canada. Even with my introductory intrest rate from Amex.:readit:

Thanks again gentlemen.

·
Site Sponsor
24 Posts
imported post

I know I am a little late with this but, it has been hectic here. The headlight that we are selling on our website is OEM Honda. You will receive it in a Honda box with Honda part numbers on it. I used the word "style" to designate the difference between the 1998-2000 style and the 1988-1997 style. The turn signals have small amber lenses and clear bulbs. If anyone wants to purchase just the headlight or just the turn signals, they are available on our "OEM Parts" page. Anytime I use the term OEM in my descriptions, it means that the part is from Honda. Let me know if you have any other questions. Ride safe.

Gary

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Gary. Just the information I needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.